Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how do you do the air con

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobby, Jun 17, 2022.

1. nobby

nobby

compressor on the engine
    one switch to activate magnetic clutch type thing on compressor
    pumps to a radiator type thing next to cars front mounted radiator
    goes to another radiator in the cab
    fan with switch to blow through this radiator ducted into vent on dash

does the on off swicth for ac then switch the magnetic clutch and the on fan

is it simple

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

There is a thermostat in the inside unit, that turns the compressor on when it gets too warm. This thermostat switch is adjustable.

3. hepme

hepme

strongly suggest you get some textbooks or a comprehensive a/c book and do some education on the how's/why's and overall design of an automotive a/c system.. they are not complicated but the components need to facilitate each other-work together. If you decide to charge on anyway, consider a system like vintage air or someone who sells the whole shebang. They are not cheap, but will work great if installed right.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

I cobbled up my a/c system with an evaporator from one car, compressor from the wreckers, condenser from somewhere else because I do things cheap but it sure would have been smarter to get everything as one package.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I've cobbled a few together, they generally work. As long as the components are from the same general era.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This pfd is for the Vintage air version of the Mark IV under dash air conditioner unit. That is about as simple a setup that you can put together but the diagrams should help you with any setup you are putting together. https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/672001-VHY.pdf
    That came from here https://www.vintageair.com/custom/product-pop.php?pn=672001-VHY If the PFD link doesn't work.
    The switch at or near the condenser is the safety switch that can also be used to kick on the auxiliary electric fan when the AC is on. I think my OT Caddy had that to kick on the second fan when you turned the AC on. All ac units work pretty well he same as this diagram. Screenshot (143).png

7. squirrel

squirrel

That drawing does not show the thermostat switch inside the Evap unit, which is what controls the compressor clutch.

rockable likes this.
  8. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Also, all of the cars I have ever had with aircon have a switch that engages about the same position as kickdown on the throttle pedal (or at least very close to wide open).

That disengages the clutch when you are needing the engine power the most (such as passing a vehicle).

Phil

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the simplest A/C set up ever... 460... 4 windows down, 60 MPH... :cool:

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not retired, so time is still money for me.

I build systems from parts from Vintage Air. Their stuff just works, and it is brand new.

Randall, BamaMav and 427 sleeper like this.
  11. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>how do you do the air con>>>

We don't play dat game here.

homeycarey.gif

427 sleeper likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, we sure do!

Uncomfortable cars don't get driven everywhere, all the time.

southerncad likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

they do by some idiots!

Driver50x and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some folks enjoy discomfort.

That's not for the rest of us to judge.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Discomfort is mostly what traditional hot rodding is all about.

Desoto291Hemi, rod1, alchemy and 3 others like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best advice. Manufacturers like Vintage Air, Old Air Products, etc show schematics, kits or just parts for all sized vehicles.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife earned her creds for riding in hot to extremely hot interiors in the 48 and the 51 Merc on Serous road trips. Not 100 miles across New Jersey or Illinois in 80 degrees temps thinking you made a big road trip but 2000 miles each way in 100 + record heat. Riding in the canopy on the back of the pickup dumping cups of water on our two year old to keep her cooled off. I'm putting air in the 48 because the first trip after it is done is pretty much a repeat of that 1981 road trip. She has earned the ac and not having the wind beat the crap out of her for days on end running with the windows down. If the posers don't like it so be it.

18. hepme

hepme

A/C in S. Texas is a religious thing-always pray it never fails. (ex: last night it never dropped below 92).
    Rods always start out w/out it, but eventually wind up with it. Like others i've used components i've found or bought and pieced it together, they work but not to the level of a vintage air system or other one that's functionally designed. If a trip or long rod run is in the plans, my opinion would be one of these systems-short hops in town-the pieces are o.k.

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-6-20_4-5-36.png

Hello,

A/C in cars, old and new are wonderful things. it does not matter where you live or work. A/C is a part of everyday life on the road. The early A/C installations were based on what was available from the big factories. So, the one component York Compressors were the most popular. But, over time, they started having problems, including adapting them to the tight engine compartments. Most York installations were vertical and were about 4 x 6 x 10 tall.

So, as you can see, it was a major gob of stuff on the motor. The seals in the top plate were the first to go and although it did pump quite cold, once they started leaking, our A/C guy recommended getting a new one not just a couple of new seals. That worked until we sold the 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery.
    upload_2022-6-20_4-6-17.png
    Then our next three cars had York Compressors again and they must have gotten better. No maintenance for any of them. When my wife got in one of her cars, the a/c came on automatically as she just did not like the heat or wet environment that was outside of the car(s).

Jnaki

Finally, the rotary compressors came on the scene and so far, every car we have owned from many different European Manufacturers have no maintenance and that is cool... Pun intended. Our neighbor has a hot rod truck and on his SBC motor, the smaller rotary compressor is not as noticeable as those old vertical York Compressors. YRMV