Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pertronix / SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Voh

Voh

I am running a Pertronix conversion on my 283 SBC. I have noticed that there are some occasions when it takes a long time to start. Additionally, under an aggressive acceleration, it almost sounds like its missing. Is there a way to test these units?

VOH

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

First thing I'd do is check the installation and make sure it's all installed correctly, with the correct spacing, and alignment for the pickup, and trigger. If that's not perfect the module wont tell the ignition to fire correctly.
    Then if all that's OK try this video to see a test procedure:

Montana1, Tman and blowby like this.
  3. hepme

hepme

the clearance between the reluctor and the cam is critical. I did one and made absolutely sure it was correct. Also, what coil are you using? A 45K volt unit is recommended.

4. jaracer

jaracer

The best way to test it is with an ignition scope. It will let you see what the entire ignition system is doing. You may just have one or two bad plug wires.

G-son likes this.

5. Voh

Voh

I am running the Pertronix flame thrower. Its new.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It don't mean a thing if ain't got that swing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gasser 57 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

A 2½ hour lesson in what oscilloscopes can tell us about ignition. And there are many other uses for them, even on older cars.

8. If the engine fires at all, the Pertronix module is OK. When the module goes bad, it will not fire at all. As stated above, the gap is wrong, or the coil is going bad.

firstinsteele likes this.
  9. SR100

SR100

Is the hard start happening when the engine is warm, cold or both?

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Or is it after the car has not run for a few days and the crap fuel we have today has evaporated and you have to crank it long enough for the fuel pump to refill the float bowl?

11. Voh

Voh

Its typically after a few days of sitting, so I assume some of it is the crappy gas (even though I am using ethanol free). The biggest notice is under acceleration. It seems to sputter if I am heavier on the pedal.

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sounds like you need to add an electric fuel pump that you can run long enough to refill the float bowl before cranking it.

pprather likes this.
  13. As stated earlier, the electronic ignition ether works or it doesn't, not getting enough gas/timing could be the problem, you might look at the coil, are you running the recommended the 50,000 volt Flamethrower coil? HRP

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sputtering under acceleration is not an indication of a failed Pertronix module. When the modules fail. they fail completely. There is no condition where the spark is weak or missing. Whether your plugs and/or cables are causing a problem we can't say, it's possible. Hard starting could occur if the battery voltage is significantly low, which could be because of a weak battery, or because the starter motor is dragging and drawing excessive current, pulling the voltage down. Put a volt meter on the batter and watch what happens to the voltage when you're cranking the engine over with the starter, shouldn't drop below 9. Don't crank it longer than 10 seconds at a time, and give the starter time to cool in between attempts.

If it's just a case of fuel in the carburetor evaporating over a couple of days of non-use, and you have a mechanical fuel pump, the best way to deal with that is to just crank the starter for a few seconds then stop, wait for a few seconds to allow the pump to move fuel up to the carburetor, pump the throttle once and crank again. You will probably have to do this a few times in order to get enough fuel to the carb to fill the float bowl and when you pump the throttle the accelerator pump will shoot a shot of fuel down the throat and when you hit the starter it should fire up. Don't hold the starter engaged and cranking until the float bowl fills, that's a great way to wear out your starter, don't crank longer than a few seconds each time. The mechanical pump will continue moving the fuel for a time even when you stop cranking. I learned this from @Boneyard51 and it works, I use it all the time when my cars sit for a few days. If you have an electric fuel pump, forget all that, and just turn the pump on and let it run until the float bowl is filled, pump the throttle and hit it. It should fire immediately.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Or, one of these:
    bgb__eo4a-9350-b-1__3000001__.jpg
    Mechanical pump with a primer :)
    Mike

16. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

After “upgrading “ to a fireball system I have noticed an extra long crank time and also a second of running on or deiseling at shut off.
    Anyone else ?

17. OK, that is a new one to me. What is it off of?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Slow down

Slow down

My John Deere has a fuel with a primer lever

19. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I think that one is off of a Triumph. With a spacer and longer bolts, English Ford sidevalve. They make them for Willys/Jeep engines (at least the 134). I think they have them for military Dodge 6's. You see them on Diesel lift pumps too. I Googled, I didn't see SBC. I can hardly imagine there is something you can't get for a SBC. I have one on my '65 Triumph Herald (1147cc OHV powerhouse). Without it, you chew a starter up if you let it sit a couple of days. I snapped one up as soon as I saw it. Mike

20. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

If he col resistance is low it will cause the pertronixs module to skip etc ...................ditch the coil and replace with bosch 00012 from amazon ...........should fix it

Jet96, 1oldtimer, jimmy six and 4 others like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Looks similar to the lift pump on my MF 65, didn’t know automobiles used them.

Boneyard51 and Tman like this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Good to see you posting Bubba

23. Is that for the ignitor I or II? I know they recommend 1.5 res. for ignitor I and .6 for II on a V8 12v system. Curious if it matters, thanks.

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Those fuel pumps were very common on agricultural engines. Those engines usually set a long time and you could use that lever to operate the pump. But the engine had to be turned right or they wouldn’t work. You don’t normally see them on modern automotive applications.

Bones

Tman likes this.