Register now to get rid of these ads!

47-54 chevy AD truck spindle question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tito, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

Putting a drop-axle on my truck. (53 1/2 ton) I forgot to mark which spindle was which during disassembly, and was wondering, are they interchangeable? They look completely alike. My stock spindles have very little wear, and are getting new kingpins, axle, disc brakes, etc, (so uneven wear is not an issue as long as there is no right/left) Kinda dumb question, but important and I have looked in all my books and can't find the answer.
    Also, anybody have a diagram of how the kingpin fits? Which washers/spacers/shims/shafts, etc, go in what order?

Thanks so much,
    Tito

2. rsg2506

rsg2506

Here's a diagram that should help. It's from an older shop manual but you should get the idea:

http://chevy.tocmp.com/1942shop/42csm0313.htm

I put a 4 inch dropped axle in my 48 1/2 ton last year and had to do the same thing. As long as you have the spindles right side up, I "think" you will be OK. Click NEXT at the bottom of the page and it will show more diagrams of what the axle will look like.

I'm not sure what size dropped axle you are running but I had to heat and bend the steering arms down so the tierod would not intefere with the leaf springs.

-Rich

3. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

Thanks. It's a 4" drop from CPP. I already had to get the ball studs pressed out of the steering arms to fit the new-style tie rod ends. When I get everything all lined up, we'll see how much interference I have.
    Tito