Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Ford 16" centers in F250 wheel hoop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dak Rat, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I read (probably on here) that the Ford F250 16" wheel has the correct size inside diameter 13-5/8" to accept the '40-'48 ford center. My question: can anyone confirm this? These wheels are 6" wide and would be what I'm looking for as far fender clearance. They are not that common and before I head to the wrecking yard to search I thought I'd ask. Thanks for any help.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Takes a big sledge to fit 13.625 into 13.48.

I can't say about the F-250 wheels, but I do know there are other odd wheels out there with the correct ID. I found a Chevy pickup wheel with the right ID, and 5" wide. Maybe other makes used the same wheel vendor?

4. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I didn't know how etched in stone 13 5/8" was. I'm not stupid. That's why I said "close enough". Sorry. Have you looked at Hey Wheel ? Lots of cool blanks there.
    Mike

5. Those F250 caps are bigger as is the wheel - like a big 6 lug wheel.....

6. I have some 90s Ford 3/4 hoops with 40s/50s Chevy car centers on my panel and some Ford inner bump 16". I'll check at the end of the week if you want. All I can do is use a big caliper and a tape measure.

alchemy likes this.
  7. rusty valley

rusty valley

Trim the center in a lathe to fit the hoop, then its all true

Tman likes this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have a few of the 3/4 ton Dodge / Ford 8 lug 16s on hand . The ones I have are super heavy material and the valve stem hole is larger than a passenger car hole . Not that it matters just sayin

9. Budget36

Budget36

Wouldn’t leave much of the lip. I guess if welded well may not make a difference?

10. That's what I was thinking too. That is a heavy duty truck rim and is gonna add a fair bit of weight.

rusty valley likes this.
  11. rusty valley

rusty valley

True ^^^, even the Ford pre 66 1/2 ton wheels are noticeably heavier than a car wheel when you pick one up . I have a few centers I have saved from bad wheels over the years with the intent on doing it someday, but not there yet. I would start by truing the edge in a lathe, or at least a light cut just to see how round they are.

12. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Following this one. Would be cool to find a hoop with safety beads that works. Even better if we could find a 4” or 4.5” wide one…

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

The wheels for my 1952 M38 army jeep are 16x5, 5 on 5 1/2, with a safety bead. no bumps for ford caps, but the hoop would be good. Prolly not easy to find. Safety beads are not necessary IMHO, but we've been thru all that