Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Could it be a fuel delivery issue? Weak fuel pump maybe? Have you read the spark plugs?

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or maybe he's waiting for the movie to come out? :cool:

bchctybob, OahuEli, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]
    You may never over come the bog 100% with your combo with a tunnel ram.

chryslerfan55 and sidewayzz69 like this.
  4. I ran the exact same tunnel ram on a 350 in one of my model A Ford's and never had any issues, but it was an edelbrock carburetor lol... you'd think it would work out in this little engine with small displacement and 1.72 intake valves! I'll get it eventually. Not like this engine is permanent anyhow ;) 20220622_133151.jpg

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I see. Nothing to do with the bigger lung's of a 350 and petite waste of the pant's it wear. It was the Edelbrock carb that made a world of difference. ;)

SS327, Dick Stevens and Tickety Boo like this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like the front float bowl is running out of fuel.
    Maybe float level to low.
    Maybe needle and seat to small.
    Maybe needs more jet.

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  7. I sense your sarcasm, it's pretty thick ;) yes small displacement and signal to the intake ports are causing a small issue, but it's kinda like when Scooby-Doo climbs out of the window to get the skeleton key, then climbs back in to unlock the door, to escape the ghost.... there will be a big block in the car shortly, and this will all be trivial :cool:

bchctybob, SS327, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  8. That would be amazing if my little tiny engine was pulling that much fuel huh?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

possible weak fuel pump?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. I'd like to think not, but I guess it's possible. Floats are set to where there is a small amount running out of the bowl at idle. It's parked up on the hill out of sight so I don't think about it until I have time to mess with it lol

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This is why I asked what rpm "it goes".

Wouldn't it fall on it's face even worse if fuel delivery is weak when secondaries open? Or is Lloyd not staying in it long enough so rear bowl goes dry?

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was betting that he wasn’t staying in it long enough to drain the rear bowl. Fuel pump is easy to check though....

14. Oh trust me, I had many shots of bourbon, I stayed in it :D once the secondaries are open it goes like a raped ape, I don't take it easy on anything. Well, except for thinking about that dinky driveshaft when I want to flog it hard off the line :rolleyes: but 2500-3000, then throw it flat to the floor, it's like it is running out of gas, until the secondary throttle shaft starts opening, which you can watch through the windshield, then it straightens up. Which is why I said earlier that I was gonna put the lightest spring in it and see what happens. I just haven't done it. There's no issues at all other than that.

15. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't a heavier spring make the secondary's open sooner or am I thinking of something else? :confused:

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Had the same problem on a buddy’s car a few years back. Changed out the vacuum secondary carbs for a pair of double pumpers with 50cc squirters. Was smooth from idle to top end, no matter where you punched it.

17. I really don’t suspect it’s fuel pump related,,,,,if it was,,,,it would fall on its face after the secondaries opened .
    The same with the float levels,,,and fuel in the bowls .

With my Tunnel Ram on my 440,,,,,it would drain the bowls on two 750’s,,,,in about 3 seconds.
    It was always my fault though,,,,,,it ran on a normal mechanical pump,,,,,,,then I would turn on the Blue pump when I was going to get in it heavy .
    Occasionally,,,,like a moron,,,,I would forget to turn the pump on !
    Right around 6000 in third gear,,,it would nose over and die completely dead .
    The fuel pressure gauge was mounted outside on the cowl,,,right in front of me.
    I could see the needle falling to 0 and then I would try to catch it,,,,but it was too late,,,,lol .
    With the blue pump on,,,,that 440 would rev to 7600,,,,through 4 gears,,,,,like it was a walk in the park .

Well,,,I never did claim to be too bright,,,,LoL .

Tommy

18. No the lighter spring does. It's about the equivalent of when we used to put a screw in the linkage, I'm sure you've done it too lol. The light spring is easier for the vacuum to overcome, so the pod spins the linkage around so that it is affected by the "drag link" from the primary shaft. Did that sound smart? Cause I was digging there lol. If you watch motortrend, watch the new ish roadkill garage, the 41 Ford episode, for the Mexican road race. They were having the exact same issues as me, they changed jets, put a 35 squirter in it, and put the lightest spring in it. Fixed the issue

19. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotcha! For some reason I thought vacuum kept the secondary's closed and as vacuum decreased, the spring opened the secondary's. I'm a Dumb Ass... :oops::oops::oops:

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  20. I honestly can't tell ya how that works, the spring kit has a chart that has approximate ranges as to when the secondaries will open with each spring, but the way I was explained it, they're not 100% accurate due to all of the variables. That's why I wanted the quick change pod. Makes it much easier to experiment. Takes longer to change that damn spring than it does to change jets lol.

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When you put a screw in the vacuum linkage, all you are doing is creating an instant lean out of the fuel since it doesn’t have a squirter in the back throats. It will make one bog until the airflow starts to pull more gas in. That’s what we were experiencing, the double pumpers solved that since it had squirters on both ends.

chryslerfan55 and lippy like this.
  22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If your after mileage, no. To make the stumble go away, DP. The primary shot is gone on your vac sec carb. Lots of plenum you have , no fuel when the secondaries finally come in. There is a minute, spelled MIINUTE area where the butterflies on the secondaries are opening and NO fuel. You need more fuel to cover the stumble up between primaries and secondary butterfly opening. JMO Lippy

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Tickety Boo, Dick Stevens and SS327 like this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like the problem is in the primary side of the carburetor not supplying enough fuel until the secondary's can pick up a vacuum signal.
    Maybe not enough float drop.
    Maybe more jet.

25. Stuck the lightest spring in, the white one. Happy with where the secondaries open but it's still got that tiny bit of stumble. Tickety boo sent me a quick fuel metering plate to switch out with the stock secondary plate so I can try different jets back there, haven't installed that yet. Wondering if maybe the 72 jets i stick in the front are too much? Still haven't switched the accelerator pump either. Took the car over to the drag strip, hauled my ornery ass step daughter with me lol, we had a good time :D 20220701_202351.jpg

26. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pull a plug and show us so we can half ass see what it's doing... Please :D:D:D 72's sound kinda big for a 283 but stranger thing's have been known to work!

Dick Stevens and Moriarity like this.
  27. Lloyd ,
    You had me worried for a minute,,,,I knew that wasn’t Miss Ashley sitting up in there !

Tommy

28. I pulled the oil plug and made a damn mess! But it is oily, does that mean I need more gas? :p:D I'll pull one out tmrw and post a picture. When I was changing stuff at the hot rod reunion I did it all at once, so I couldn't tell if one thing helped or hurt. I put the jets in it, changed the squirter nozzle, and put an orange spring in the secondary's. So I'm planning on putting the 66 jets back in and seeing what happens.

29. Lol nah that's her rugrat, she enjoys going to the drag strip with me. Good kid, just a dramatic 13 year old girl :D

30. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And here I thought Ashley found the Fountain of Youth!!! :D