Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. I had to make 2" pedestals to bolt my seat to, so it didn't teeter on the tunnel, made me wonder if you were gonna have to do the same

2. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

yes, I will have to do something as well. Not sure just what yet. I barely got started before I had to quit

3. twenty8

twenty8

With the 700r4, it only needs a 12v feed to lock the convertor clutch. You need to wire it (inside the pan) to lock in 4th/overdrive only so when it is in 1st, 2nd and 3rd it is unlocked. Use an adjustable vacuum switch to get it to lock at higher vacuum when cruising (light to mid throttle). Hit the loud pedal hard, it unlocks. Wire it through the brake light switch so it unlocks when brakes are applied. Hey presto, fully automatic lockup without a computer. Toggle switch is too hit and miss, and should only be there for an emergency override.

TV cable (throttle valve cable) setup is extremely important with a 700r4. Don't get it wrong or you could burn up your trans on the first 'round the block' test drive !!!

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  4. That's why I took it to the transmission guy, it's all wired for 4th gear lockup, no toggle switches, nothing rigged up. Pretty cool how he did it, of course you can buy a kit to do it, but those old guys are pretty smart. I won't get to work on it until Sunday, way too busy around here getting cars done for delivery.

5. Sounds like a plan, don't work to hard big guy! ;)

6. P
    Yo @mad mikey , how’s the noggin?

7. SS327

SS327

I don’t know if I can wait until Sunday! I want to see it go now!

hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. SS327

SS327

Well, it’s Sunday. How does the new trans feel? Car feel faster or quicker?

chryslerfan55 and 427 sleeper like this.
  9. Didn't happen, got the pipes off of the car, torque converter bolts out, and left for band practice. Spent most of the day finishing a 69 C10 for the owner to pick up. Gotta take care of customers first and foremost, they fund this sickness lol... firehouse tomorrow, then Tuesday and Wednesday is final sand on a 39 Chevy and paint. Maybe Wednesday after painting I'll get it in there.

10. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

keep us updated

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. SS327

SS327

And this one time at band camp did you take a flute and…………………

chryslerfan55 and 427 sleeper like this.
  12. SS327

SS327

…….play it until your hearts content?
    What did you think I was going to say?

hotrodjack33 and 427 sleeper like this.
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Glad to see you are going with an overdrive transmission........bestus choice :)

Be sure you get the TV cable set correctly, that makes a big difference. Best way is to put a pressure guage on the trans then you know for sure its correct.

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes...VERY important:D
    0.59.gif

16. SS327

SS327

Does it shift yet? Enquiring minds want to know.

17. Yeah all is good, shifts hard on the 1-2. Got my front shock mounts done and the trans cooler on. Then I couldn't get the damn car to run worth a shit. Finally pulled the front bowl and it was full of crud. Cleaned everything up, blew out the metering block, back together and it ran great again. Ready for the trip, just gotta few little things to do.

18. Bout time!
    :D

19. I was so pissed, I actually grabbed an edelbrock carb and started cleaning it, I've never had luck with a Holley. But for some reason, something told me to pull that front bowl. Before I got the tank hooked up, I was running the car off of an old 2 gallon jug that wasn't the cleanest, and I didn't have a filter in line. It was funky in there. All good now though. Did you get the shitter fixed?

20. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. SS327

SS327

Glad to hear that big guy! I was rooting for you. Now I want to see some time slips.

22. It's surprising how it pulls to me, I figured it would be a dog, but I guess I've lightened it up a lot. I'll for sure take it to the track by my house, but first I've gotta get rid of that dinky driveshaft lmao.

23. Not done yet but they’ve got about 1/2 acre tore up

24. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

glad to hear this Lloyd

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  25. Thanks man, pushing it to the last minute lol

427 sleeper, sidewayzz69 and LWEL9226 like this.
  26. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

If it wasn't for the last minute... nothing would ever get done.... :D :D

LynnW

27. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Lloyd, did you get it into OD? Besides wiring to the 4th gear pressure switch, I’ve heard of some who run the wire out to a delay of some sort, then back into the transmission. Some guys say it hit hard when going into OD and the converter locks up.

I’m just curious:)

And hey, you can sleep next month;)

28. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

We do our best work under pressure. Just think before long you will be having a blast in BG and it will all be worth it

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  29. No not yet. But that's why I took it to the transmission shop instead of rigging it half ass. Everybody had opinions about it, plus I had my opinion. So I took it to the guy that does nothing but transmissions, I don't like wondering. It would all be different if I didn't drive it, hauled it on a trailer, sit in a chair and looked at it, etc.... but I'm not like that, if you can't drive it anywhere its useless lol. I'm confident in it. Saturday will tell the tale, I have way too much to catch up on at the moment, but we plan on putting a few miles on it tomorrow. We'll see what happens, probably rip that little driveshaft out first lol

30. Here's a question... back when I bought most of my parts for this car, I stopped by my buddy's shop that rebuilds starters and alternators, bought a one wire 10si. After getting the car together, and wiring it, it wasn't charging. I could rev it to 4000 and still nothing. Tried jumping from the #1 blade over to the stud and still nothing. I called Terry and he told me to run it over, he put it on the test stand and nothing, no big deal, he pulled it apart and replaced some parts. Put it back on the test stand and around 2000rpm it started charging. Good deal. After I got the transmission in and complete i put the alternator on. Nothing. No matter how high i rev it, tried exciting the regulator, nothing. I have a short piece of 4 gauge wire going from the block to the frame for ground. I called Terry again and he is baffled. I picked up a stock 10SI out of the building and stuck it on the car. Jumper from the #2 blade to the stud and hooked up the battery wire, it's charging 14v. I didn't do anything with the #1 wire that I've always heard has to go to a dummy light or a diode. My question is, is this gonna cause any problem? Terry is gone on vacation. It's charging fine now, but I don't know what the consequences are of doing it this way.

chryslerfan55 likes this.