Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sandblast Cabinet..........upgrading it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, May 31, 2022.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Thinking about going to a foot operated pedal instead of the typical gun/trigger set-up. I have aquired an additional cabinet thats decent but needs the air control replaced. Concurrently, I already have a large industrial cabinet that had the gun/trigger set-up. Thought that while I'm looking for some new stuff for the other cabinet, I might upgrade the big-un. Problem is that most of the stuff I have found is pretty chincy or similar to what I already have.
    So my question is: What are the other Hamb sandblasters using / where did they get it. Pictures Please
    Would like to find a good foot control for the air and a decent gun to work with it.:)

2. Budget36

Budget36

I used a brake pedal and valve setup off an old Peterbuilt we had out back, give a “flow control”. I originally Had a foot valve that was on/off, sometimes I didn’t want full pressure.

rusty valley, ekimneirbo and hotrodA like this.
  3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I upgraded my HF blast cabinet to a TP tools blast gun and pickup, made a big improvement. They also have a foot control www.tptools.com

ekimneirbo and rockable like this.
  4. Oilguy

Oilguy

Same as 31A; the TP gun is excellent. I would assume the foot control is also.

ekimneirbo and rockable like this.

5. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

Bought the TP kit. Bent up some 14 gauge and made this. Use it all the time.

Attached Files:

ekimneirbo likes this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I got a trigger gun and foot control from snap on. I just used a hose clamp to hold the trigger on and I can get replacement tip from the snap on guy when needed.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  7. Marcia

Marcia

I bought the big Tp cabinet a few years ago. I love the foot pedal over the trigger. Fast service too. I order all my supplies from them. IMG_20220531_173204939.jpg

Tman, Truckdoctor Andy and ekimneirbo like this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got tired of the trigger gun on my Barrel Blaster so I just upgraded to a foot petal and gun from them. Used it a couple of times already and I'm happy with it. Of course its not nearly as fancy as the Tip cabinet that @Marcia posted but for the amount I use the cabinet it works fine for me.

ekimneirbo and Marcia like this.
  9. Same here.

ekimneirbo and Marcia like this.
  10. Marcia

Marcia

It was a scratch and dent sale. It helps when I'm doing the Model T wheels.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Davis (no longer in business that I can find) sand blast cabinet that I had in the high school shop where I taught had a foot pedal and once you use one you will really like it.
    On the gun you need radially available consumable pieces as the pieces do wear out.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get emails from them about their scratch and dent sales but shipping to SoCal is killer.

13. Marcia

Marcia

Ouch!
    I picked it up coming home from Detroit Autorama.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  14. steve hackel

steve hackel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8K9SLZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A3HMB6GLG0WJ17&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8K9SLZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A3HMB6GLG0WJ17&psc=1

here are 2 different examples from Amazon, and I have 3 of the second style posted ;
    one in each of my cabinets and also used on a hand held planishing hammer. They all
    work extremely well, are much cheaper than the typical Eastwood or TP Tool versions,
    can be adapted to any existing cabinet / gun combination - and you can buy an extended
    exchange guarantee for next to nothing. Check the Amazon site for everything you can
    possibly think of before spending $$$. I will offer this one thing up for your consideration, and that is - I have been using the TP-Tools foot pedal operated guns for probably 35 years and they offer the best service for the least amount up front. I have also figured out how to get at least 5 times the extended life out of a gun/nozzle head by using a nylon bushing behind the ceramic nozzle to
    almost eliminate the wear that causes failure. Any other questions, just ask. regards, Steve

ekimneirbo and saltflats like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

Steve, can you give us a source and part number of that handy bushing?

16. I’m also a fan of the TP Tools set up. We have their model 970 cabinet with the foot pedal set up and it works like a charm. Their products are the best I’ve found. Very quick shipping and the people who work there are super nice. I’ve used our cabinet for everything from Farmalls to Harleys and it always works great.

17. steve hackel

steve hackel

I will need to go through my old McMaster Carr orders and find it. I measured the I.D.
    of the guns nozzle opening and the depth ( I used 1/2" length, but 3/8" works too)
    and pressed it into the body. There was just enough throat left for the Allen screw to
    hold the ceramic nozzle in place. I run a drill up through the media pick up tube end
    to open up the bushing and allow media to be drawn up into the gun. Over time,
    repeated use will wear a pathway into the sides of the guns head and then they
    become erratic in their cleaning ability - at that point we usually replace them.
    The nylon bushings will extend the life of a worn head 4 or 5 times and a new one
    upwards of 10 times, and currently at $33 each this becomes a huge savings.
    The other benefit of installing the nylon bushings is the ceramic nozzles do not wear
    out as fast . "Light duty dry running sleeve bearing" I believe their number is 6389k115
    and they are $.66 each; I buy 10 at a time and will do all of my blasting heads at one
    time so they are ready for a quick and easy change.

alchemy, Tman, ekimneirbo and 2 others like this.
  18. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

This sounds like the kind of info I was looking for. I'm going to order a couple of the foot pedals, but not sure if the one you have posted is the one you are suggesting. You mentioned that that you bought the second one, but both listings appear to be the same.

Also, any possibility of a picture of your gun and the bushing set up. Like you, I'm tired of buying guns. Thought about one of the more expensive guns with the carbide tips, but like anything I wonder how long they last. I use extra fine Black Diamond coal slag in my big blaster cabinet. Have another decent size cabinet I picked up and it needs a gun and pedal. Probably use it for glass beads or something to blast aluminum parts with.

Thanks for the info you provided.;)

19. indyjps

indyjps

Steve, any additional info the guns and nozzles you use.

This thread is perfect timing, my dad has a cabinet, bringing to my shop to use the big compressor.
    It needs to be upgraded, if I can copy a known/ good set up, I'd appreciate it.
    I have been looking at TP site.

Marcia likes this.
  20. I am with Marcia . I had started with TP smaller version cabinet 30 years ago. I have graduated up thru several larger sizes and now I am going to buy their largest unit. Foot controlled air supply is the only way to go.
    Vic

Marcia likes this.
  21. steve hackel

steve hackel

Baomain Pneumatic Foot Pedal Valve FV-320 Momentary 3 Way 2 Position 1/4"PT Threaded Rubber Nonslip Pressure Control

I copied this from my saved section on Amazon and this is the
    pedal assembly that I bought the last 2 times for myself and
    another for a friend. They are inexpensive, easy to adapt to
    any cabinet or hose configuration, and are cheap enough to
    replace versus the Eastwood style or other commercial but
    expensive assemblies. $16.50 is a great value !

ekimneirbo and Tman like this.
  22. steve hackel

steve hackel

I decided to check the condition of the gun in my big cabinet after doing some
    serious blasting of some very rusty backing plates. The 3 pictures show the
    before, during and after the installation of a new nylon bushing. This had to
    be the 5th or 6th time for this particular head.

Attached Files:

saltflats likes this.
  23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Thanks Steve.