Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Ardinger, Apr 27, 2022.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I can tell you they ain't cheap!!!! 20399.jpg DSC03782.jpg

2. 73RR

73RR

Nothing sweeter than an FED. I want to hop in my time machine and go back to 1966....and add in Wild Willie Borsch too...

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You know your having fun when you have to let the crotch strap out to get buckled in.:D

Bandit Billy, raven and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is kinda fun too.
    Arlington IMCA Oldtimers 1999.jpg

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

TUB, yes that looks like a blast! Lippy

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nowhere near as intense as an FED, but it does last a lot longer.:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. You're joking, aren't you. You actually trust that Jewish Lightning guy?

8. Rebuilding a hemi should run you about $5,000.00

The cranks for all of the '51-'56 engines are the same

The intakes manifolds for all of the '51-'58 hemis are the same from a bolt-on standpoint HOWEVER,
    the ports were enlarged in '54 and the thermostat housing was removed in '55.
    What this DOES mean, however, is that any aftermarket CHRYSLER hemi manifold will work on any '51-'58 engine provided you have the correct heads on the block
    In '57 the deck height was raised and, to compensate for the raised deck height, the intake runners were lengthened, thus, making the earlier intake manifolds usable on the later raised deck blocks.
    If you put the '55 heads on a '57-'57 block, the intake manifold will be too narrow and you'll need spacers.
    Conversely, if you put '57-'58 heads on a '56 and earlier block, the manifold wont fit either because it'll be too wide.

Timing covers are interchangeable between '51-'54 before Chrysler switched from a cast iron cover to a stamped steel cover.
    If you want to convert to a Chev water pump, you'll need to convert your '51-'54 block to a stamped steel (aftermarket) timing cover.

All Chrysler hemi valve covers are interchangeable with the exception of the 300 & Industrial/Marine variants with solid lifter cams. The solid lifters in these engines required that there be dimples in the valve covers to clear the exhaust rocker arm adjusters. If you don't have solid lifters, the 300 and Industrial/Marine valve covers will still work on your heads because the bolt pattern is the same as the "FirePower" and "Imperial"covers.

Gear driven crank industrial engines (they only came in 331 and 354 cid displacements) have useless crankshafts. The lower timing gear boss on the crank is smaller than that of a timing chain sprocket crank and, since these gears are unobtainable, an industrial engine will require a new crank with the provisions for a timing chain sprocket.

NEVER knurl valve guides, especially intake valve guides. The side-thrust on the intake valve stem due to the rocker geometry will render the knurling useless in under 1000 miles and you'll start sucking oil down the valve guides on deceleration and blow-by will be a nightmare.
    Replace the valve guides with factory sintered iron guides. Egge sells them. If you have a good machinist, have him/her mic the valve stems and HONE, not ream, the guides to factory tolerances.

BTW, Be careful of who you buy parts from.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/92382895@N07/collections/72157633393350258/
    The bolt fell out of his pump.

....another five grand down the drain in 2011 thanks to Hot Heads

9. One of the bolts fell out of his converted 340 MoPar high volume oil pump conversions and I lost oil pressure climbing a hill in Maryland on the way home from the Street Rod Nationals in 2011.

$2,200.00 for the tow back to Massachusetts and $5,000.00 for a new block and I was on the road again. This time with a modified (basically, a longer, hardened, 340-type intermediate shaft) oil pump drive shaft and an off-the-shelf 340 oil pump.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The engine in my avatar is a '54 331 out of a New Yorker. It has an aftermarket aluminum front cover and an aluminum SBC water pump. It makes a nice combination.

Every pound you can save on these beasts is beneficial.

51 mercules and 41rodderz like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may need @73RR to back me up on this, but I believe that the 331 crank had smaller cross drilled oiling holes in the crank than the 354.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got that right! These things have their own gravity!

raven, chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Go to search page and under person type in scootermcred

14. mickeyc

mickeyc

The Hemi book you show is become very hard to acquire. The ones I have seen advertised
    lately are priced way high. I paid 10 bucks for mine through the Amazon site several years ago.
    A wealth of information and illustrations. I did read that it may be reprinted. That would be
    a good thing.

51 mercules likes this.
  15. gatz

gatz

Per "slayer" this is where the tag should be...
    331 Block ID Tag Location_1.jpg

Mine was missing

The 331 I purchased a number of years ago (long block with heads, etc all in pieces) was an Industrial version.
    331 HEMI Chrysler Industrial valve cover_2.JPG

Engines like this were frequently used to power irrigation pumps in the midwest.
    There wasn't an ID on the front of engine as given in other examples....

331 HEMI no sn here.JPG

Its number was stamped on the left front of the block (probably on a Monday morning)...
    331 HEMI sn 6714561_1a.JPG

So, I stamped it for future IDing

331 HEMI sn 6714561 & oil galley air dam_1.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Kevin Ardinger like this.
  16. jaracer

jaracer

Funny but true. Every old "Y" block laying on its side is a 312.

chryslerfan55 and Wanderlust like this.
  17. I used to work for Tex Smith as a writer for Hot Rod Mechanix and Custom Car as well as selling magazine subscriptions and how-to books at car shows. That ended years ago when the economy tanked and Tex Smith Publishing folded. I do, however, still have a few new, never opened, copies out in the garage.
    pm me if you want a copy. cover price plus shipping.

18. Back to swapping.
    The '51-'56 cams are nearly identical. They can be swapped HOWEVER, you should look for the '56 cam because it uses a single bolt for the timing sprocket. The '51-'55 cams have a threaded snout on the front and take a different, unobtainable, sprocket. BTW, the 340 double-roller timing chain set-up is a direct fit swap for the '56 set-up.

I have been running a '56-style Crower solid lifter roller cam and adjustable pushrods in my hemi since 1965. I switched to the 340 timing chain as well when it hit the market. The engine has a LOT of miles on it. It's been driven to the Street Rod Nationals every year since '74 and I live in Massachusetts. Aside from the Syracuse nationals, every other one has been a one-way trip over 1000 miles just to get there. It's a thousand miles, door-to-door to Louisville every summer.

'51-'56 connecting rods also swap.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a bunch out there. The trouble is, they are not $200-$500!

51 mercules likes this.
  20. They're ALL spoken for as of ten minutes ago.

51 mercules likes this.
  21. Sad to hear that,,,,,,on the plus side though,,,,,there will be several new pristine examples on eBay in a couple of weeks,,,,LoL .

Tommy

22. ....and all those three-digit priced books are all pre-owned. Mine were leftover new books still in the original CarBooks shipping boxes. I still have a bunch of the other Tex Smith how-to books including the Electrics book, which I wrote.

I don't waste time trying to sell them because it's a real chore for me to get to a Post Office to mail them because I still have a real 40 hour a week job and the Post Office is closed when I leave for work and is about to close when I get out of work.

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  23. sunbeam

sunbeam

Tex Smith's book had Chrysler info but not much on Desoto of Dodge hemis

24. Correct.

and Dodge and DeSoto hemis had fewer interchangeable parts as well.

The Dodge was the shortest of the three hemi families while the DeSoto, size-wise, was between the Chrysler and Dodge.

Unlike he Chryslers, intake manifolds weren't interchangeable between the early and later taller, raised deck, blocks.

25. 73RR

73RR

Correct on the oil holes, BUT, the flange extension is also different on the 51-53 cranks vs the 54-up.
    Scooter discovered this when he was building his engine.
    Hemi starter to flywheel engagement problem | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ooooh....

I did not know that! I have been on the hunt for another early Hemi block, but only have a 354 rotating assembly!

This saved me a headache! Thanks!

27. My 1958 truck 354 startup last summer: 354 Chrysler Hemi startup - YouTube

From the top: Edelbrock 650 CFM carb with electric choke & vac secondaries, Hot-Heads intake, 555 "triple nickle" heads, MSD distributor, 224* @0.050 cam, 10:1 CR, 340 oil pump, and homemade MIG-welded headers with 1 5/8" primaries, SBC H2O pump on a Black Mountain Hemi timing cover/adapter.
    :cool:
    03 finished.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    raven, Bandit Billy and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a Jew, married to a Jew, I find this statement racist and reprehensible.

29. Well, that's what everyone I know calls him.

30. He's burned his place down multiple times to collect the insurance.