Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hildebrandt oil canister

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cowkicker, May 31, 2022.

1. cowkicker

cowkicker
    from Ky

Recently aquired a truck with a hildebrandt oil canister mounted on the firewall. I tried to turn the lid but didnt have much luck. Dont want to mess up anything, was needing some pointers on how I might be able to get it apart without disfiguring the canister or tearing up anything. I am sure that it has been years since it has been apart.thanks for any help!

2. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Some do NOT have a screw off lid....there are three small screws located in the main body that engage the lid. Undo two of the screws (socket head) and you lift the lid off.

3. That’s how mine was . 3 small Allen head set screws

4. cowkicker

cowkicker
    from Ky

Mine doesn't have any screws in the lid. Has big rectangle lug on the lid that a 15/16th wrench fits, can't get it move at all. I am afraid too much force will crack the paint on the firewall. And as luck would have it, the mounting bolts are covered by the upholstery. Trying to figure a way to hold bottom of the canister without defacing the aluminum

5. Is it an original cartridge filter ?

or the newer style that hides a spin on filter ?

Get a strap wrench to hold it .

take a pic if you can

6. cowkicker

cowkicker
    from Ky

It's a newer one. Yeah, that what I was thinking, some type of strap to go around it.

7. modagger

modagger

Does it resemble this? I too was perplexed with how to get to the cartridge inside. As has been said, 3 small barely visible Allen screws around the perimeter. Seek and you shall find. 97377E61-3055-46D2-8399-44B24670E8F8.jpeg

big duece likes this.
  8. modagger

modagger

Maybe this crude attempt at pointing two of the locations out will help. Then again, it may confuse you. 9A372871-B8E9-4BB1-913E-6914E76B0B9A.jpeg

9. cowkicker

cowkicker
    from Ky

Thanks, thanks, thanks, the picture shows just what I was looking for! Tiny little things aren't they?

modagger likes this.
  10. modagger

modagger

Glad I could help.