Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Winfield Cam 34 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Burton, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

I have searched and searched and only know of one person that knows anything about this cam. I have a 59a flathead Winfield 34 1 cam. I have heard it was a drag boat cam but that’s all i know about it. Does anyone here have any info about it?? The cam is stamped WINFIELD on the top and 34 1 on the bottom half with a space between. It could also be WINFIELD 341?

Tman likes this.
  2. There are some Winfield cam comparisons on the Tilden technology site .
    They list many cams,,,,,but the Winfield models are,,,,the Winfield Semi,,,,the Winfield 3/4,,,Winfield Full,,,,and the Winfield SU1A .
    Perhaps your 34 1,,,,is a Winfield 3/4 ?,,,,,who knows,,,,,,hope this gave you a little help .

Tommy

Lucky Burton and Budget36 like this.
  3. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Is the cam out of the motor? If so, most cam grinders can map it for you for low cost. This will give you an idea of overlap, duration, lift etc. A quick comparison to other manufacturers cams will then show you how wild it is.

Option B is to set the cam up in either a dummy engine block or on a set of vee-blocks. Mount a cam degree wheel to the cam snout with some glue, and make yourself a simple pointer out of wire. Put a dial indicator on an intake lobe. Turn the cam say 5 degrees at a time (reading the degree wheel), write down the valve lift. Repeat for the exhaust lobe. Compare the results to other manufacturers again.

Most boat (or landspeed) cams will have really, really large duration... designed for running flat-stick.

Cheers,
    Harv

Lucky Burton likes this.
  4. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

This cam is slightly bigger the the SU1a i have to compare it to.

5. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Yeah its out. I going to take it to a guy to look at. It’s very comparable to a Winfield su1a cam i have out too. It’s slightly bigger with what looks a little fatter in the lobe area. Yeah i was told good land speed cam because of the duration. Granted I don’t know what that is yet but ill find out soon i hope. My best guess is there’s not a lot of this particular cam out there. Thank you for the help

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. Please report back with specs when you get them.

7. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Lucky,
    Did you ever get the specs? I just picked one up.

Attached Files:

8. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I also would like to know.

9. You might try contacting “Ol’ Ron.” over on the Ford Barn. Been around forever and has a lot of cam knowledge. Or try “KiWinUs” also on there, he’s a cam grinder.

10. Budget36

Budget36

So that shows 3/4, not 34. I wonder if @Lucky Burton missed the slash, or maybe it wasn’t stamped?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Tha
    thats a 3/4 and a nice cam. I had one in my little blue truck it sounds so good. My odd ball cam is not a 3/4 cam

12. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Mine reads 3/4 and then next to it is a 1. 3/4 1. I wonder what the 1 meant. Like 3/4 and 1 regrind maybe? Or did 3/4 all have a 1 also?