Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jalopy...which motor...which steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alphabet soup, Jun 23, 2022.

1. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

If there's a good chance you'll flip it in a few years, definitely 283! SBC is a commodity. FWIW, none of my 9 cars have any form of SBC (I'm into "keepers").

chryslerfan55 and alphabet soup like this.
  2. Gene, the Pinto engine would have to work too hard to move the car down the road. I know a guy that put a Pinto engine / transmission in an early Model "T". He found out that it could hardly get out of it's own way.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That 2000 CC 2.0 Ford is no slouch with a few speed goodies and is used in racing classes world wide.
    If that thing isn't going to have doors it doesn't need anything that will push it over 60 anyhow as I'll guarantee that 80% of the guys who responded to the post would be looking for what ever they could grab to hang on at 70.
    I've ridden in a very similar body on a T bucket chassis and going around the on ramp from Valley mills drive to I 35 as the passenger in that thing convinced me that no doors and not much above the seat body wise wasn't as much fun as it looked. I had that body in my garage for two years and sold it to someone in Texas around 1975.

The 283 and an aluminum glide would look great and no doubt increase resale value a bit but in that car the way that body is you are just not going to need V8 power except for Bubba factor.

4. Whether the pinto engine is fabulous or not, it WILL be a turn off to a lot more potential buyers than the 283 will.

5. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok...let me see if I can answser all.
    1-I was hoping I would get some replies, but didn't think so many. So I'm going to say, I read every one and will like them all!!!
    2-I didn't think about a poll and don't know how to set one up anyhow.
    3-The 283 runs really nice and the PG is fresh.
    4-It has a GM G-body rear, but whoever put it in (I'm into this thing fourth or fifth in line) is no welder. So going faster then my nephew on his go-kart is not in the plans for now.
    5-And yes, selling it in the future is in the plans.
    6-So I'm am thinking 283.
    Thanks again for all the replies!!

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes to all three...
    Ice cream
    Bobby's mom

7. pkhammer

pkhammer

I'm a Ford guy and Not a Chevy guy but given those two choices I'd definitely go with the 283!

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell everyone it’s 400 SBC.

9. I would use the pinto engine before I ever put a small block chev in anything !!! Sbc screams look at me I cheaped out !!!

10. indyjps

indyjps

283, and of course its from a vette.

Save the flathead if you ever fall onto a pile of money and can't quite spend it all, go ahead and rebuild it then.
    Wait, would the pinto engine make more power than the flathead... I'm headed into dangerous territory:D

It's a cool funky ride, get it on the road and go have some fun.

11. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I'll take the flattie off your hands for ya...

12. If you have to put it together cheaply , I would use the 283 , hell you can walk up just about anybody s driveway and get parts if broke down ,everyone has chev stuff in the garage .
    I have walked away from nice cars for sale only because of the small block chev ,knew I would have to do an engine swap.

13. 1pickup

1pickup

Keep the flathead. It will sound better & look cooler than your other choices. Plus, it will never make enough power to snap those shitty welds on the rear end. Win, Win, Win.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

283 if it’s mild that A frame will handle it fine

alphabet soup and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

I am not much for SBC in everything, but for that, the 283 seems like a reasonable choice.
    I loathe the pinto 2000 engines, for no good reason really.
    With the 283 you could pretty easily swap on some scrip valve covers, a oil filler in the intake, a 12v generator and a few other little touches to give it a nice late '50s look.

16. The ever popular (for a reason) 283 of course.

17. All other engines are just placeholders until you can get a SBC.

The polls are closed. :rolleyes:

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As they say, "There is no replacement for displacement" 283.

19. RmK57

RmK57

Both engines are pretty lame with the Pinto engine being a bit lamer than the other.

Go with the V8.

alphabet soup likes this.
  20. chucka

chucka

Very interesting. Read the original post. Then read Jimmy six's post. Read it again. He's got it!

alphabet soup likes this.
  21. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Glad you made the right choice. That Powerglide does what you need with weight like that.
    Have a ton o' fun.

22. indyjps

indyjps

Well I didn't get gutted for my flathead comments, you guys are going soft :eek:
    This is a fun little car, having a little fun in the thread.

$400 for "running" engine and trans is hard to beat - if it's actually good to go.

What's the parts list and approx cost to get it in the car and driving ?
    - Headers, maybe use stock manifold
    - any steering mods needed to fit ?
    - exhaust, 1" pipe on there now is sketchy
    - Driveshaft
    - Engine and trans mounts
    - starter / generator - may need rebuild
    - water pump
    - belts, hoses, gaskets, paint, tune up
    - cam swap, always part of sbc threads:D

23. Squablow

Squablow

If you're going to sell it anyway, I personally feel like the time and effort it'll take to do an engine swap into that chassis that already has some "questionable" welding work done on the rearend is going to be a big waste of time. I'd either build it to keep it, or sell it as-is, with the buyer knowing they're getting a project that will need to be reworked.

As it sits, (and again, just my personal opinion, but...) the flathead drivetrain is the coolest part of the car.

24. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do plan to change/fix the rear issue.
    Right now just looking to make it drive around the neighborhood. I wouldn't sell it to anyone the way it is. I really didn't even want to get involved with the project, but it was something I took in payment for work done.

25. Since you're gonna dump it anyway, why throw money at it? You took it the way it is, so will somebody else. Why waste time and money on something you yourself said you don't want?

26. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I can't tease someone for saying terrible things about flatheads. I own one, lol, so I totally get it... But I still love it.

alphabet soup and indyjps like this.
  27. 31Apickup

31Apickup

A hurst style front mount on that 283 and it’ll drop right on those motor mounts, no fabbing new mounts.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  28. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been asking myself that from the begining! I guess I don't know the answser? Gene.

29. ...Maybe he just likes a challenge.