Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Florida Man Breaks Rules

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 22, 2022.

1. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Yeah, that cars a beauty. I always think airplane wing when I see a ride like that, what you call the reverse wedge.

I'll say this though about the women part of your post: when I got my car I thought it would be a chick magnet. Turns out it's an old man magnet. Women could pretty much care less, but every old fart I see at the store wants to talk my ear off when I'm driving it, lol.

2. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I caught this car on the latest Deadend YT drop and immediately annoyed my wife by pausing and backing up the video over and over. It just keeps giving as a custom without overstating. Fantastic work all around.

Thank Ryan and Tom for grabbing this one and sharing it!

210superair, Tim and Dallas like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Like many things in Life, it's not what you have, it's how you use it! Love it!!

lothiandon1940, Dallas and hrm2k like this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

as an admirer of 49-52 Chevrolets since before I bought my first one in 1976 the best part about this one is the mild chop. so many of these cars were destroyed by the "I'm more radical than you" contest in the rockasilly days this is refreshing to see.

beautiful car and far better than anything I will ever own but for my tastes the front bumper is too massive. I like the stock one with the guard, or maybe the bumper from the same year Olds. I'd also leave a bit more air in the bags with the "motorboat" stance like they did back in the day.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  5. I can't say just how refreshing it is to hear the head 'traditionalist' admit that when it comes to customs there are no rules.... only art and style.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I’m not the head of anything. I am, however, an absolute elitist when it comes to cars. I very much know what I like and make no apologies for it. :)

If this car had 20" wheels on it, I wouldn't feature it... regardless of the lines.

7. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Video is here:

A Boner, Nostrebor, Tim and 8 others like this.
  8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Start at 16:51 - Very end of episode!

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. belair

belair

Nice car. "More than the sum of its parts." That's what separates the good from the great cars.

Just Gary likes this.
  10. I thought the title was about the EFI:):):)

Cars vibe and look is dang near perfect.

Tman and Dallas like this.
  11. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I'm lovin it. They have the sexiest asses in the Kustom world. I'd love to know more about the injection, the tranny, the front end, the rear end, etc...

Dallas likes this.
  12. Rand Man

Rand Man

I like the car a lot, and agree with your write up.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Well, you're the only guy here with 'Administrator' below his name and this is a 'traditional' site, so in my eyes that makes you the HMFIC.... LOL

But you missed my point; I used the word 'style' very deliberately. The art portion is the execution of the style, it's the style that fits that art into the big picture. Each style contains certain design elements, stay within the style and any other differences don't or shouldn't matter. The use of oversized wheels in this style would violate the basic design elements; it's 'bad art'. This would be like having an art show featuring Fabulists and sticking a Impressionist in the middle of it.

Customizing has a long history with multiple styles over the years, evolving as the cars changed. But the common thread that runs through all of them is the initial belief by the owner/builder that 'I can make this look better'. As been shown many times, actual execution has fell short more often than not, but the many now-iconic cars and their builders became notable as most broke new ground ('broke the rules') and/or had outstanding execution.

Hot Rodders have it easier. As their focus is on the mechanical, proper execution is basically integrating the components so they all work together and the vehicle operates as intended. Not always easy, but there's zero artistic design needed. Sure, they dabble in custom touches (chopped tops on early cars, other minor mods) but those can be for added performance as much as styling statements.

'Traditional' customizing has become rather stale IMO, and I'm not sure why. It seems like almost all you see anymore are endless variation-on-a-theme, 'shockers' or semi-clones, with the same selection of parts used over and over. Part of the problem is many of the original parts are drying up and while some repo parts are out there in limited variety, many more aren't. I don't believe that a fresh take on traditional design can't be accomplished, but you're going to have to cast a wider net for parts IMO. The hang-up on only pre-65 parts is a limiting factor. I'll admit that most later parts aren't always suitable, but that shouldn't disqualify the ones that could be used.

The featured car, while not a style I particularly care for, deserves this recognition for both 'going outside the box' (if only in a small way) and for a great execution.

Tman, Stan Back, Dallas and 1 other person like this.
  14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! I REALLY like that car. What a great job!

15. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

1950 Eldorado Blue. And thank you

41 GMC K-18, Nostrebor, Baumi and 5 others like this.
  16. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That carb is like a pimple on a super model we still look at her beauty same with this car that fact is there was a shit ton of work done to the car and it's near perfect love it.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My opinion is no more valid that your own, but I disagree. In fact, I think the best aspect of traditional customs is the creativity of the people that build them. I’m in awe of a lot of those guys - then and now… and the history is so eccentric and colorful and… Early 40’s styled customs are my favorite, but the 1950’s and 60’s custom scene is not all that different than the 70’s and 80’s art scene in NYC. Vivid.

That history created a genre… And while it’s cyclical, I don’t see that creativity ever dying in my lifetime. If you see it as stale, look harder… get involved… add something to the scene.

hrm2k, K13, 57 Fargo and 5 others like this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I have a 62 impala with a 261 six in it. Yes it's a solid lifter truck engine and would like to know about the carb and intake adapter on that car it,s the shit. Lippy

19. I don’t think this is a carb
    807CDC0D-ADD1-4E7E-B63B-7B70EB3E461B.jpeg
    Neat looking other than the color

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  20. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Dallas referred to it as fuel injection.

Dallas and anthony myrick like this.
  21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

AAAAAH, I didn't see the electronic stuff. I thought it was like a demon or somethin. But no reason I couldn't substitute a 2 bbl carb for it though. I thought it looked weired, thanks. Just never saw that 2 into one adapter before. Lippy

WalkerMD likes this.
  22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Shame on you Ryan. LOL Lippy

23. Believe me, I'm trying. I bought my '60 Ford Sunliner specifically to build into a custom (hopefully a full custom eventually) but life and finances keep getting in the way. My 70 year old carcass isn't helping either.

As to looking harder, I do. But I will admit that I may have the bar set higher than the average guy because of my art background. I have a critical eye, and even a slight miss in a styling cue can make a design look awkward. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all. I do comment on some cars that catch my eye but it's just not as often as I hope for. I treasure the ones that show something truly original, or especially purity of design, both rare occurrences.

And maybe 'stale' is the wrong word. It does seem like customs are in a rut, as the formula for most appears to be chop it, do something to the two ends, then drop it on bags for posing at a show. What happened the channeling, sectioning, quarterpanel grafts, and one loss I really miss, rolled pans? Given the cost of plating bumpers these days, I keep waiting for these to make a comeback, but no sign of them yet. And yes, even quad light conversions. All of these were once common staples in the custom world, seldom seen these days. Another member and I were PMing about this, he made the comment that 'nobody wants to do the heavy lifting anymore'. I have to agree.

24. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

That’s correct Tom. This is a Holy Sniper fuel injection unit. I’ll explain more in a separate post.
    And the pictures are really incredible. Thank you so much

41 GMC K-18, Silva, Nostrebor and 5 others like this.
  25. I like your car @Dallas.
    I'm not a student of the arts, just someone who knows what he likes, and this total package works in my eyes.

26. Everything about that car flows when some of it logically shouldn’t. Thanks for the write up Ryan. That is one well thought out kustom. :cool:

27. catdad49

catdad49

This car "Flows"!

lothiandon1940 and Tom davison like this.
  28. A grocery list of changes
    Many go unnoticed because they are so well done.
    But it’s a mild custom because it’s not over exaggerated, cartoonish or ill proportioned.

The mild custom vs radical custom styling/labeling has always intrigued me for some odd reason.

Nostrebor and Tom davison like this.
  29. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The designation of “class” was determined in the early show era of late-‘40’s-early-‘50’s. These designations are widely misused today as descriptions. I spent a large part of my career around car shows and have judged when asked. The first of four are (1) Moderate: paint, lowering, upholstery and shaving. Watson didn’t invent it, but his mastery of this class in the mid-‘60’s kept customs alive when the other classes faded away. (2) Mild: all of the above plus simple sheet metal work like frenching or more involved metal work such as changing of headlights, taillights and grille surrounds; scoops, door and hood corner rounding, etc. (3) Full, which involves any amount of fabrication you can dream up, except for: (4) Radical. Chopping, channeling, and/or sectioning. Any one or more of these makes the custom Radical.

So, Dallas’ car evokes mild because of his restraint even though technically radical. Even the top evokes mild because said chop is “extremely moderate” and tasteful. But in the end, it’s a radical custom. I greatly admire a chop when, after you initially see it, then think later, “Was it chopped…I think so, but…..?”. That’s Dallas’ Chevy. Also, Kevin Anderson’s ‘63 Riv is the best example I know of: you’re not sure even when you are looking at it! It is, by the way.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    41 GMC K-18, catdad49, drdave and 2 others like this.
  30. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I love this forty. Me,"That's sectioned isn't it?".
    Owner:" One and three quarters!".

DSC_4812.jpg

A Boner, Silva, hrm2k and 9 others like this.