Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Car Show Blue's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captaintaytay, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I knew you were a closet mini trucker….

Texas57, Tman, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  2. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

True, the pretty blue Ms Taboo certainly wasn't part of the show scene when it was done...

Oh wait

3. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

My area of interest is anything 60's style. I can appreciate most everything else except Tuner's and large diameter wheels

4. The Woodward Dream Cruise is generally a once and never again event. I have never been, but not many older guys want to risk their car in that congestion.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Well, if you see a show advertised, maybe call the number, go to the website, ask a few questions. Make a decision:)

Me? I mainly go where one of my daughters want to. Always means late model muscle, or late model Tuner stuff.
    I spend a day with the kids, talk about what we are seeing “You should do that, we could do that “ etc

FWIW, the best times I ever had at shows was 40 years ago. Car and truck clubs getting together and organizing them. 20-25 different clubs around the Valley here. Only venders were for food. No swap meet area. Some would have signs or a few parts for sale.
    But the activities were super fun. 3 inning softball tourneys, tug of war, volleyball, etc.
    Anyways I guess profit trumps “fun and breaking even” ;)

mad mikey likes this.
  6. low down A

low down A

this topic has been discussed many times in many different ways, and i believe it is the very thing that will keep the restoration car hobby alive, touchy subject to some it seems, my interest of late has turned back to where i started in 1970, mopars of the 62-73 era. this years goodguys over the july 4th in des moines is open to all cars up to 1979, promotors see the writing on the wall

7. low down A

low down A

i meant to say goodguys this year are open to 1997,

8. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I have a wide band of things I like. Yeah I build pretty traditional vehicles these days. I get alot of praise for it and some people say I have huge balls for driving mechanical brakes 70 mph. But I am inspiring people by driving my jalopy places. So Even if you only go for an hour to a show that seems lame, you may inspire one of those guys playing with an 80s car to venture deeper down the rabbit hole. If all they ever knew was easter egg paintjobs and boyd wheels we would all be doomed.

Just Gary likes this.
  9. twenty8

twenty8

25 years is the widely accepted minimum age for a "classic" car.

10. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I don't know if this is common everywhere but in my area you have to see who is putting on the show as sometimes it' more to with how many, not what you and I would consider to be show cars or old cars. My brother-in-law approached me wanting advise to have a father's day car show for his church in his town. Not knowing anything about cars, he didn't get why I talked about a cut off date. There are also those I find who love old cars and really want to be a part of things, but they are afraid of owning one out of the fear they might break down, they might have to hunt for parts, or lack of knowledge or skill. So they purchase a new car figuring this will be their ticket in. Can't begin to tell you the amount of guys I work with who have shown up at a cruise night or even come by my house with a new Mustang or Challenger and I politely have to seem impressed by a car that I can see ten of in about every shopping mall parking lot any day of the week. I guess to most guys on this sight there is a big difference between buying the key to car and wiring the ignition to put the key in.

hudsonmand, mad mikey and Just Gary like this.
  11. twenty8

twenty8

Yours has a key...?????? Wow, fancy.:D

12. LAROKE

LAROKE

Some of you will grow old enough to look back on this as a golden age of car shows if our dear, but misguided, leaders have their way and we transition to a EV world. Enjoy the age of ICE while you still can.

Wanderlust, mad mikey and pirate like this.
  13. low down A

low down A

having interest in almost all things cars there is one thing that really stands out belonging to several forums ,big block dart, 62-65 mopar, a-body, b-body . someone can post a older 30's-40's car which would be considered off topic and they will get praise for a nice car, but let someone post a newer car or take a newer car to a car show and those guys with those 30's and 40's car's bitch there asses off to no end how the hobby is being ruined by the newer and younger

b-body-bob likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As much as we like to see 50s-60s car shows and hot rods from that time period, it is a small market. A small market of specialty builders, pro and home style folks. The sporty car group is easier to buy into with payment plans for high dollar rides. It is not for everyone. Some have their daily drivers on display and others have garage queens that show up on just that Saturday morning. No one can dispute the popularity of the Saturday Cars and Coffee events, everywhere.

So, from a small market hot rod show specializing in cool old rides, like the neighborhood ones now and then, to the famous long standing hot rod shows like the L.A. Roadster show attracts enthusiasts. As old hot rod folks, we would rather go to those types of shows. Some of our favorite ones have been cancelled during these pandemic months. It is good and bad. No one wants to be a host to a super spreader event., masks or not.

That thins out the amount of local car shows, but when it is safe for everyone, those will start up again.

Jnaki

My wife and I have attended old hot rod car shows all over So Cal and up into Northern California. But, that was during the pre-pandemic years. So, for the inclusion of a dying market of strictly local 50s-60s cars showing up for any event, the promoters have opened up the year limit to attract more folks.

Some say it is good and bad. But, time will tell and it is one way to “keep the juices” flowing for everyone.

As far as attending local car shows, a noisy lowered sporty car has its followers, but they are all beginning to look like coming from the same design factory. Although we all know they are… “brother’s from another mother.” Spotting the rare 50s-60s hot rods or customs becomes a sight for sore eyes at the current community gatherings. YRMV

Just Gary likes this.
  15. Most likely if they were stock or very poorly done. But that's apples and oranges.....that's the time frame this (the Hamb) was born from and lives in for the most part. If this was any other Hot Rod forum then that statement would be more correct.

In the 80's-'93 that's all I knew........f'ing hated it. I was mainly into stock 50's/ early 60's cars (already went through the obligatory muscle car phase in high school). Never wanted a 40s/30s car until I seen the little books.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  16. I liked the Easter egg colored cars........but I ain't gay....

LAROKE and hudsonmand like this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there used to be a Mopar show I went to every year here in town. it was fun even though that is not my thing.. oldies and 60's musclecars mixed. last couple times I went there seemed to be more and more brand new Challengers and Chargers than anything worth looking at.

they had it last weekend or the week before that, I didn't bother this time. those new cars are cool new cars, but why a person would start a club and go to shows and open the hood of a new car baffles the mind. all they can talk about would be car payments, interest rates and insurance premiums and the latest carbon fiber part they bought online.o_O

LAROKE and b-body-bob like this.
  18. Nothing apples and oranges about it. The OP was complaining there were modern cars at a car show he attended. There have been modern cars at car shows since day one. Nothing has changed. He didn't go to a car show that was billed as a pre any specific date car show so there will be cars there of all vintages. If you don't want to see modern cars don't go to shows that don't have a cut off date and when you do and there are modern cars there don't whine about it.

BigDogSS and hudsonmand like this.
  19. I have read the posts. I figure that getting my old drag coupe out there to some shows lets the younger guys with modern cars see what these old hot rods are like. At the show I attended last weekend, my coupe got more attention, admiration then any brand new vette etc. that was there. And its loader and faster!;):)

20. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Hot Rod Reunion--1983 earlier
    Louisville Nats- 25 years old at least
    Frog Follies- pre 48 only
    Goodguys- no idea
    Those are the big ones around my area. Except for the Follies, everybody has caved to accept later cars to some degree.
    I like pre 48 and trucks and even musclecars. The local folks that put on the cruise ins have to include anything on wheels to draw a crowd. There seems to be a good mix at most of them so I can take a look at what I want and go to the house when I'm tired. My junk doesn't belong in a show anyway, but sometimes I go just to have a day away.

vtx1800 likes this.
  21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

All this bitchin' about modern cars at shows.
    We could do a roll call of all the members who will never get to a car show again.
    Suck it up and enjoy the fact you can attend a car show above the sod.

22. Two years ago I wanted to go to the monthly car show in the nearby town but couldn't because I was recovering from cancer surgery. I was bedridden, lucky to make it to the bathroom. Last year I was cancer free, but missed all but one show because each month something more urgent required my presence. This year I'm healthy, caught a car show in April, but missed May and will miss this weekend, too, again to be somewhere more urgent. I'm hoping to make the next one in late July, and glad I'm alive to look forward to it. Sure, there will be plenty of OT stuff, but I'll be most drawn to the H.A.M.B.-friendly vehicles and the antiques, and their owners, especially those with small block Ford engines. I've got questions to solve problems with my own build and know someone will be generous with advice.

rod1, gimpyshotrods, BigDogSS and 2 others like this.
  23. HotRod33

HotRod33

You never said what did you drive there?

mad mikey and Just Gary like this.
  24. X-cpe

X-cpe

From when I taught high school, " You know you are getting old when the mothers start looking better than the girls."

25. Dan Phillips

Dan Phillips

time has a way of changing things - we had about "50" good yrs. of hot rodding (in my eye anyhow) and the memories alone are priceless ! for me i'm mainly a builder more than a show guy (and still am) so hasn't been as big a deal to me as some i'm sure. the ride thru the country on a nice day is still the same.

40FORDPU, low down A and Budget36 like this.
  26. low down A

low down A

what do the guys with the store bought old hotrods talk about, there TCI frame with pete and jakes suspension, posi spring, rodsville quickchange,GM crate chevy 350 with all it's aluminum goodies, and on and on all bought on line

NoelC likes this.
  27. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I'm OK with "no year" cut off car shows. A car guy is a car guy in my sunflower seed-brain. And we need more car guys. Do I like EVERY car in these shows..not necessarily...but I don't get my underwear up in a bunch. I'm glad they showed to help keep this hobby going. I helped judge a local car show this past weekend and I even complimented a guy for bringing out his pretty clean & stock OT 80s Nissan Hardbody, lol.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

uh... yes. custom built old cars with new parts and old bodies are worth talking about and having a club. new cars from the dealers lot where there are 25,000 out there exactly like it just seems strange. could be I'm just wrong but it does not feel that way to me.

29. Yup, and add the fact that without new cars there would be no old cars.

X-cpe, mad mikey and low down A like this.
  30. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got invited to a "car event" by a friend; he's into some muscle car stuff, so figured it would be cool to go and hang out with him and a few others. I had no idea what to expect - jumped in the car and drove the hour or so to meet up, and another :30 to the "event". To be fair, said friend had very little info on it himself. $20 to get in (may have been 25, but doesn't matter at this point - we were at the gate). I was clearly the minority. Mostly late model stuff and lifted Jeeps that clearly will never see dirt, and the obviously (un)necessary who has the loudest / most obnoxious sound system / swinging dick contest all day long. The entry fee included nothing, other than the privilege to park and be a part of the circus.

It was good to get out and make new friends.

The five of us made the most of it and swore to not do that again.