Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Removing logos from glass taillight lenses?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt Six, May 28, 2022.

1. Curt Six

Curt Six

I found a really neat set of early-'40s taillight bezels and lenses. The only thing is they've got the brand logo molded into the glass. Is there any way to sand/buff or otherwise remove that name from the lens without destroying it? The lens glass is thick, and the logo itself is only about 1/16" taller than the rest of the lens. Thanks.
    Curt

2. I suppose you could carefully sand it off and then polish the glass lens afterwards. I personally wouldn't try it 'cause I'm certain I would screw it up.:eek:..Just curious why you would want to do it, Curt. ....Don.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Glass guys have "wet sanders" that will remove glass, and then work it up to a polish. Pretty much the same as bodywork. Start with 80 , work your way up to 600 grit, then polish. I'd try to find a willing glass shop before investing the time and money (if you have to buy sandpaper, and a polish kit). I actually have a set up here, if you were closer.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. So is the logo a oval or a bowtie ?

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

look at stained glass suppliers, they have a wet grinder that is used to smooth edges. i'll bet you could do it with that, but i havn't seen your lenses.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

you can buy glass polishing kits on ebay. They are not cheap, they start about $100 but you can grind it off and ripolish to new condition..

7. 5window

5window

Can you post a picture? You could do it with a high speed diamond ball in a Dremel but yo have to keep it wet and they figure out how to polish it back. You'd be better off to find a stained glass shop with a grinding/polishing capability.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  8. scoop

scoop

Go to a glass shop they should be able to do it.

PhilA likes this.
  9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

My friend does stained glass work and has a wet sander/polisher. You can find someone that does stained glass work and they could do the job for you.

gimpyshotrods and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Go to the hardware store and get some aluminum oxide sanding belts, if you don't have a belt sander, just rip you off a piece, get a block, and a bucket of water. Like said above, just gradually go to a finer grit, and then rub it back out with some jewelers rouge.

11. Curt Six

Curt Six

Thanks for the replies fellas. All good info...glad to know it can be done. To answer your question @lothiandon1940 i want to do it because it’s for a custom and I just like to limit identifiers like logos. They’re from an orphan brand, but that’s all I’m saying!

12. 5window

5window

Practice on something first. Several times.