Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930's style Race Car build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jay A Driggars, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

This project has been the most difficult and rewarding adventure I’ve experienced.
    In late 2016 I ordered the tires and wheels at a local tire shop called Dino’s, they thought I was crazy when I told them that the car didn’t even exist yet. There was no way I was going to attempt the build without the wheels, they are a major component of cars from that era.

I was risking a lot of labor and money on something that was way out of my reach, if you don’t push yourself then you'll most likely never get to the next level.

During the build there were plenty of mistakes made along with great accomplishments, it’s amazing that even with all the stupid mistakes I completed it.

We only get one shot at life, I’ll reach for the brass ring every chance I get and if I don’t make it at least I tried.

Stogy, ClarkH, brEad and 7 others like this.
  2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Very impressive car. I'm working on a similar project. I ended up using an inline six. I also share your passion for creating metal sculpture.
    Congratulations on your successful project. I love everything about it.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Beautiful! More ideas to plaigerize.

Stogy likes this.
  4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Jay, Will you please tell us the steps you had to go through to get it licensed for the street ? Did you have a title for your frame? Assembled Vehicle build? Other?

Stogy likes this.
  5. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

I also built my share of airplanes. The cars Main Power/Ignition/Start switch is the magneto switch from a WWII B-26 (A-26C) bomber, I modified the switch to fit the application, it's the most complex mechanical switch I've ever seen.
    The switch started a conversation about aircraft and the guy happened to work at an aircraft engine rebuild shop that specialized in radial engines, he gave me a junk cylinder from a Pratt Whitney radial engine. That cylinder starting me on a path to industrial furniture design like in the attached photo, it's my new design table.

B-26 Magneto Switch.jpg Magneto Switch.jpg Oden Switch.jpg Design Table.jpg Radial Cylinder.jpg

heavydumper, Stogy, charleyw and 17 others like this.
  6. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Stogy and Outback like this.
  7. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Jay,
    THANKS for sharing !!
    Great car.

Stogy likes this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Damn you are a fine purveyor of working with metal. :cool::cool::cool::cool:. Love the inspiration. Maybe you should take it to the LA roadster show , get some coverage and boom your on to your new career. I love the technical details to the the littlest degree. Nice.

9. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

The application for the Oden Special was an “Affidavit of Assembly and Ownership”. Receipts or Bills of Sale, drawings with side and top view and detailed build photos were included, there were 7 photos. Oklahoma requires the vehicle exist at the time of application and if the application is approved you must present the vehicle to the DMV(local tag office) within 30 days. Once my application was accepted I took the vehicle with a VIN tag attached to the DMV(local tag office) where they verified the vehicle and the VIN location. I paid the taxes, got a Tag and the title was mailed to me.

I had receipts for the body and frame materials, engine and transmission. I fabricated the frame so receipts for the materials were included, documented the fabrication with photos. The photos should also illustrate the overall progress of the build. A photo of the proposed VIN tag location should be included. If Bills of Sale are used it’s best to have them Notarized. The drawings were vary simple but did at least show some basic shape and dimensions. The DMV contact person said it was the best documentation he had seen, the application was approved in about a week.

I was risking money and labor without knowing if it could be done or if the state would accept my application after completion.

The form below is what I submitted to the DMV.

Form761A.jpg Drawing Front View Final Print.jpg Drawing Top View Final Print.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Stogy, Fordors, Ziggster and 4 others like this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks Jay.
    That is a similar process I went through to to license a home-built motorized bicycle, similar to a mo-ped. It took more paperwork than my getting married and buying my first home combined.

Attached Files:

Stogy, brEad and Outback like this.
  11. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

Here's some more pics

Interior.jpg Engine.jpg Front Suspension.jpg Steering Box.jpg Front Shock.jpg Rear Shock.jpg Torque Arm.jpg

Greenblade, Stogy, Fordors and 10 others like this.
  12. indyjps

indyjps

Amazing build, I was waiting for the airplane influence and there it is. If you work on planes and any related certification, the DMV shouldn't be an issue for you. :D
    1350 lbs and any small block - that thing should move

As a teen, I spent quite a few evenings helping a guy skin a plane, seeing
    your build brings back some memories

Stogy and raven like this.
  13. I think I've viewed the images off the monitor in front of me.

Is the body predominantly mostly flat panels rolled over the frame and riveted? I know that is an over simplification and I mean no offence as I'm absolutely taken by the design and build.
    Just curious.

14. Beautiful car.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Well I’m gonna toss some tools in the trash, the last aluminum dash panel I made didn’t look that good.

Stogy likes this.
  16. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

I’d also really like to more about how you shaped the panels.

This is an awesome build. Please share as much as you can about the process!

Stogy likes this.
  17. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

This looks gorgeous.

This is very close to an idea I've got, for a very similar build! I'm collecting parts and ideas, and seeing this gives me great inspiration - thanks for sharing it with us. Hope to see it in person some day!

Stogy likes this.
  18. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Wow super neat! bet it hauls!!

Stogy likes this.
  19. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

It's fast enough to get you in trouble, but I got lucky and the handling is very good and predictable, the four wheel disc brakes are nice too. I put seat belts in it but still not sure they're a good idea in this kind of car, might be better to be ejected, hope I never have to find out.

20. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

I'm in the process of shooting some video of the completed car, I don't have any video of the fabrication. I'll try and shoot some video of the techniques I used to form some of the parts. Working a full time job and putting in 40+ a week on the build for 4 years was all I could handle, recording and editing video was not gonna happen.

Stogy, brEad, Ziggster and 1 other person like this.
  21. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

I designed it with the simplest form possible and still have a little style, with very little experience it's a wonder it got completed.

"You got to walk, before you can run"

Stogy, brEad, Ziggster and 1 other person like this.
  22. That just says you used your smarts rather than your muscles.
    I think you have built a truly amazing car that you will enjoy for years to come.
    If you don't mind I'll be borrowing (alright stealing) some of you methods.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Came back to look at your car again. It's so nice nice nice.
    All the work you did... the design, the fit, everything... perfect. And the finish... man. I don't see a ripple anywhere in the body and I don't think you could have polished it any better. It's like a mirror.
    Show/race car!

24. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

It's a about a 10 footer, any closer and the flaws jump out. Unfortunately there are some ripples and flaws in the polish, but the panel fit did turn out ok.
    It would take years of experience to get a professional finished product.

25. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I spotted your location immediately and am very impressed with your craftsmanship. I hope to see you around town sometime soon. Great work!

26. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

Sounds great, hope to see some post of your progress.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

I cruise that location on the weekends.
    It looks like we have a lot in common, cars and art.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

I'm shooting some video and more pictures tomorrow and will post them ASAP.

Stogy, hfh and THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER like this.
  29. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

I've posted a short video on Youtube, it's kind of short but I do plan to add content in the future,

Stogy, 39custom, Fordors and 9 others like this.
  30. AmishMike

AmishMike

^^^. WOW!!! U got my vote. What a beauty

Stogy likes this.