Register now to get rid of these ads!

ultra rare cars, sac-religious to cut?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Sep 1, 2006.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

if you had the chance to cut up an ultra rare piece, and do it right would you? Case in point, 1931 willys cabriolet, turned early style hotrod.

Attached Files:

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I would ask the question of rare vs. desirable and how they relate to each other with this particular model of car. These are two very different things to me. Then toss in the question - Is this what I really want to build?

3. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

It would be wrong to put that engine in. So you can send it my way. :D

I would leave the body stock myself. But thats me and I'm a little funny sometimes.:eek:

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

rarity means little to me. what I would never do is take a nice original car and cut it up. especially if all you are keeping is the body and maybe the frame.

looks like you have already made up your mind... go for it.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

is that the same Willys that has been on craigslist all summer
    and driving around stock as recently as a month ago?

6. Squablow

Squablow

I'm with 49ratfink on this one. How rare it is doesn't mean much, unless we're talking about a one of a kind concept car or something like that.

If it was just a body to begin with, no big deal, it probably wasn't ever going to be a whole car again. But a complete original car, be it rare or common, is a shame to cut up. They're only original once.

7. Skirv

Skirv

I agree with this. The Anglia Ute pictured in my avatar is pretty darn rare, but I don't think that it's that desirable. Anyway, I cut the heck out of it.

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

If it would be practical to restore, maybe, but otherwise it's just spare parts.

9. Would you drive if it was bone stock? Personally, I like to see rare cars customized or turned hot rod, but I gotta agree that if it's complete, it's a little tougher to cut up. Most likely I'd sell a complete one and look for a builder...that's just me, though.

Bryan

10. Bugman

Bugman

I wouldn't cut up a 31 Duesenburg or Cadilliac because they are both rare and desirable, a 31 Willys, no matter how rare, is still "just a Willys."

11. old beet

old beet

Yer ride, cut it up!!!!!!..........OLDBEET

12. It never ceases to amaze me when guys hack up nice original cars and then throw away all the shit that would have been bad on a rotty or stripped out car, anyways. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Ulitmately, a car is yours to do as you see fit, though. Just advertise the leftovers in Hemmings or on here so someone who wants them, can get them.

I have a couple now that should I get to build them, I have no intention of doing anything that can't be undone - but then some, like this '42 Hudson, don't need a lot done to them to be nice. Just slip a twin-H 303 in it, lower it and dechrome it a little, and go to town.

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Jim,
    That Willys is yours to build as you see fit. If you can get enjoyment out of building it,then by all means go for it!!!

I too am faced with that kind of a decission. I have an ultra rare 34 Hupp 3W Cpe (actually it's a used by permission 34 Ford Cabriolet & 3W cpe body tooling by Murray Body Co.). Right now it runs a 50 Plymouth 6 in it, but I was thinking on putting in a 49 Olds 303 with the Hydro, just as what have been done back in the early 50's. It has a clean firewall so I don't even want to cut into that, but a Hupp is 5"s longer than a Ford (I may be ok) so I really have to do my homework before I secure the Olds & yank the 6. Don't ya just love them orphan cars;).

14. bcarlson

bcarlson

If I didn't have my heart set on that car, then I would see if a collector/restorer would buy it for enough to cover replacement with a more interesting car. If not? Chop it up.

Ben

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slice and dice, I wanna cut up the first Rolls Royce Silver Cloud and put a Hemi in it. Just because it would make all those restorers cry not because I like in any way.
    Honestly, if it were a one off, Id leave it. If it was a perfect original Id leave it, everything else is fair game.

16. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Cut that sum bi#ch!!!!!:D :D :D .....
    Buzz Bomb

17. 5window

5window

I'd not cut up something rare or desirable. there just aren't any more of them and the loss to the history of automobiles could not be replaced. Lots of junk out there waiting to be taken advantage of. But if you cut it, who is ever going to see another one? But,it's your car--

18. Split Bones

Split Bones

Not that i have been in the position to have to deside...to cut a rare car or not ...but in my neck of the woods ...all tin is rare......so just do it ...if thats what you want

19. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

I think the most important part is pleasing yourself, you're the one that has to be happy. You don't want to be saying "wished I'd done it differently" I love something different, too many cars exactly alike, you walk around a car show and the only difference on a lot of 'em is the color of the wheels. Go for it.

20. To me a car is all about individuality, soooo until you cut it up or modify it, no mater WHAT IT IS it's still the manufacturers car, your just driving it . Well that's me, I was the lil kid that if you said don't, I did! as an adult that translates into the rarer the car the more I want to cut it up.

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The previous owner took this to Hershey for 3 years before I bought it. I must have heard 5 people say "anyone that would hot rod that car should be shot" While I was looking it over. The P.O. said BUY IT and SAVE IT!!!! Nobody stepped up to the plate...

[​IMG]

I had the pinstriper paint "So...shoot me!" below the rumble lid.:D

Anybody that drove one like yours and would like it to be just like they remember it is probably drooling in their oatmeal. No disrespect to the elderly I'm not to far from the oatmeal asylum myself.:D Just a fact of life.

22. kwiksilver

kwiksilver

That is SWEET!!! somebody shat the pants on that one. Great job!!

23. Many are challenged with a decision like this if they are involved with the car hobby for any length of time. Remember the car is yours. Do what makes you happy. It's the only way you'll keep the interest needed to finish the project.
    For my 2 cents worth. I've saved one and sacrificed one. It was all based on the rarity , the auto's historical significance as far as design or event participation, the cost of rebuilding and the value after completion. The Facel Vega was saved but I really struggled to come to a decision. As for the 48 Buick sedanette there wasn't the least hesitation to build it as a traditional custom.
    The AACA used to have a list of what they called "milestone cars", that met the criteria of being significantly important to the evolution of the design , engineering and acceptance of the automobile into society. Its not a bad starting point if your undecided.
    Several weeks ago "the barn find of the year" was uncovered in Frankfort, Illinois. In the late 50's, early 60' some one decided to convert a chassis into a fiberglassed bodied (Devin) race car . It had the typical story of a project that changed hands and was victim of lost interest. It turns out that the chassis belonged to very significant early racing Ferrari . The new buyer of the car understood what this car was all about and its significance to automotive history. There is a major effort on the behalf of many individuals to bring this car back to it former glory. I guess if the car is really that rare it really doesnt matter what shape its in. They keep finding their way back to the automotive spotlight.

Best of luck

Larry

24. I built a 37 Rolls Royce Limo -st Rod for a guy one time- I still sleep at night......

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cut, chop, channel any car. If you can stay up with freeway traffic at 70 mph you did good.

26. You did the right thing. No offence, but it was kind of ugly in stock form. Looks great now, looks like it could almost be changed back.

27. singledownloop

singledownloop

around here it seems like most of the people that are going to "save" an old car just let it sit and rot.At least a lot of the hot rod builders i have known get the cars back on the road.............

28. onefish

onefish

Do you have any more pics of that thing? Like the dash or firewall? It looks a lot like the cowl that I am using with the piano type hing on the window frame and the window frame being attached to the cowl. I thought it was a buick.
    Oh, and I'm not having a problem hacking on mine.:)

Attached Files:

29. peanut

peanut

i say do what you want! its yours!!! a buddy of my dads gave me a 32 light bar, and it was a good one. and i cut it up and made what i wanted out of it. sooo what. some would think that is crazy!

30. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

Hell anybody can restore one, takes a real man to cut em up.:D