Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Weekend Heroes II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Weekend Heroes II

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great photos, just not many to see here. But thanks.

3. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Unfortunately, there aren't many available online, so dug up what I could!

chryslerfan55 and BrerHair like this.
  4. Great stuff, thank you.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Here's a few more photos from the Weekend Heroes II 3 volume set:

18.jpg
    32PB52K.jpg
    3332B.jpg
    FNB.jpg
    Jerry Austin (grey hair) D-type Jaguar.jpg
    Laguna.jpg
    MilesPS55.jpg
    Pomona Porsche.jpg
    Reno.jpg
    Seymour 'Chick' Leson - Maserati 150S.jpg

BrerHair likes this.
  6. Pic #7 is the Flying Shingle, an MG based special built and raced by Ken Miles who later hooked up with Carol Shelby and drove his Cobras. Love these old pics, my stepfather had an MG TD that I learned how to drive in. As a 16 year old I thought I was Stirling Moss in that car !!! How about the Jaguar (?, D Type/C Type ?) perched up on 55 gallon drums being worked on.

daylatedollarshort likes this.
  7. cranejon

cranejon

Late 50's, early 60's there was a T-bucket that mopped up in the scca races around San Francisco. Any pictures?

8. AmishMike

AmishMike

^^^ you must be thinking of famous Duffy Livingston ( founder of go carts ) roadster. Brock Yates later owned & wrote book about it - “ the hot rod, resurrection of a legend “. Fun read great little road race roadster

9. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Nice coverage Jive.
    I’ll take it a step further…
    Sports Cars are JUST AS IMPORTANT to American Automotive History as Hot Rods & Customs.

rod1 and ric like this.
  10. AmishMike

AmishMike

Anyone have pic of Ak Miller famous mexican road race roadster “ cabal o de hiero” with the olds engine?

11. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

B S Levy is the author of a fictional book named “The Last Open Road” which covers this era of sports cars and sports car racing. Even though this is a fictional book it is very accurate with the cars, racing and even the famous names of the time. The book follows the adventures of a teenager (Buddy Pulumbo) working in a gas station in the 50’s him getting involved with cars and racing. Anyone who has ever worked in a gas station or has worked on cars will identify with the story and characters. I started reading this book and couldn’t put it down. It’s a series of five books but they all stand alone. I sure if you found the blog interesting you would enjoy the book.

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As avid readers of everything available about hot rods and drag racing, my brother and I grew up knowing about different racers and their creations. Some of them we saw at Lion’s Dragstrip every weekend and others, we read about in those magazines. But, there were some magazines catering to not only hot rods, but sporty cars and such.

The race cars were pretty much built in the same meticulous, painstaking way and they were just set up a little differently for each application. One of our favorite driver/builders was Dave McDonald drag racer and road racer from So Cal.

“Dave MacDonald began his racing career as a drag racer, running stock Corvettes on the dragstrips of Southern California. Between 1956 and 1959 he had earned nearly 100 trophies and six standing start speed records in ¼ & ½ mile speed trials. MacDonald ran 70 races in Corvettes between 1960 and 1962 with 31 victories and 46 top three finishes. He was hired by Carroll Shelby at the start of the 1963 season.”

His exploits were pretty amazing. Then as he got better in the sports car racing field, he was hired away to start driving exclusively sports cars from big name builders and in a Corvette.
    upload_2022-7-23_3-27-56.png
    Dave MacDonald shows off a few of the many trophies he took on the dragstrip with his Corvette.

upload_2022-7-23_3-29-34.png

Jnaki

Where did Dave MacDonald drag race his Corvettes?
    upload_2022-7-23_3-30-27.png

All over So Cal, but then his road racing career came to light at the same favorite Riverside Raceway road course. The dragstrip was a part of the straightaway. His career was then noted as one of the best local road racers during this time period. A So Cal kid in his element… until.