Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Manifold Gaskets on FE keep blowing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fabulous50's, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Built my very mild 352, srock iron heads and manifolds last winter. Have about 1,000 miles on it. The LH manifold gasket blew at about 300 miles. And the RH blew last week at 1,000 miles.

I checked the manifold and the exhaust ports on the heads both are within 0.001" on all 4 mating surfaces.

These are FelPro gaskets, not impressed. The head side without the metal blows out. I used new grade 8 hardware when I build the engine. When I tore it down it was metal to metal, no gasket, original factory...no leaks. Removed the manifolds (and broke a bunch of bolts) to send the heads to the machinist for hardened seats to be installed. 20220602_191850.jpg

Anyone have some advice, or a better gasket? I don't want to just keep throwing gaskets at it. Not the easiest job.

2. squirrel

squirrel

might try it without gaskets....Chevy never installed gaskets, but all the FelPro overhaul kits include them. But the folks who designed the engines knew that gaskets aren't needed, and they reduce heat transfer from the manifolds to the heads, resulting in overheated manifolds. I'm not up on Fords enough to remember if they used gaskets as original equipment, or not.

just make sure to use lock tabs to keep the bolts from loosening.

427 sleeper and Fabulous50's like this.
  3. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Factory had no Gaskets. And didn't leak.

427 sleeper, deadbeat and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

there you go

427 sleeper and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every time I tuned my Olds I had to change gaskets, it ate them just to be ornery. I put Remflex gaskets on it a few years back and have not had to mess with them again.

fauj, Jeff Norwell and Fabulous50's like this.
  6. 49Olds

49Olds

My FE had washers with ears that locked the bolts in place. Without them I would have to tighten them periodically.

ClayMart likes this.
  7. The early FE motors used no gaskets, the later ones switched to a shim steel gasket. I've never seen that gasket for sale. Those manifolds for whatever reason are prone to warping and can be notoriously hard to seal sometimes. I've had very good luck with the typical gaskets but I lightly coat around the ports on both sides of it with Permatex Hi-temp copper silicon sealer and then carefully torque the bolts from the inner ones out like you would do for a head gasket so that you pull the manifold down evenly. I'll usually do this in two steps. I have yet to have a leak doing this.

A old Ford mechanic told me the trick to no gaskets is you need a freshly-machined surface on both sides. Over time and heating cycles, those surfaces 'wear in' to each other and once disturbed won't mate up properly. A light pass to clean up the head side is easy, the manifold not so much so few people do it.

The other trick to help prevent broken bolts in the future is to dip the threads on each bolt in Pepto-Bismol before installing. The aluminum magnesium silicate in it acts as an anti-seize after the rest boils out.

427 sleeper, deadbeat, egads and 5 others like this.
  8. F-head

F-head

I had a 390 thst blew tons of gaskets
    Finally got some copper gaskets and they worked great

fauj and Fabulous50's like this.
  9. sdluck

sdluck

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve read a little red RTV is good.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. 327Eric

327Eric

I use high heat rtv, no gaskets . Just enough to color the port surface.

tiredford and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Just for shits and giggles check how flat the mating surface is, I’d bet a trip to the machine shop is needed…

fauj, Boneyard51, egads and 1 other person like this.
  13. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Don't use exhaust gaskets in my super charged 8BA 14years now, never has leaked!

Boneyard51 and Fabulous50's like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Toss the gaskets.

Use a thin coat of this: https://www.permatex.com/products/g...-ultra-red-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-3-35-oz/

Allow it to cure for 24-hours after torqueing.

fauj and Fabulous50's like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, double check your ignition timing, both at idle, and up the advance curve.

Make sure that you are getting all of the advance that you are supposed to.

Late timing sends still burning mixture out of the ports and into the manifolds.

I have seen headers glowing orange when the owner had the timing set wrong. That will give gaskets a rough go.

16. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Welcome to FE's

I made gaskets out of 1mm aluminium, a smear of HT RTV on both sides and torqued the bolts upto 25lbft, would get 2 years out of these.

My feeling is the head exhaust surfaces get pretty hot and the faces warp slightlty.

fauj, deadbeat and Fabulous50's like this.
  17. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

18. squirrel

squirrel

leave the gasket out....seriously....

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes.... leave the gasket off and use Copper gasket maker....

168.jpg

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have used a NAPA exhaust sealer on the FE with good sucess. Just use it to coat the gasket. Now for the bad part Napa sells 2 a #35958 and 35959 one is white and one is black you want the white stuff . If you are losing gaskets that fast is to remove the head and manifold and have them surfaced . It sounds like the gasket fail is in the same place every time.

22. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

I had several FE motors over the years, latest was a daily driver 63 with a 352, leaking exhaust till I got rid or it, used gaskets, no gaskets, grade 8 bolts with Lock washers, Locking tabs, had exhaust surfaced, heads surfaced, was a continual job to tighten bolts, hard to reach the two middle bottom bolts on drivers side. Had one in the 60,s for years with no problem. was told to use studs. Can't remove headers from heads with out picking the motor up for room for headers to clear studs. I never fixed leakers just kept tightening them.

Fabulous50's likes this.
  23. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have a little experience with FE's, and have never seen stock manifolds that appeared to be warped- cracked yes. They typically came with no gaskets, and if the heads and manifolds are both cut flat, they will seal quite well with no crutches. Headers of course need a little help, but again, first you need straight flanges

24. KenC

KenC

No gasket was always the way when these were common in the shop way back when.

There was one guy in town that used a liberal coat of roofing tar on them! It seemed to work. I guess once the solvents cooked away (must have smelled awful), it left a coat of nearly pure carbon to fill any gap.

Fabulous50's likes this.
  25. sunbeam

sunbeam

It's not warped so much as they kept driving with a leak and eroded away the metal at the leak Thats where I've had luck with the NAPA product.

Fabulous50's likes this.
  26. sdluck

sdluck

FE Ford s have high egt,even stock. Make sure the tune up is good,timing correct for the engine and advance curve and is what the engine likes not motor manual spec.Make sure it has a working vacuum advance there are many different one. Adjustable one would be best,Gas has changed alot.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Not sure what he's running up there in Maine, but out here we have E10.

While the stoichiometric ratio of air-to-fuel for non-ethanol gasoline is 14.7:1, for E10 it is 14.2:1.

Without at re-tune for that, you are running lean across the board.

As lean mixtures take longer to burn than rich ones, an uncorrected lean condition from fuel type, with timing for a different fuel type, can result in late-burn.

Lean mixtures also lead to higher EGT. Just a few incorrect adjustments can add up to really hot exhaust. If an engine design is already prone to it, it will be exposed quickly.

Fabulous50's and anthony myrick like this.
  28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Check to see if the head is straight and also the exhaust manifolds. If so, clean the surfaces with a body file with rough sand paper to a nice shiny surface. Coat the surface with mentioned high heat copper sealer. Torque the bolts in two steps from the center out to about 25 ft lbs. Let set over night. Start engine let it idle untill manifolds get hot. Let it set, till cool, check the torque on the bolts. You should be good!

Bones

Fabulous50's likes this.
  29. deadbeat

deadbeat

My wife has a 63 tbird with a stock 390. It is a real pain to replace the gaskets as there isn't much room in there. I would be interested in having a crack at all0y gaskets like @BLACKNRED has suggested. I did work in a speed shop and we would get in the Remflex gaskets for people , but they are hard to get down here but most of the drag racers loved them,, cheers

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  30. I’ve got a 390 to go through soon. The plan is to surface all the mating surfaces and use a thin high temp sealant.
    The worst thing Ive had on FEs was cracked manifolds and broke bolts.

deadbeat and Truckdoctor Andy like this.