Register now to get rid of these ads!

History John Siroonian Western Wheel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Payton Siroonian, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Anyone remember John Siroonian and Western Wheel from back in the day?? Anyone have stories or curious about anything related to him? He passed away in 2008 but we have his cars still and I’m wanting to take them to some shows so people can enjoy them again. What do you guys think?

chryslerfan55, Stu, Louie and 7 others like this.
  2. sdluck

sdluck

3. RmK57

RmK57

There was a Siroonain that drove Big John Mazmanian's funny car in the 60's.
    I think he was nephew or something?

Edit... I was thinking of Rich Siroonain.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

John owned a stable of fine 1932-1934 Fords.
    He also ran a very successful blown fuel hydro drag boat.
    Don Thelen's " Buffalo Motor Cars " built many of Johns cars, (as well as the ZZ Top coupe!)
    I was fortunate enough to work with Don Thelen as the chassis builder on several of John's cars.
    In 1976, John, Don Thelen, Pete Chapouris, my self, and a few others flew to Tulsa on John's private plane to the " Street Rod Nationals " , on the way back John took us on a detour.
    John had his pilot fly to San Antonio so he could take us to watch his Drag Boat run at the races there!
    Here are just a few of John's cars!

JohnSiroonianWesternWheels1-vi.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I just bought a Kellison street buggy from you.

6. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Please share the cars with the world, his cars were always high quality builds.
    I remember seeing some of them in magazines back in the day. On my last visit to the Justice Brothers museum in Duarte California I saw his ‘34 Pheaton on display.

7. Payton, there will always be a place for them.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I remember the cars from the magazine features, glad you still have them. Is it true that the wheel business started, by reversing rims and having them chrome plated? American sucess stories need to be told. Bob

9. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m sure Pete’s story is just one of many such stories. Please feel free to tell us about him, who he was, what he did. I’m sure it will trigger more memories and bring more stories from the people here. I know I’m curious. It’s always interesting to hear about the men behind the corporations. Especially if they are also into planes and drag boats.

10. Nobey

Nobey

In Fresno, John was called Mr. 32, I remember when John bought Terry Hahn's 32 roadster and turned it
    into a beautiful show car.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

There is a picture of a bunch of John's cars, that are parked in line, bending around a curve in the road. I heard the garbage cans were chrome at Western Wheel ! Top flight collection.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

He was Big John's nephew, I believe. I saw him at Woodburn in '68, racing the "Football" Austin.

13. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

The '32 tub was found in the jungle of Haiku, Maui .The man who was turned onto it took it apart by hand (it was that rusty)and shipped back to CA in a washing machine box. Then brought back to life by a fellow who we called Fat Mike .

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I hope there are Before and After photos of that one. Bob

15. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went through a couple set's of his chrome Budd wheels back in the day

Payton Siroonian likes this.
  16. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The Beach Boys played the SEMA show and his cars surrounded the stage.

17. Keep this thread on top. John's '81 AMBR '32 is an amazing build even now, that Blown Gurney Weslake engine is killer. Built from the 50s CT Automotive roadster.

18. The C&T Automotive Roadster that John Siroonian ended up building
    CTAUTOMOTIVESIROONIANROADSTER-vi.jpg

19. John's Roadster next to Phil Cool's Iconic Blown 32 JohnSiroonian1932Ford1981AMBR-vi.jpg

bchctybob, Hamtown Al, Sancho and 8 others like this.
  20. e49caristheCTAutomotivehighboy-vi.jpg
    The Same car when C&T raced it at the lakes many years before

bchctybob, Hamtown Al, Sancho and 8 others like this.
  21. I'd like to hear more, seems like an interesting fella. If you can't figure out how to post pics of his cars we can help you. I'd love to see those 32's and 34's I'm hearing about.

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lived in Fresno many years ago--Western Wheel was well known as were his cars.
    My memory is not great but as I recall he had something to do with a wheel place on either Belmont or McKinley east of Blackstone -north side of street-Sold chrome reverse wheels and other items--I bought a couple of sets maybe 63-65? can't recall-long ago. I'm sure some of the locals will know.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  23. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

24. That sounds like an awesome time. Wish I could’ve experienced stuff like that with him. It’s so cool to hear everyone’s stories. Thank you

25. That sounds awesome! That would be one heck of a picture!

chryslerfan55 and Nobey like this.
  26. John Mazmanian isn’t related. That’s a common mistake.

lurker mick, Nobey and The37Kid like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Out of Hot Rod Magzine
    If you were a follower of the Gasser wars or early floppers, the name "Big John" Mazmanian stands tall. Maz's driver off and on for those many quarter mile exploits was his nephew Rich Siroonian who, unfortunately, has passed away. That's where I got it. More from the article.
    Maz was forced to deal with his nephew sneaking out with his Corvette to street race at night, so Maz confronted him with a plan to let him race the Gasser if he'd stop street racing. When Maz built his famous Willys coupe, Siroonian transitioned into that car, though other drivers of the time like Bones Balough could be found in the cockpit, especially for match race bookings in the Midwest and East. Maz's next Gasser, the eight-second Austin "Football," was also piloted by Siroonian.

28. Rich Siroonian isn’t related to John Siroonian. It’s a common mix up

chryslerfan55 and lurker mick like this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

OK, I am usually mixed up !