Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford in a Ford. I need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Pecora, May 22, 2022.

1. Ken Pecora

Ken Pecora

I bought an unfinished project.1940 standard tudor. It has a GM 10 bolt rear with parallel leafs and tube shocks in the rear. Disc brakes and split wishbones up front. It has bolt in motor mounts supposedly from CE for a small block Ford. I have a low mileage 5.0L from a 2000 Explorer I would like to use. This would use a carb and distributor, no electronics. I also have C4 trans with the six bolt bell housing from a V8 car I want to use. What do I need to tie the block to the pedestals on the frame? Someone out there must have done this swap. Any help will be appreciated.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

PM me an Email,I help and send you photos

3. If you have the Chassis Engineering Ford mounts they may be set up to use the donut style engine mounts, a photo would help. HRP

OahuEli and 41rodderz like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Pics and you need the engine block mounts that corresponds to frame mounts.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Those are not correct for CE . HRP is correct , they use donut insulators , with a plate bolted to the block at the OEM engine mount bosses . I’ll get an image tomorrow , my back is screaming at a pain level 12 ! Many years of manual labor and hard tail riding have , really effected my life .

57Custom300 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

You gotta leave that hard tail at the bar where you found it. ; )

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

If these don’t help , let me know , I’ll get some more . These are a bit old , but you can see the mounts . C14CD21D-E39D-46C1-952F-6488E6F0DD22.png 3F65C9CA-6345-4E7F-BC23-0E0259941E61.png 89076C8C-5FF9-4605-B0C9-9716EF9FF14D.png

WilliD, 2Blue2, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I left a few , but you know , weakness will over take you .

9. Having ridden ridged frame Harleys from South Carolina to Dayton Beach several times when I was younger my back is paying for it now that I'm a old fart. HRP

10. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I recently installed an 87 SBF . finding the appropriate flex plate ( 50.oz. ) to mate the C4 is important, also the Distributor gear needs to be changed to Steel instead of Cast Iron.

11. fordor41

fordor41

That's exactly how I installed a SBF /C-4 in our '41. I fab'd the frame mounts and engine plates almost exactly like shown in your pic.

12. While they discontinued the earlier mounts, Butch's Cool Stuff has a kit for the 52-54 Ford that you could use or get an idea of how to fab your plates. The biscuit style mounts are available from several places.

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i mount the SBFs from the threaded holes on the front of the heads onto the flathead mounts...
    i find the stock sbf frame mounts can be in the way...
    DSCN8230.JPG DSCN8227 - Copy.JPG DSCN8228.JPG DSCN8229 - Copy.JPG

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    WilliD, GordonC, Texas Webb and 5 others like this.
  14. Ken Pecora

Ken Pecora

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

16. Ken Pecora

Ken Pecora

The 5.0L I want to use in my '40 has the funky front sump cast aluminium oil pan. I know I need a rear sump pan. Also will need to change the oil pump pickup. Would any rear sump pan for a 302 work or do I need something specific to this swap? Thanks for sharing your experience.

17. That will depend on if your block is drilled for a dipstick or not. If your motor was originally a front sump, it won't be drilled and you'll need a pan that has the dipstick built-in. Both Ford and the aftermarket sell them I believe. If it is drilled, then most any later-model rear sump pan will work. There are slight variations between truck and car versions, you'll have to determine which will be best for you.

Post #7 shows where the dipstick will be located if the block is drilled.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

Do the timing covers swap that use a dip stick in them?

19. Yep, they do so that's not always an indicator of which block you have. You can convert a rear sump to front sump easily with the right front cover, oil pan and pickup. Front to rear can be more complicated....

Budget36 likes this.
  20. Mimilan

Mimilan

Yes! A swap is also needed if you want a mechanical Fuel Pump on a 5.0 exploder engine

Budget36 likes this.
  21. customline joe

customline joe

In the 1970's after reading an article in Rod and Custom I contacted Frank O to get more details. I purchased the motor mounts that bolted to the heads, used a bronco pan and oil pump pickup tube, recessed the firewall . I used a 3 speed transmission and a 9" rear end with springs from a 1957 ford I believe. I believe the motor mounts where purchased from J.C. Whitney or another mag. The swap was not difficult making up the z bar clutch linkage required a few trips back to work at night to get the help of welder that work at night. I would mark , he would tack ,remeasure until it worked great. The engine I took out was a 303 cu in Olds that a friend helped me put in the car at 15 years old with original ford transmission and drive train with the help of an adapter purchased from J.C. Whitney. I am now getting ready to install a 351 cu in. Cleveland engine with a T5 transmission in my coupe at the age of 82.
    Joe

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I looked at that type mount when I put my 302 in but since I'm running factory accessory brackets with ac, ps, and alt I couldn't figure a way to make them work. I also didn't like the idea of all that weight being put on the heads and it being suspended on each end of the unit. I built a new cross member and put my mounts on the side location using pickup mounts.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  23. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Don't know your C build but take it easy on that T-5 brother.

Another Joe

chryslerfan55 and Crazy Steve like this.
  24. BJR

BJR

It's more traditional to use a SBC.:D

indyjps, joel and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Looks as if sloppy jalopies has a few weepy oil issues much as do I, check all arround the timing,cover,oil pan & intake for leaks , not to forget the rear main. not certain if the 260-289-302's are notorious oil weepers or not, it appears mine was hastily put together at some point much easier to check it prior to poking it in the chassis, just a word of caution !

26. Ken Pecora

Ken Pecora

This project was supposedly set up to mount a ford 302 in a '40 using Chassis Engineering hardware. Do the frame mounts in the picture look right? How would I find the engine mounts needed to match these frame mounts? Help!!

Attached Files:

27. They could be. You're looking for a '68-70s intermediate/big car style mount. These mounts are pretty much all the same except for how high they mount the motor, but there isn't a big variation, more like about a half inch from low to high.

I personally don't care for this design (and the GM mounts are very similar) as the factory frame mount had a angled pad that the mount set on that actually took the weight and prevented the mount from 'twisting' on the bolt.

28. RmK57

RmK57

It's much more traditional to keep the flathead.:D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    Randall and joel like this.
  29. I used a 1995 ford E150 Van pan and pickup tube. It also a 6qt pan.