Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Dare to be different, then sit back and watch peoples faces, love it. :cool:

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and Outback like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Joey you just nailed it man.

I recently had a conversation about how there is TONS of flex pipe headers and exhaust in early photos but you rarely see it today. I think it works just perfect in this situation.

the quirky ending of long tips via drillium mounting bracket feels both detailed and light hearted at the same time. It’s the exact same vibe I get when I pick up an old nylint hot rod toy with tiny hot rod stickers that have been put on backwards by a 7 year old 40 years ago.

A little nod to the bikes is in there as well.

I think that if you get it right some one could see your car in the lot and with out having seen it before know it’s yours. This one does it in spades. That’s Joey’s roadster. 100%

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh, and get that video on you tube and share it here if you can get the music to fly ;)

J.Ukrop, Outback and Six Ball like this.
  4. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love flex pipes… what a sweet look.

J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

got to be 10% faster with those pipes

J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

B565CD90-C5B9-40B5-9D8A-9DEBDD244AF2.jpeg
    I almost purchased nearly exact style trumpets for my rigid but settled on these I reshaped. It also has flex pipe up at the heads before getting to the ripple sections. I too have been exaggerating a few fab’d parts that make it look more period as apposed to how everything is perfect nowadays. Love the copper and springs!

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'm not real fond of those pipes. People made fun of my flex pipe fixes in the 60s but at least I won't get snow in the exhaust when you leave it here! :cool:

J.Ukrop, Outback, Tim and 2 others like this.
  8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beware of radical hoodlums, that are tempted to jam a potato in each pipe!
    Now, you are going to have to remember to check the exhaust tips before starting the engine, and be mindful which way the rear of the car is aimed and what's it's aimed at!
    Cheshire grin!

The 39 guy, J.Ukrop and Outback like this.
  9. You stop into the Peso for a beer ? Now you're in my hood. Nice shot of your car in front of a local institution !!!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  10. Needs flame throwers

11. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Be careful, this is one of the best threads on here.
    Let's not get it derailed.
    Just sayin'

Outback and J.Ukrop like this.
  12. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

He get's it, don't worry!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A lot of people forget that these cars are supposed to be fun!

Thank you, Tim! You totally get it. I love incorporating similar elements on all my projects. The further this one comes along, the more it reminds me of my Triumph (from a style standpoint.)

I'll see what I can do!

Thanks Trevor! I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. It's funny that there are pretty much no straight segments in either pipe, which would have been pretty difficult to do with standard muffler tubing.

No joke it actually is faster than before—especially off the line.

Thank you! Those are great pipes. I bet they look right at home on your bike.

Hahah it'll help it be a year-round machine in all weather conditions.

Hahahah my original plan was to angle them up way more, which could be hazardous.

Tim and Six Ball like this.
  14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I wish! It was a little before 8 a.m., but I'll give you a shout next time I'm there. It looked like a great spot!

Hahaha you got that right. Maybe that's just the backfire?

Thanks Tony! More updates coming soon.

Nobey, Tim, Outback and 2 others like this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sidebar 100.00: On the Road Again

“Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” —Jack Kerouac, On the Road

I drive this car a lot, but I was still a little bit nervous to take it on its first trip to Petaluma. I spent my nights working on that exhaust system and checking nuts, bolts and fluids, as well as greasing zerks. By the time Saturday morning rolled around, I knew I was as ready as I was going to be. I planned a very specific route and went over it time and time again on Google Maps. When my alarm went off at 5:30 a.m., I hopped out of bed, threw on my clothes and walked down to the garage. Just after six, the car was warm and I rolled down the Terrace into the world. Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 12.16.39 AM.png
    The first leg of the journey brought me across the Golden Gate Bridge. There's no telling when this car last went across it, but I have a feeling it's been well over half a century. This was a first for me. Heavy fog and construction meant lower speeds, but my heart was still racing as I clipped along in 3rd gear.
    IMG_4010.jpg
    My next stop was at the Silver Peso in Larkspur to make sure everything was in order, which it was. Like I mentioned earlier, I'll be back another time for a beverage. According to Marin Magazine, the building was originally constructed in 1905 and served as a blacksmith shop prior to becoming the Peso in the 1940s.
    IMG_4018-1.jpg
    A little while later, I pulled into Fairfax and had to get a shot of the roadster in front of the Fairfax Theatre (built in 1950). I've taken this route on my motorcycles in the past, but it's especially fun to navigate those same winding roads in this car.
    IMG_4022.jpg
    Backroad bliss.
    Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 3.38.38 PM.png

16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Around eight o'clock, I made my familiar turn off of Petaluma Boulevard South towards David's shop. He had his roadster parked out front, all cleaned up and ready for the day's festivities. So, what were we up to? A few weeks prior, David mentioned that he was going to participate in a charity car show at the local high school. During one of our phone conversations, we hatched the plan to have both of our roadsters in the show. I've been waiting to see these two cars together for a long, long time, and I knew we were in for a big day.
    IMG_4028.jpg
    1940s vs. 1950s style. I like them both!
    IMG_4026.jpg
    After a quick trip to the post office, me, David and his longtime friend Jerry made our way over to the high school. When we were there, David wanted to try my car out for size. He said climbing behind the wheel is a completely different experience than in his roadster.
    IMG_4035.jpg
    David and Jerry. IMG_4038.jpg
    Folks at the show seemed to appreciate our cars, and we enjoyed answering questions about the ins and outs of these early style machines. Here are some more shots from the show and from Petaluma High School's impressive shop.
    IMG_4041.jpg
    Very nice W-motor-powered '34.
    IMG_4039.jpg
    I'd love to road trip in this little falcon wagon.
    IMG_4050.jpg
    Rose the snake looking right at home with my '35 Ford wires!
    IMG_4054.jpg

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_4045.jpg
    I didn't take many good photos inside the shop, but I was a big fan of their tool room.

The show lasted most of the day. As much fun as it was to look at the cars and meet people, the highlight was walking around Petaluma and catching up with David. For those of you know the area, we grabbed lunch from Ray's Deli after the show. I had a Ray's Hot Chicken and it was delicious.
    IMG_4058.jpg
    Before leaving town, I asked David if we could get a few more shots of the cars together. This one is my favorite. It shows how much hot rodding progressed from 1942-1952. It's not often you can get two of the same year early Fords next to each other for a side-by-side comparison.
    IMG_4059.jpg
    Unique mixtures of show and go.
    IMG_4060.jpg
    To wind it all down, I asked David if he wanted to ride in my car. "Of course!" he said. With that, he hopped in the passenger seat and I took him for a quick rip around the parking lot and down a few side streets. "Definitely feels like a hot rod!" he said.

That was huge for me. Actually, the whole day was. IMG_4087.jpg
    After we said our goodbyes, I filled the tank and topped off the oil. I've always liked this mid-century car wash over by the shop.
    IMG_4093.jpg
    Just like the ride there, the trip home went perfectly. I had to take it slow on the massive hill before the Golden Gate Bridge, but overall the car did exactly what I wanted it to. It wasn't until a few days later that I realized I didn't even have to adjust or fix anything over the course of the 100+ mile trip. I didn't use any tools. Instead, I just enjoyed the drive.

18. Reddog sawmill

Reddog sawmill

Rose the Brazilian rainbow boa

Nobey and J.Ukrop like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic man!

20. Congratulations Joey on a milestone trip!! All of your hard work was validated after a long trip there and back with no issues. Life if good!!

21. Nobey

Nobey

Well now that was a COOL trip, thanks for the ride along Joey, it made my morning......

J.Ukrop likes this.
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Cool trip! From my experience its suckering you into a longer trip further from help/ :eek:

J.Ukrop, Nobey and WalkerMD like this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

Like the tailpipes on the yellow roadster!

J.Ukrop and Nobey like this.
  24. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Driving a car in SF with mechanical brakes take guts! I used to live in Benicia and worked often in SF. The pic of the bridge crossing brings back memories.

warbird1, J.Ukrop and Nobey like this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sometimes I miss the fog but not enough to move back to Oakland. :rolleyes:

Budget36, J.Ukrop and Nobey like this.
  26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That's exactly!

Thanks Tim! It was a perfect Saturday, that's for sure.

Thanks Brian! It's getting me fired up to really hit the road in Version 2.0.

Thanks for coming along!

Thank you! I couldn't agree more. I'm already working on a plan to take things even further.

Right? They're perfect and have an amazing sound to them.

They're definitely of another era. The car stops pretty well, but I think the '40 Ford juice brakes are going to be a nice upgrade.

Hahaha but you can always come visit!

Nobey, Six Ball and Tim like this.
  27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

We're pretty much caught up on all the updates on Version 1.5 and 2.0 of the roadster. As you read this, I'm out on a two-week trip to the Midwest. I spent last week in Chicago to see two of my best friends get married. The venue? Frank Lloyd Wright's Emil Bach House, which was built in 1915. IMG_4244.JPG
    I still can't believe it, but I got to stay in the house on Friday and Saturday nights. Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
    IMG_4247.JPG
    I could definitely get used to working at this desk. Note the computer desktop background. IMG_4257.JPG
    From there, I rented a car and weaved my way to Madison, Wisconsin, on backroads. I'm planning my route from my future cross-country trip in Version 2.0.
    IMG_4280.JPG
    The Cheese Box—a roadside classic in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.
    IMG_4285.jpg
    It was hot out, and I went for a fresh slice of chilled key lime pie. Delicious!
    IMG_4298.JPG
    Great to see neon glowing in the daytime.
    IMG_4306.JPG

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic

J.Ukrop likes this.
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Friends, architecture, food, neon, hot rods? Throw in some guns. beer & rockin' roll you've got us covered!:cool:

Just make sure you have a trunk full of fog if I have to come rescue you on gone wrong road trip. I'll cover from the end of the coaster run off this side of the Sierras to Runamucca.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    J.Ukrop, Tim, Outback and 1 other person like this.