Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Buick Sedanette Mild Custom Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by rockable, Mar 16, 2019.

1. 123pugsy

123pugsy

Damn...........:mad:

rockable likes this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Different. First time, it was #2 intake. This time, it was #1 intake. Both lifters on either side looked great on the first one. I've not pulled #2 yet.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

4. SS327

SS327

Well it’s not a bad block. That sucks! This shit that is going on with cams is totally out of control. It feels like the cam companies don’t care either. They get to sell more cams and lifters. I have to wonder if they aren’t doing this on purpose to sell more expensive roller conversion cams. Let’s face it, why sell someone a cam and lifters when you can sell someone a cam, roller lifters, pushrods and new valve springs. And at a higher margin too.

Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. BJR

BJR

I hope you are running the engine in on a stand, and not going through all the work putting the engine in the car each time.

6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im doing this with the engine in the car, Brian. ☹️

JalopyJimbo, Thor1 and BJR like this.
  7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, well, well. As the NFL refs say, "Upon further review....." it appears lifters are at fault.

The lifter on the bad lobe on cam #1 had the check valve installed incorrectly.

When I removed the lifters for cam #2, they all looked good. No wear. I then noticed that #1 intake and #2 intake were dead. They had no springs in them!

So, it appears I can just replace lifters and put my intake back on. Of course, I have to lube everything up and go through break in again.....once I source another set of good lifters. I have 29 good ones but dont want to reuse them with this cam. Correct?

LAROKE, Thor1, BJR and 3 others like this.
  8. SS327

SS327

Wow, quality control at its finest. Sorry for your bad luck. But it’s still not right.

rockable likes this.
  9. BJR

BJR

That's a real bummer having to do that twice working over freshly painted fenders. I feel your pain. Just think about how much fun it will be to finally drive your 49. Good luck, Brian

Thor1 and rockable like this.
  10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am encouraged that my engine is going to live with the replacement lifters on cam #2. Unfortunately, my new power steering pump is bad and going to have to be replaced. I am replacing the front brake rotors in order to get rid of a high speed vibration. My fuel tank sending unit is not working properly. Also, I am trying to eliminate leaks in my A/C. The debugging list goes on. It seems to be impossible to get quality parts on the first attempt. I drove the car about 150 miles this past weekend. Stay tuned.

11. Drove the car! That is great, it has been a trying mission to get there. Feel for you buy glad you have been able to see the road pass by. What's up with the ps pump?

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PS pump quits when it gets hot. It's slipping oil as the oil gets thinner. Had to be shitty manufacturing, probably too much side clearance on the rotor. I did everything right. I sold hydraulic equipment for 38 years. I know a little about how vane pumps work. Tuff Stuff is sending me a new one at no charge.and

13. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I just read the other day on another classic car web site ( I think the AMC/ AMX ) website that there are some brands / - some known name brands cam and lifters are mfg'd coming from China that are not heat treated correctly / heat treated and those companies are scrambling with QC issues. ( I would imagine refunds as well).

Let me go back and find it ( tonight) and I'll post the info.

I would have any new cam and lifters checked before I install in anything now.
    It never use to be that way but unfortunately it is now.

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was not heat treating. This was improper assembly, both times..

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Off the top of my head, a faulty power steering pump is something I never would have anticipated. At least the manufacturer is sending me a new one. In addition, my new tires are "unbalanceable". We will be talking to them tomorrow. The beat goes on.

16. BJR

BJR

Do you have a black cloud following you around? A lesser man may have given up and sold it by now. At least you got to drive it. Once it is all straightened out all these problems will be just a distant memory.

17. @rockable IMHO, now is NOT the time to buy a lottery ticket......

Thor1 and BJR like this.
  18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:D:rolleyes:

BJR likes this.
  19. Times like these, are when I have to correct my wife when telling friends and family.."he just loves working in cars"..at times not so much.
    Hopefully once sorted, you'll have a chance to enjoy your car.

Thor1, BJR and rockable like this.
  20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Au contraire, now is the time to buy a lottery ticket in the hope of surviving the out of control inflation!

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  21. EBW

EBW

Curious if you have Cokers. Had them on my 52 Buick and switched to Diamond Back due to the Unbalanceable way. Expensive lesson I had to learn.

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes but I also have them on 2 other cars. We are trying to work it out with them.

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sorry to hear of your engine problems, and the other stuff as wel...we all go thru it. IF you read the saga of my '55 Cadillac build, you'll remember toward the end of the first drive of 90 miles on the highway at 70 mph, my brand NEW Cadillac 500 ci engine spun a bearing...!!! It was back to the garage for me too...I was so mad at the car, it sat in the dark garage for two months before I decided to pull the engine and send it back to the builder...Debugging a new car is a whole new experience for any builder...you'll eventually get it on the road...good luck...!!

R-

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will, Roger. This ain't my first rodeo but it sure seems like my most aggravating. o_O

brEad, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, latest update is that the 2nd set of Coker Tires were no better than the first. After trying balance beads and Road Force Balancing, we gave up and ordered Diamondback tires made on a BFG TA Radial tire. The bad news is their lead time is 2 weeks WITH expedited service charges. I moved the car to the back of the shop. I will get the Plymouth ready to go to Columbus. Perhaps I will get to drive the Buick to Louisville.

The replacement power steering pump seems to be ok. The list is getting shorter but the wait is killing me.

26. EBW

EBW

This was the same issue I had with Coker and then DB. But I had to wait 4.5 months for my Diamondbacks. I will say this, they are worth the wait with zero issues.

40StudeDude and rockable like this.
  27. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There has been so much discussion of problems with Coker's here on HAMB that I ordered Diamondbacks a year or two ago. I didn't have a wait problem and they seem to ride good on the limited drive time I have done so far. I think you will find the switch worth while.

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I think the problem with Cokers is that they are mnufactured out of this country, there is no 'quality control' on them when they are made. I had a set of Cokers on my '55 Caddy that a friend gave me--they lasted three weeks simply because they leaked under the whitewall. I've run DB's for well over 15 years now (I'm on my second set on the '55) - I put the old ones on my '48 Caddy now and STILL NEVER have problems with them...!!! Took the Cad to Salina last year with them on it...!!!

R-
    IMG_1116.JPG

29. Not to get us off track, but I was checking out your 48 at Salina and didn’t even realize it was yours! Very cool car! :cool: I hadn’t been to Salina in 10 years and have pics of your 55 somewhere from that one.

jim snow and Thor1 like this.
  30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to know, Roger. Thanks. Have you posted a build thread or any updates on the '48?

jim snow likes this.