Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration VALVE COVERS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Yes, I am aware there is a ongoing thread about polishing valve covers but say a guy doesn't want them polished rather he looking for something different, something toned down, something painted or striped, possibly he might be looking for something more , dare I say TRADITIONAL like a orange SBC 327 valve cover with the HP emblazoned on the valve cover.

Let's see what you have done, btw if you have polished valve covers that's cool, post them if that's what trips your trigger.

My original intent was to polish the factory aluminum valve covers that were on the 302 engine that I purchased from my late friends wife to power the Ranch Wagon, believe me they were nasty, but the inside of the engine was clean.

s-l500.jpg

I used easy off oven cleaner to degrease them and followed that up with a trip to the sand blasting cabinet, then I started sanding and about half way through the first valve cover I sat it on the freshly painted engine and realized the valve covers were going to stand out more than I wanted and become a focal point.

I wanted to keep it looking simple and give the illusion that it could have been stock, granted most gearheads would instantly know it isn't stock but I was shooting for simplicity.

I decided to paint the valve covers the same color as the engine, and to high light the raised portion & writing on the valve cover I used sand paper and a buffer to remove paint in the area, I even carried this through to the aluminum aftermarket breather in a attempt to keep everything looking as though it was meant to go together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please share what you have done. HRP

2. I like that!

Ben

Spooky likes this.
  3. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I wanted to retain the factory aluminum valve covers on my Boss engine in the Cyclone but they had a small tower screwed to the top center that held the spark plug wires. I rerouted the wires, milled an aluminum rectangle that is attached to the valve cover using the existing holes then mounted a “Cyclone” interior door emblem on the aluminum plate. It looks clean and is something that no one else has.
    43CCFF7F-97FC-4FD2-A681-1AF4D26E4A66.jpeg

63015B3B-8388-4DF5-B69B-CE621E4AE3EA.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  4. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about, it's subtle and looks as though it could have came from the factory like that. HRP

5. catdad49

catdad49

Clean, subtle and easy maintenance!

6. Valve cover on my "Corvette" 327.
    IMG_0737.jpg

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I really like shiny!! Fins that are shiny are extra cool to me.
    If only the fins are shiny with a nice back ground color=that very cool too!!!
    I wish I had a pic of the last set of alum fin Ford 5.0 that I did. I used Crinkle Finish black for the back ground and polished the fin tops after.
    :D
    And my old Bird covers,go well with my homemade 4x2 log intake. 001 (4).JPG

8. At first glance these are just generic chrome covers but there is a subtle change:cool: B83354F0-6C67-416A-9290-107C03B37994.jpeg

9. What change is that Scotty ?
    All I see are factory” Plymouth” Hemi valve covers .
    Look great ,,,you did a good job !

Tommy

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I decided a long time ago, that in certain instances, I might like the simple look of standard stamped sheet metal valve covers painted the same color as the block better than shiny aftermarket aluminum.
    But I've got these. And I really like when they're nicely finished. So I'm going to polish and detail the #@%*×&! out of 'em. :D
    0126210049.jpg

11. Ooooh boy,,,,,,I like that,,,,,tall deck Mopar !
    I like that intake too !

Tommy

Rickybop and dana barlow like this.
  12. The subtle change is " PLYMOUTH". Plymouth didn't have Hemi engines until the 426" was available.

13. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I'd like to do something like that putting the "Cheverolet" script into a set of big block valve covers.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Easier just to keep the small block!

upload_2022-6-21_13-29-54.png

15. Did i spell it correctly?;)

16. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

17. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Awesome! That makes me feel good, I was thinking about something long those lines. A buddy thought I was going to cut the script out of a set of SBC covers and TIG it into the BBC covers. I figured that the writing would look really out of proportioned, so I would about machining (I'm a tooling designer) a set of dies to stamp it, after I resized the writing in SolidWorks to be a good proportion. NOW, you got me thinking a little, since I don't want 2K and 120 hrs. in a set of valve covers!.

18. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

73 SBF had these Cobra Covers, I was told I could still use them on the replacement engine= 87 Roller 302 if I'd just remove the baffles, But I decided to buy the Larger Valve covers to accommodate the roller Rockers, Still prefer the look of the old ones though

IMG_0476.JPG 5.0 Nov21.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Spooky

Spooky

I have always liked OEM valve covers. I am using a set of '58 E 400 on my '59 Edsel Stranger project. AND- yes- scored one of those killa oval air cleaners and created a emblem to match the theme of the car.

Attached Files:

• ofed.jpg
      ofed.jpg
      File size:
      151.1 KB
      Views:
  20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These were pretty rough when I got them. My powder coater made them look great, IMO. The black is powder coated, as well. 1007211506_HDR.jpg

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ll have to come back and add a pic, but I took a set of chromed steel covers and put a official looking Power by Ford 302 decal on them. They look like they could have come from the factory.

22. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

23. KKrod

KKrod

Clean and simple but a lot of work. I think I got the idea after my first trip to California in the 90's and seeing Isky's Maxi headed beauty. Lol IMG_5481.JPG

24. I bought the HAMB covers, rare. 20220416_130133.jpg

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Posted elsewhere on the hamb. 797004BA-6B80-4DB8-9402-25E0B7E604F7.jpeg

26. Nice. Steve's deuce 5W?

27. goldmountain

goldmountain

I like the look of finned aluminum valve covers with paint between the fins but was worried about the paint sticking so instead of paint, I used red reflective tape; the type that is stuck on the back of school buses and such. Spent a long time making a template to cut out the "Corvette" lettering. Turns out, the tape doesn't work that well either. I'll get it right one of these days. IMG_1464.JPG

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a paint to bling ratio thing.

Ned Ludd, raven and scotty t like this.
  29. cabong

cabong

Simple, no frills.....This is what the mill in my Model A looked like in 1968, and today..... Carb was from a 271/289, intake is a Buddy Bar Casting from a Cobra, and I have not a clue who made the valve covers... 289 002.JPG