Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ‘32 Tudor Resurrection at a slow pace

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by yard man, Jun 8, 2022.

1. yard man

yard man

Afternoon all, poking around in the garage and realized I should keep track of this. So here we are. A while back I bought this old ‘32 sedan body and frame rails from
    @2deuces64 here on the board. From what i can tell it was probably an old racer. There remnants of a torched out firewall, and a healthy amount taken out of the roof. Over the span of the last couple years been setting parts aside. And finding the pieces to repair the missing portions of the body . (Still looking for some stuff). Anyway, I’ve managed to get the roller loosely mocked together and threw the body on safe enough to roll. Flattened out some ‘32 crossmembers.

got the front end together, just need to finalize some stuff. 33-36 dropped axle, 39 Lincoln brakes, ‘32 spindles, ‘40 v8-60 rims.

right now there’s a ‘41 banjo under it but plans call for a 57 Olds rear end I need to put spring hangers on, and drill for the Ford bolt pattern.

As for the motor, I tend to go for things that are a pain in the ass, so I’m working on a ‘52 Cadillac 331 that I’ll be stuffing a 390 rotating assembly into along with 390 heads and a mild cam. As well as a Lasalle trans behind it.

gotta do some repairs and box the rails before I can really get after it, but here’s where we’re at.

Trying to focus I’m turning into one of those guys with loads of parts but nothing running.

Attached Files:

Tim, Budget36, Packrat and 5 others like this.
  2. yard man

yard man

Got most of the pieces to fix the bustle , gotta stitch it all together. But the real issue is going to be the sub rails. I’d hoped to modify some United pacific 5w sub rails but I’m noticing these bodies are wider than 5 windows. Might have to rethink that, any advise is welcome.

3. deuceman32

deuceman32

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;) Nice work on the crossmembers, very tidy.

4. alchemy

alchemy

If you weren’t in California I’d trade you some tudor subrails for your UP rails.

yard man likes this.

5. Jay, I've got a complete set of Tudor Sub rails with a " Bitchin Products floor IMG_20210927_175557204.jpg IMG_20210927_175548097.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  6. yard man

yard man

7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I understand it the frames are the same on each '32 model, so I can't see how the subrails can be different, but I could be wrong. The ones pictured with the Bitchin floor look identical as far as I can tell to my Brookville 3w. Again I could be wrong.

Chris

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The difference in the subrails is the location of the door opening. I have mixed subrails in the past before good reproductions were available. Sedan rails need some modifications for a roadster or 5 window and a lot for the 3 window.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

In addition to the opening for the door being different lengths, a tudor has a wider rocker than a coupe or roadster. The rocker sticks farther out from the frame right in front of the fender. I think they droop a touch lower right in front of the fender too. Not really interchangeable at all, unless you cut a lot of the outer skin stuff away.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  10. yard man

yard man

this is why I’m rethinking cutting up the 5w sub rails. By the time I ruin these, I could’ve just made some, or invested more effort in finding some Tudor sub rails.

11. brady1929

brady1929

Great hot rod.

12. 343w

343w

I made some repairs to my tudor sub-rails at the fender-wells with some bent 16 gauge pieces, it doesn't show with the new fender-wells in place and with the floor replaced, it's a 60's hot rod..