Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Second project: Spyder Power/Double Trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Cat_Of_Ages, Jun 18, 2022.

?

Go for it?

Poll closed Sep 12, 2022.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Wait for a better one.

18 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Owner is working on the title, he said 1000 for price, im willing to pay that for a car ive been wanting for this long.

2. Walnuts and golfballs

SS327 likes this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's totally nuts.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If a title can be produced, go for it at $1k. Even if it turns out to be a dud, you can probably flip it for parts for that.

ClarkH, SS327, Squablow and 1 other person like this.
  5. Just FYI...I have learned over the years that asking my car buddies whether I should buy some old car isn’t the group I should ask most of the time. For one, they all like spending my money so typically tell me to “go for it”. And...they all have this same car “problem” I have. We are terrible accountability partners when it comes to this stuff. :rolleyes:

bchctybob, brEad, Thor1 and 13 others like this.
  6. gene-koning

gene-koning

I believe its going to be a pretty big project. I also believe if its too big, you can get your money back by parting it out.
    When I was a young man, those were the two big requirements of me buying a project. The only other requirement was if I really like it, which is what is required to keep working towards completion of big projects.
    You say you really like it.
    Looks like you are 3 out of three, so far.
    Got the money and the space? 5 out of five.
    The last requirement is being able to remove it from its current position, and then getting it back off the trailer when it gets home.
    Good luck with your new project.

7. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I’d be on it like a fat kid on a cookie, sadly just too far away. Metal can be replaced, tube frames can be made, follow your dreams

Cosmo49, The_Cat_Of_Ages and SS327 like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

I agree. As long as it's got paperwork, I don't think you can get hurt. Hopefully it'll be a winner project with little unseen rot and a saveable drivetrain, but at that price even if it turns to complete shit you'll still come out fine in the end, no real big risk.

The_Cat_Of_Ages and guthriesmith like this.
  9. SS327

SS327

Atleast you know the radiator is ok and don’t need to be replaced. I’ve lost more money on less, but I would never part out a rare car like that.

10. I do need to check the cooling tins and see if they are still in existence underneath...

guthriesmith likes this.
  11. SS327

SS327

That is very true!

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thats a deal at $1,000. Friend in school had one, it kept shooting a sparkplug out. :D We didn't know what a heli-coil was then. lol.

The_Cat_Of_Ages, Algoma56 and SS327 like this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

IMHO, unless you really want to restore the Corvair and your goal is to enjoy the process as much as the car itself, you're out of your mind to buy one in this condition. You could buy a really nice turbo 4 speed car for $15,000. Yes, that's a lot more than $1,000 that this one might cost you, but there is also 0% chance you could turn the $1,000 car into the $15,000 car for the difference of $14,000.

rmcroadster, curbspeed, hrm2k and 4 others like this.
  14. SS327

SS327

If it is as solid as he says it is, it is a little cream puff. Hell even if it is half as solid it’s still worth it.

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  15. Its not that i want to buy a nice one, its more that i want to modify this one how i like aswell as restore it over time. Building even if it costs more, will always be more fun than buying.

Plus, if no one else is going to save it, why not?

16. Budget36

Budget36

Well, maybe he doesn’t have 15k around to buy a car? Sure, but one for a grand, might spend 30k to “restore” it over time, but that’s spare money he would be using “over time” and not going in a hole off the bat.
    We could all buy finished vehicles, yes, it’s less expensive when worked out over time, but I’ve never been in a position (nor wanted when I was close) to go dead broke to buy a vehicle. I’d buy a fixer and put a bit into it when I could.
    Or do you know a place that finances 60+ year old vehicles?

Texas57, The_Cat_Of_Ages and SS327 like this.
  17. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

My suggestion: If you want to learn more about the Corvair hobby make plans to drive up to Ann Arbor, Michigan the weekend of July 7-8-9th and check out the annual Corvair Homecoming event at the Wyndham Garden Hotel (Jackson Road & I-94). There will be more than 100 Corvair enthusiasts there as well as close to that many Corvairs on display. There is also a swap meet where you could talk with folks that have Corvairs and Corvair parts available. It could help you make an informed decision on the '63 Spyder.

18. SS327

SS327

At a grand, he’s not going to get hurt. It’s one of his holy grail cars. Don’t forget to replace the bearings in the fan also! They are fun, simple little cars to work on.

19. I need a drivers side mirror too... unless its in the frunk.

20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

There are absolutely companies that finance collector vehicles.

21. fuzzface

fuzzface

Congrades on your new toy. Have plenty of fun with it.

I own a few show cars, a few I consider drivers and a few project cars. The ones I enjoy most are the drivers and project cars. I originally got the show car bug from my dad but I just got burnt out from babysitting them at shows and it didn't help getting 3 damaged in one year at different events I thought were safe. I decided it wasn't worth over restoring and worrying about them whenever you take them out.

But the daily drivers are a different story for me. Love running them up and down the road, taking them to lunch at the bar and know what, I don't have to worry about them. If they get a new scratch , no problem just adds character. you just shrug it off. Not on a show car though, it ruins your lunch, the day and all week actually.

Even my project cars I enjoy more because I like tinkering with them. Build and bring them back to life. That is the part I like versus sitting at a crowded event in a chair, no thank you.

Don't get me wrong. There are guys that rather do that like my dad and there is nothing wrong with that but I would enjoy that $1,000 project corvair versus a $30,000 one you just look at and polish everyday and the little bit I know you, I think you would get more enjoyment and experience out of this one.

Enjoy it, I know I would.

22. "Like a lawn mower" is what ive heard. This car seems "old persons sports car" to me as it only has 49k, and has no signs of salt damage, just mud rot.

SS327 likes this.
  23. After the Fairlane is done... well rather, before its even done, i will wash it, clean it out, put a piece of flat steel over the floor hole, then a brick on the steel, then toss a bunch of irish spring in it.

SS327 likes this.
  24. Squablow

Squablow

For people who like to work on them, building them is half of the fun. Sure, you could buy one done for less money, but that's not the point. I don't buy a jigsaw puzzle because it's a cheaper way to get a picture of a barn.

25. It has aluminum heads, if you under or overtorque it, it will shoot it out. Same issue modern 5.4 liter modulars have, you just have to be smart about installing them.

SS327 likes this.
  26. If it wasn't a turbo car, I'd say walk away. All I can say is TURBO!!! Get it man.

Got this from Finnegan:
    fsm_finer_things_20_1.jpg

27. Roadkill was such a fun show to watch when I was younger, too bad its behind a paywall now...

28. Strange... i decoded the vin, it says its a 900 model, not a spyder... but it has all the spyder trim and parts

Perhaps 06 is only for convertable 'vairs?

29. gene-koning

gene-koning

Congrats, you probably just bought a base model car someone else upgraded.
    Does it change if you still like the car or not because it isn't a purebred?
    At this point, you really have the chance to do whatever you want, without destroying a purebred vintage early performance car. You have all the parts and no guilt for making it your own.

SS327 likes this.
  30. SS327

SS327

You could always plant the walnuts and grow trees then sell the wood in 50 years for a fortune. :D
    On a more serious note though weren’t those built on a lesser model then upgraded from the factory?

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.