Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs whitewalls so much $$$$

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRON, Jun 9, 2022.

1. IRON

IRON
    from Florida

why are wide white walls so high priced ? would look so nice on our 50 merc.

2. more like all reproduction vintage tires. about 1500.00 all in if you are lucky, some tires you just can't even get.

Materials and availability and companies wanting to obviously make more money all passed the saving onto us, just part of what it is to have a car that should special tires.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Why is the sky blue?

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Have you priced regular tires lately?

Truckdoctor Andy and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. fuzzface

fuzzface

Price anything lately?

Almost everything is up
    shipping is up
    supply and demand

if we ever get the supply back in order and get the demand down, then the prices will/might fall.

LOST ANGEL and egads like this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

They are priced that high because people will pay that high, why give them away?

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Last fall I went to a Big O Tire store near me, and bought some 10" wide BF Goodrich TA radials. Bout a $150 apiece. Needed them to replace the rear "rollers" on a project because they were dry rotted and one actually blew out just sitting there. Decided to go ahead and get the tires I was going to use.
    A few months ago I decided to go ahead and get the much smaller and narrower (205/15) front tires. The price had gone up so much that they wanted more for the front tires than I gave for the rears. Nearly $200 each.
    Thanks .......but No Thanks !

Found some other tires that were suitable for the truck and paid about $125 ea. I'm happy with them.

Thank God for the high gasoline prices..........now I won't be wearing these tires out anytime soon! :p

8. The problem is the new tires seem to dry rot crack or become brittle/hard in 5-6 years whether they see any miles or not. Of late, I've not been able to wear a set of tires out...more burn outs are required I guess.

9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Just curious......how much is gas in Canada right now?

10. @ekimneirbo In Vancouver, we have the highest prices in North America. Yesterday, it was $2.33/litre (which is $8.82/US gal.). It's the price to play in the current world. We could have it worse...think Ukraine.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How exactly does the posi Trac in a Plymouth work?

Bugguts and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

$206.6/litre here in Southern Ontario Canada today. The only good thing is a tank lasts me about 3 weeks these days but high gas prices still factor into everything else we buy.

abe lugo likes this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Because that's a "name" that has been repeated over and over and never gets questioned any longer.

14. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

:eek::eek::eek: That’s like, $785/gallon!!!

I think you misplaced the decimal. :D

firstinsteele likes this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's always Pot-a-walls to consider.
    I 36b.jpg pan7x.jpg run them on my Cabriolet, and ran them for 5+ years on my old Panel Deliv.

chevyfordman and '28phonebooth like this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as the saying goes "nothing cheap anymore, except me"

17. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Payed 1400.00 bucks for my M&H rear tires and Firestone fronts for my FAIRLANE . Got sick and tired of waiting for Coker and ordered some wheel Smith chrome OE wheels got them today after ordering the first set a year ago they were another 1500 bucks. I guess we must pay to play it will only get worse.

18. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

But they look like a million bucks if you can get them
    20220415_172910[7558].jpg

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Or look/ask around for a "tire cutter" that can *properly* do the whitewall-add-on. They use a machine to smooth the sidewall, & liquid rubber to roll-on the ww, in whatever width you want. Can even do colors. No, I don't do it, nor know anyone anymore.
    Marcus...

abe lugo likes this.
  20. If you know a place please post, there was a outfit called Cali Whitewall, but I I dont think anyone here has tried them. Diamond back is basically what your are saying, at least they use known good brand new tires.

I'm not vouching for this but it one I know of. By the time your done, you might have breaking even on just getting the tires you really want. Plus shipping and tax. They are in Sacramento, CA.
    https://callitw.com/

One idea for 80% of the HAMB is skip a few swapmeets, and sell a few projects, and maybe, just maybe you will have scraped enough to buy the tires.

21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I found my Firestone 15 x 7.10 on ebay .All for for $840.00 sipped to the door.

abe lugo likes this.
  22. So has anyone tried making their own W/W's using Flexi Dip white rubber spray coating? I think Flex Seal makes a similar product as well.

23. to quote Joe Dirts dad,,,,,”it just does “,,,,,LoL .

210superair and Bandit Billy like this.
  24. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

So it’s not a good thing that one company owns/controls nearly all the collector car tire business?

Just Gary likes this.
  25. I paid almost $200 for a whitewall on the front of my Harley. The size would be equivalent to a 5.00x16.

26. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Good catch, I should have just omitted the dollar sign then it would have mimicked the gas station posted prices on their signs (206.6). They don't use any decimal points. Translation being 2 dollars and 6.6 cents. Never even thought that would seem weird to those below the border. We are just used to it I guess. The unit price is per litre.

Here's the app I check when its time to fill up locally.
    https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/ontario/windsor

27. gene-koning

gene-koning

Now, what was that traditional statement form years ago?

OH, yea!
    "If you want to play, you got to pay."

According to my old racing buddy, "You have the money to buy whatever you really want, you just have to decide what you want the most."

Shelter? Food? Wide whitewall tires? Gas? I'd have a lot more money for hot rod stuff if I quit doing the first two things....

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  28. Sure. But I'm thinking that you got white walls on BOTH sides of the tire.
    :rolleyes:

29. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

Bought 8/20 15 blackwall firestones 7 years ago for $193.00, today $277.00

30. There are like 4 companies. Actually two of them are the same.

for the motorcycle guy. You only have to buy two. Some of us will buy the 5th one as a spare.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.