Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. When they told Clara Bow(spelling) that Calvin Coolidge was dead she replied “how can you tell?”

Boneyard51 and The Shift Wizard like this.
  2. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

This has been hanging in my shop for sometime. B873717A-749A-4A13-BADC-740277F94EDF.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^ 12 very true statements by those who know! ^^^^

4. verde742

verde742

Here I sit brokenhearted, came to poop, but only farted,

Then one evening I took a chance, thought I would fart and pooped my pants.

old persons', tale of woe...

5. verde742

verde742

Buttera told me, " The way you make money with Hot Rodders, You build a part nobody needs,
    THEN "Get the magazines to convince everyone its cool to have it on yer car. "

6. sweaty51

sweaty51

Mom used to say "can't never could" and my all time favorite "if you wanna know why, just follow the money"

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

“Pain has always been the price…”

Hello,

Like most folks growing up from the early 1950s to the present day, we have seen our share of pain. Whether it is on other people or within our own family. Pain is hard to overcome in most situations.

The early sports team coaches did not do as much counseling as the current ones. The mentors of building hot rods and customs do not expound on their builds as “the” way to complete/finish a classic hot rod.

The type of pain that comes from a loss, whether it is from family is the hardest to understand and cope with for a long time. The common loss in most daily lives are those that can be adjusted or adapted to complete the situation to its fullest.

Jnaki

Even when the pain comes from getting in shape for just living, there is some form of pain. Adapting to the pain is life management…YRMV

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Here's an old ornery line my dear departed (former) father in law told me when approaching women.

"Hey baby do you know the difference between sex and conversation?"...... No? "Good lay down I wanna talk to you!" Lol

9. In honor of Father's Day, today, I found this list of "Rules For Sons" online. I don't know the particular father to attribute it to, but I know that he is a wise father.........

RULES FOR SONS:
    1. Never shake a man’s hand sitting down.
    2. Don’t enter a pool by the stairs.
    3. The man at the BBQ Grill is the closest thing to a king.
    4. In a negotiation, never make the first offer.
    5. Request the late check-out.
    6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
    7. Hold your heroes to a higher standard.
    8. Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas.
    9. Play with passion or not at all…
    10. When shaking hands, grip firmly and look them in the eye.
    11. Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.
    12. If you need music on the beach, you’re missing the point.
    13. Carry two handkerchiefs. The one in your back pocket is for you. The one in your breast pocket is for her.
    14. You marry the girl, you marry her family.
    15. Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.
    16. Experience the serenity of traveling alone.
    17. Never be afraid to ask out the best looking girl in the room.
    18. Never turn down a breath mint.
    19. A sport coat is worth 1000 words.
    20. Try writing your own eulogy. Never stop revising.
    21. Thank a veteran. Then make it up to him.
    22. Eat lunch with the new kid.
    23. After writing an angry email, read it carefully. Then delete it.
    24. Ask your mom to play. She won’t whiff her shots to let you win.
    25. Manners maketh the man.
    26. Give credit. Take the blame.
    27. Stand up to Bullies. Protect those bullied.
    28. Write down your dreams.
    29. Always protect your siblings (and teammates).
    30. Be confident and humble at the same time.
    31. Call and visit your parents often. They miss you.
    32. The healthiest relationships are those where you’re a team and you respect, protect, and stand up for each other.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  10. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

I may not make your funeral, but I’ll be here for the auction!!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good reason to get rid of all your s**t before you die!

12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

My chemistry professor always said " You can't only do one thing".

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. verde742

verde742

HERE'S A QUOTE FROM ME : Hope you ALL listen :::

I was too darn thrifty to spend $200.00 to get my SHINGLES VACCINE before I was 60 tears old,
    ( My wife got hers at 51 years old.)
    HERE'S MY QUOTE ______GET YOUR SHINGLES VACCINE AROUND 50 YEARS OLD !!!!!!
    " Well PEOPLE, I am 78 years old, and I will pay anything to rid myself of this miserable affliction,!!!!!

14. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

All joking aside, that's really good advice. I had shingles about 2004. Top of my head , down around my left eye to my left cheek. I still have weird sensations everywhere I had the rash. Permanent nerve damage. And it's no fun.

enloe, chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

16. atch

atch

Danny, I like yours better. But the nutritionists say "if it tastes good spit it out."

17. verde742

verde742

ALWAYS KEEP A LITTER BAG IN YER CAR,
    IT TAKES VERY LITTLE ROOM,
    AND IF IT GETS CLEAR FULL,
    YOU CAN ALWAYS PITCH IT OUT THE WINDOW ..

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    tommyd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

"Never test the depth of the water with both feet."

upload_2022-6-24_4-11-44.png Trust

Hello,

Having surfed in big waves and far out distance paddling to get to the surf spot, a certain level of trust is always implied with your friends that are in the same situation. One time in Baja, Mexico, a friend and I were the only ones walking out to the end of a jetty and jumping into the bay to paddle around to the peaks.

The harbor was a fishing destination port. With processing done right on the shoreline. There were two great surf breaks within the harbor and we spotted one more outside of the harbor breakwater.

So, needless to say, the processing/cleaning drew some unwelcome visitors lurking under the surface of the harbor entrance. As we paddled around the end to see the actual peaks, we were happy to be the only two out there riding to our heart’s content. But, due to the “shaky” surroundings, a level of trust was implied. If a rider fell, the other would paddle in to get the loose longboard and help the other. The waves were outstanding, as we were the only two out there, besides those underwater missles...

Riding those waves were outstanding, but a little on the harried moment side. Jump up many years later and the same thing applied when my wife and I were invited to stay for a summer in Kauai. Our friend had just finished building a house and wanted us to visit. How could we say no?
    upload_2022-6-24_4-16-15.png
    1962 Rambler Sedan surf transportation in the tropical sun...

We had to paddle outside for a long distance in several surf spots to get to the actual peaks. Between the shoreline and peak were deep water canyons and shallow reefs that made the break work well. But, stories about those “things” lurking below us were a little on the weird feeling side. Plus, we were almost a half mile outside in the ocean, still within sight of the beach, but, it was like being in open water.

A level of trust built over the days we surfed that long distance paddle surf break. So, when our friend said he had something to show us and that we would enjoy the road trip, we were interested.

Jnaki

A long drive over a bumpy dirt road leading into a thick jungle brought up all kinds of stories and situations. We all laughed and enjoyed the surroundings. Then a long walk through the jungles to a small stream. We followed the stream to its end and what a surprise it was. It disappeared as we were approaching the end. It was pure blue sky and thick green forests surrounding everyone. So, what happened?

Now, our friend told us of the place and we all stood around with quizzical faces. We all had plenty of questions and the beauty of the surroundings were nothing to scoff about. It was a thick jungle paradise with a large pool of water at the bottom. And… the little stream was turning into a fast water fall(s) into the large body of water.

So, we were told that jumping was safe, as the bottom was deep. What? Then if we did not want to jump, the natural formation of the edge of the tall cliff, made a smooth slide into the water, sitting down or laying down like paddling on chests. Having never done something from so high a platform was officially scary. What was the bottom like and how fast would we go to hit the bottom?

Trust was evident as I went off the cliff with a long leap, feet first… I did not hit the bottom and up I came to try out the slides.
    upload_2022-6-24_4-19-44.png
    Photos by Vnak

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. In my dad's voice:

Can't never did anything.
    When everything goes wrong, what's right is what's left.
    If it was easy, everybody would do it.
    Do epic shit.
    Always look at the purse first.
    Check out the mom before you commit to the daughter.
    Don't borrow what you can't afford, if you break it.
    Never assume.
    Buy dirt.

20. “Nothing states your position more clearly than a punch in the face.” Sonny Barger

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

He just passed. Sad day!

Bones

deathrowdave and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." A.A. Milne

Hello,

When I first wanted to modify a car, customize it and cruise around like my older brother, I had some big dreams. But, hanging around absorbing ideas like a sponge helped more than I realized at the time. Sure, learning the “ropes” of mechanics, maintenance and the feeling of accomplishment is great. It was just a nagging feeling that I would not live up to the knowledge passed on from my brother when it was my time.

But, some words given in our late night conversations allowed me to move on and try stuff with the knowledge gained from him. “You are capable and know how to do stuff… so, just do it well.” To this day, it has stuck to me like glue and I have always lived up to his expectations.

When I was first learning to surf, I did not go to the beach with my brother, but I wanted to get a jump start on showing him what I could do in the surf. So, I went with a friend. It was a good day with plenty of waves rolling in and I was not comfortable paddling out after riding in on one wave.

I was getting tired paddling and having to roll under so many walls of whitewater blasting me as I thought I was going outside. But, I found out later, drifting down the beach, beat to $@#@!. I had a bloody mouth as the surfboard hit me in the lower lip and I use a towel stopping the bleeding, all the way home to Long Beach from Huntington Beach.

upload_2022-7-1_4-20-59.png
    While at the doctor’s office getting worked on and I was fending off my mother lambasting me for getting involved in such a “dangerous activity.” She could not get over the fact that I had 8 stiches inside my mouth and my face looked like the “Pillsbury Doughboy.” I thought of giving up right then. But, my brother helped me by boosting my thoughts and making me think it is worth any diversions.

Jnaki

upload_2022-7-1_4-22-37.png

The quote stayed through the following generations, with my son and then his granddaughter. Good words of wisdom...

Well, 45 years later and skills learned from those earlier experiences, having someone giving me constant support all worked out in the long history and lifestyle. Adjust, endure and don’t give up, as we are smart enough to let the experience build our confidences.

23. jnaki

jnaki

“Memories are becoming more vivid with age. Time was folding in a new way.”
    upload_2022-7-8_3-57-49.png

Hello,

The more I look at old photos of our family times, the more I am convinced of the adventures we used to have. At one location, there were many different activities that involved our hot rod cars at the time. So, when we said something was happening, a photo or film clip will bring back the facts in play.

rewards

But, as much stuff as we were able to do, it was all teenage fun. Work, military, college, ??? marriage all loomed ahead for each of us. The memories are blank as to how we decided to move on in life after high school. So, most of us just went to the next level of education and fun stuff to do in between classes. For some folks, college just a place like high school with ashtrays. A vivid memory of multiple ash trays in every building and in front of the library comes to mind.

The drags were fading as implied by our family memories. Several new adventures were happening that could be future endeavors. A motorcycle shop took over the Willys Coupe Speed Shop build area, the surfboard making and repair shop joined in the fray. But the hot rods still sat in the green grass parking area in our backyard, constantly reminding us of the “good old days.” School continued as with most of our friends went along with the next logical “parental” thinking step. It was either that or get drafted or just join the military. Some did, some did not…

Jnaki

Our memories of that particular crossroads during the years that followed the H.S. graduation were important. Although at the time, it was just another step in having a fun lifestyle without much thought or care what the other million people were doing across the country.
    upload_2022-7-8_3-32-25.png Road trip adventures galore started and continued for the next 12 years.

So, it was continual hot rod experiments, sometimes racing and cruising around into the late night. We thought we were older, wiser and coming into legal drinking age, so the world was ahead of us. The memories of our times as a teenager were great, but a new road to the future was looming and no one knew what was going to happen. We were looking at the world with a different perspective. YRMV

As Bob Dylan mentioned… “times, they are a changing…” Boy, don't we know it now!!!

24. verde742

verde742

I ask the 5 year nabor: How old are you? she said five,
    I said: "thats how old I was when I was your age"

I said : Are you married ?
    She said " I am going marry my dad, when my MOM dies !!!!

25. This kind of reminds me of one of my aunts..... She was REALLY pissed off when my Mom married my Dad! She wanted to marry him....... she was 9 at the time!

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Janaki, you may not believe this ,but this land locked Okie has actually surfed! I did it in Hawaii! I went up to the shack and rented a board! The guy behind the counter looked at this 250 lbs , 55 year old, super white guy and paused, then he went to the back of the shop and brought out the biggest surfboard I had ever seen! It looked like an aircraft carrier!
    I paddle out to where the other guys where and learned something! They don’t sit on those boards to look cool or wait for the perfect wave……they are RESTING!lol
    I gave it a few tries and finally got completely up on my hind legs and rode that board about twenty feet before crashing and breaking a toe on coral!
    I was what looked like a 1/2 mile out and the ocean was still only about six feet deep! Just my luck!
    But…..I surfed! I did!

Bones

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

In the movie "Buddy, Buddy" Jack Lemon goes on & on about his wife problems, then turns to Walter Matheu & asks: "Have you ever been married?" Mattheu's answer was classic : " Naw, I rent!"

28. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Followed by one I came up with a few years ago : "In my age group, most of the women are happily married, bitterly divorced, widowed & not interested, or their 'girlfriend' doesn't like them talking to men... Then there's the ones that are left that bear a STRONG resemblance to John Madden in DRAG..."

29. brando1956

brando1956

My old Army buddy on payday; "I needs my money like a hog needs slop."

30. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Left ain't right, and right ain't wrong.