Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4way flashers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Apr 28, 2022.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Wanting to add a 4way hazard flasher stand alone circuit. 12volt charging system. What all parts do I need ? I realize wire , a flasher , switch. But what size of each? Anybody have a wiring diagram?
    Thanks for any assistance.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Use a ON OFF 3PST toggle switch. One row of 3 poles wired from hazard flasher. Each remaining pole will go one to left front, one to right front, one to brake lights.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Know of a wiring diagram?

5. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I came across this for a very simple turn signals and hazard lights. It utilizes LED bulbs with no relays required. Doesn’t get much simpler for electrical challenged folks like myself. This is the YouTube:

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Here what the toggle looks like. It is defined as ON OFF 3PST (3 Pole, Single Throw)
    [​IMG]
    It has 6 terminals, 3 on the left and 3 on the right side.

This is how it works inside. Yes, it's 3 on off switch's in one.
    [​IMG]

Per the the above image...
    1) Place a wire from hazard flasher (that will need to be added) that is wired Hot and fused to all 3 terminals of left side of the switch so all 3 of those terminal will receive on-off signal from hazard flasher at the same time.
    2) Add a wire from top right terminal to right front signal wire from turn signal switch.
    3) Add a wire from middle right terminal to left front signal wire from turn signal switch.
    4) Add a wire from lower right terminal to brake light switch (to one that goes to the back of the car, no the hot orange one).
    That's it.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Disregard middle set of terminals that @Hot Rod Dan did and you'll have what @gimpyshotrods mentioned above.
    [​IMG]

What I describe is based on how 69 and up GM hazards work. Either way, it all does the same thing.

By the way @gimpyshotrods, why did you feel the need to add a pilot light? Doesn't the vehicle you put your set up in not have turn signal indicator lamps in the dash?

lowrd likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has a single light in the cluster.

I added the extra one to differentiate from me just absentmindedly leaving the turn signal on.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Gotcha. That would explain why.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a 1960 Ford. If the cluster had two lights, it would be easy to tell if it were a single side turn signal left on, versus the hazard lights. This way I don't need to fiddle with the lever and the switch to see if I am doing the wrong thing.

I learned a hard lesson already with that car about people misinterpreting lights. That nearly totalled the car.

That's why it now has 1963 backup lights, and a third brake light. It is not a guarantee that it won't get hit again, bur I'd rather not stack deck against myself.

David Gersic and Johnny Gee like this.
  12. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ok I now have hazards that work when the car is off. How can I have them working when the car is running? Could I just add a diode to the power side of the turn signal circuit to prevent back feed on the two separate circuits?

13. You don't want to do that. How it's supposed to function is when the hazards are on, your turns won't work, but the brake lights still will; you don't want the brake lights to not work at any time. This will cause both front and rear lights to come on steady while the brake is applied, but that's how most OEM hazards work. The downside is you've increased the switching load on the brake light switch with the 'extra' front lights, and some switches won't like this. If you have a switch failure, use a relay after the brake switch.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  14. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

They are led lights so doubt if they will cause an issue ; want to know how to make them work when engine is running.

15. If they're not working when the engine is running, it's mis-wired somewhere. It shouldn't matter if it's running or not.

firstinsteele likes this.
  16. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

The car is a 1952 Henry J. It had turn signals but not hazards. I was able to add hazards when engine off from a You tube video. Now I want to be able to turn them on while driving if needed.

17. The power wire for the four way flashers is controlled by the ignition switch.
    It needs to be moved to a circuit that is always 12 volts, like headlights, brake lights, horn.

18. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I wired the hazards to work on a fused separate wire straight from the battery. How can I use the hazards while driving if needed, without damaging the turn signal circuit?

19. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

20. If you used a 4-pole switch to wire to the lights, no worries about the turn switch. It's all the same 12V source, so there's no possibility of a short circuit. If you used a 3-pole switch, then part of the circuit does go through the turn switch and can backfeed partially inside the switch. If the switch isn't sketchy it should be OK but you may see some odd behavior if the turn signal is turned on. Using a 4-pole switch will eliminate this.

21. What does the circuit do when the car is running and you flip the switch for hazards? Do all four lights light up but not flash? Do you have separate bulbs for turn signals and brake lights or do they use the same bulb?

dtwbcs likes this.