Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '60 F100 Daily Driver Project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Oct 12, 2019.

1. You know, I've read about that before and would love to understand the science behind it. I mean, I know it's petroleum based but what is the chemical process in the plastic that helps the crazing?

I know you're supposed to smear it up real good then let it set for a week or two. Although, I might have to steal some goo from in the house and put it in a different jar marked "shop use". If my buddies see a big tub of Vaseline on the workbench, there's gonna be a lot of uncomfortable questions. :D:D:D

brEad, Thor1 and fauj like this.
  2. I think that's what Fog Horn saw on your work bench and that's why he has that expression.... "I say, I say, boy, just why do you have that tub on your work bench? I'll never understand these young 'uns!"

Great work on the emblem!

brEad, Thor1 and ccain like this.
  3. Thanks, Jeff!

I think the Chickenhawk knows. :D:D:D

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 10.43.00 AM.png

Oh, and YES, I totally read your post in Fog Horn's voice. :D:D:D

Wow...that pic is a decent representation of how most days in my shop play out. Me, with my ass in the fire. :mad::p

SS327, Thor1 and fauj like this.
  4. I know you've got a lot of work in that emblem, but just a thought.... How would it look using the "F" font from the original emblem? (Used as an oversized "F" only)

5. Just so you know... I was hearing Fog Horn's voice as I typed! :D

ccain and Thor1 like this.
  6. Of course you were and I'd wouldn't expect any less. :D. That's one of the reasons I like you. :p

--

Okay... so my font of choice seems to have some of you goons restless. Again... I've tried every single combination. I've had the wife (She has a BFA) look at several different incarnations, several times. There are fonts that are perfect that don't work with numbers and vice versa. And it all comes down to one thing... the space I have to work with.

I've been looking at it again and again, and while I agree the font I chose does maybe have a bit of a modern-ish thing going on, and kinda looks like it says "T-100" if you squint your eyes, it was the only one that worked with numbers.

Having said that, I asked myself... why does there have to be numbers in the first place?

So, using the original Fairlane script as a base, I built this in photoshop.

[​IMG]

This might work, I actually kinda dig it. The "e", "r", and "i" are all drawn using the actual lettering on the Fairlane logo as a reference instead of a premade font. I winged it on the "s". But if this Fordy font ain't Fordy enough for you, then I can't help. :p

So, there. An emblem Henry Ford himself would be proud to call absolute shit. Personally I think the font Ford chose for this is both atrocious and atomic-age cool all at the same time. :cool::confused:

I dunno, but I'm reaching my saturation point with this logo and it's not gonna take much for me to toss it in the shit can and scratch weld the word "DORF" in big gloppy letters in the center of the tailgate. o_O

So, I'll leave it to the font hating pedants out there. What say you? Yea or neigh?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    nosford and brEad like this.
  7. Look! It's the Fordiest Ford font that ever fonted. :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided "fuck it" and went ahead and made a new one up. So, how's this grab ya?

At this point the trim level exceeds "Custom Cab". Maybe I'll start calling it "The F-series Brougham" or "The F-series Victoria" or something dumb like that. :rolleyes::p

"F- ictoria" has a nice ring to it. :D:D:D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    ffr1222k, nosford, SS327 and 7 others like this.
  8. Wing Dings! It's got to be Wing Dings! :eek: Just kidding of course! With your skill set and equipment, there's really no need for a final decision at the moment. Make a couple and try each of them on the truck for a while until YOU find the one that you like... it's a custom after all!

Keep up the great work my friend and Happy Father's Day!

brEad, Thor1 and ccain like this.
  9. Thanks, Jeff! Happy Fathers Day!

Yeah, I slept on it and I've decided... I HATE IT! :D

This latest one looks sloppy.

However, I do have some cool Wing Ding fonts. I have this cool ass Star Trek Wing Ding font. Could have the starboard view of the Enterprise in there. OOOH! I have a Klingon font!!! :confused:o_O:D

Shit, at this point I'm starting to think comic sans might suit this better given the sting of errors associated with it. :p

Maybe I need to come up with a cool 60's show car inspired name for the truck and make an emblem up. Something like "Fict-oria" or "Telesto"... or anything with an "-o-tron" or "lux" at the end. :D. "Blast-o-tron"... "Crap-o-tron"... "Sphinct-o-tron"... "Scrote-o-lux"... The Ballsack Special... I dunno. :D:D:D

Have a great day, y'all!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    SS327, brEad, fauj and 1 other person like this.
  10. Okay... Quick, fast. So I have to go to a stupid birthday party, but I just wanna drop this here. I may have fixed it. Gonna cut it out when I get home.

[​IMG]

11. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

I liked your first incarnation. You will NEVER make everyone happy. And, you are not building the truck for anyone besides you.

That logo above.....is for six cylinder trucks!

ccain and fauj like this.
  12. I like the Fordilicious one, but choose what you like.
    You have neat truck!

ccain likes this.
  13. How about F-351? That will confuse the 'experts' and note the new motor. :D

ccain likes this.
  14. You're on a roll! I like the new Ford-based font, and the lightning bolt (Ford Lightning) looks good too!
    Both are much better than the block letters....JMHO

ccain likes this.
  15. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Hell yeah!

ccain and fauj like this.
  16. Mock-up Update:

Stuck it up against the truck. Made new brackets. Sets nice and flush with the top of the bed. I'm pretty happy with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting there. I've stuck that cardboard cutout all over this tailgate and this is one of two positions that look decent. I've got plenty of time to decide on placement or omission. Still might end up shelving the emblem. It all depends on if I find something cooler or not. This thing looks bigger on the workbench than it does on the truck.

Plenty of time, though as I've got to weld shut the ends of the top tube and have to go back over and massage it some more. Make mounts for the latches... stuff like that.

Wife is calling, gotta run.

Cheers.

51pontiac, brEad, Hotrod1959 and 4 others like this.
  17. Looking better and better Chris! I'd say centered up is pretty damn good given the size. A suggestion based on absolutely no clue coupled with no experience in designing anything, would it be worth giving it a look with it just a bit lower. Perhaps the tops of the vee's centered between the tail lights?

Again, I think you've got a better eye for this than I do. Hopefully the birthday party allowed you to concentrate on the important stuff, like your truck! :p

ccain and Thor1 like this.
  18. skot71

skot71

"Painted" it for you. Looks great!

Attached Files:

ccain, brEad and fauj like this.
  19. Cool!!! I can't wait to see it under paint. Thanks!

The "Bottom Of The Ninth. Two Outs, Two Strikes, Bases Loaded Update"

I think I'm finished building this tailgate.

Needed to figure out latches. Just modified and reused the old ones. Had to "adjust" them to fit the tailgate and to keep it on a straight vertical plane when closed.

You can't get any simpler with these latches. Bust 'em open and this is all that's inside. No magic, no wizardry... just three parts each. Pretty slick.

[​IMG]

So... I had to grind off all the chrome from them. Needed a bit of a spacer. Had some flat stock laying around that was the thickness I needed.

[​IMG]

I ran out of mig wire so I busted out the stick welder. 6013, 3/32nd rods melt in at 90 amps real nice for this small stuff. The next two pics are what should be in a welding school textbook of what NOT to do but, dammit, they're some of my best welds yet. And this coming from my $90 Chinese stick welder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just look at that stack of di... crimes. :D

Latches lined up nice and work smooth. I get a nice tinny sounding "clunk" when she closes.

[​IMG]

Capped off the ends of the top tube.

[​IMG]

And with that, the fabrication is complete. Might make up a filler to cover that bed flange more. You really can't see much of that gap unless you're looking for it.
    The gap is there because I had to adjust the placement of the entire gate due to fact that the pipes used were just a smidge larger in diameter than the top and bottom of the old tailgate.

Okay... I'm done for the day. It was 103 here at 11am, so...

Afterwhile, crocodiles.

brEad, fauj, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  20. Great work as usual my friend!

ccain likes this.
  21. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Were those latches original to the truck? I didn't realize Ford went away from chains so early.

Devin

22. Nah, these are aftermarket. I'm unsure as to the source but they're more than likely from a defunct brand. They're probably from the late 90's early 2000's or something like that.

That reminds me, I need to look through my stash of fasteners. Those allen head bolts on the catch are all wobbled out.

fauj likes this.
  23. Product Placement Update:

After a rather anxious measuring and drilling session, the ass end says "FORD" again.
    So... I guess this means I'm
    keeping the Fairlane emblem. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I centered up the little FORD crest on the tailgate. That threw the "V" up a little higher on the tailgate and I think it looks just about right where it needs to be.

I'll report back later.

Have a great day, guys. Get out there and tear some shit up! ;):cool:

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I spent most of the morning getting the tailgate to fit and latch a little better. She clunks even easier now.

ffr1222k, nosford, coupe man and 7 others like this.
  24. Looking great! That emblem will pop even more once you throw a coat of paint on the tailgate!

ccain likes this.
  25. Been workin' around the heat this weekend. Managed to straighten out the emblem and getting it to fit the sheet metal without stress points. Careful grinding and sanding got it done.

And here's the latest rendition of the emblem...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry to burst your bubble @GirchyGirchy I tried that gear and dart thing but it always came out skewed when I tried to make it fit. :( BUT, I did find a font with numbers that played well with the "F" from the Fairlane emblem.

Now... it's time to prep this thing for paint. Might be a little while before I topcoat it because of the heat. Maybe I can get it sprayed one morning before it gets too hot. Time will tell.

To my west coast peeps, have a great late Sunday evening. As for you guys on the east coast... shouldn't you be in bed? Don't you have work in the morning? :p

Nite, j'all.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  26. That font nailed it!

fauj and ccain like this.
  27. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Yeah, only other way would be to enlarge the lightning bolt and keep the gear smaller so it's still circular...probably wouldn't work the best either.

I love your final version, fits the truck/era better IMO. Looks fantastic, great work on that and the tailgate!

fauj and ccain like this.
  28. That emblem turned out great! But, I could also be somewhat biased... :D

13C12050-7205-4E59-A581-F855130CD566.jpeg

scotty t, MRW1994, fauj and 3 others like this.
  29. God, I love that car!

Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  30. Great work! Looks awesome!

ccain likes this.