Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model T roadster on Model A chassis

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trevorsworth, May 7, 2022.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

What is the benefit of reversing the firewall? Im a rookie to these cars......

Stogy likes this.
  2. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a Model A, reversing the firewall gives you a couple inches to clear a V8 without having to add a hump/tunnel. But not sure what the benefit would be on this T as everything already clears with the 4 banger. There is more space behind the engine than there was on the Model A.

Outback, Stogy and RMONTY like this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Patch panels should be here Wednesday. Dude from Howells called me and said we ordered some coupe part and wanted to be sure we wanted roadster parts. He was a nice guy! Said he was shipping parts as soon as we hung up.

I am going over to my friends house tomorrow to make the hammer forms for those rails that we need. I messed around with it for a few minutes earlier and called him, he had a better idea!

20220516_142908.jpg

Stogy, Budget36, brEad and 3 others like this.
  4. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Stogy likes this.
  5. RMONTY

RMONTY

Made it over to my friend's house today and was able to get some hammer forms cut out on his bandsaw and router table. This should help make reproducing the channel that the turtledeck side panels sits in, and is welded to, a piece of cake. I have always wanted to try the hammer form thing. I made 2 sets just in case the plywood doesn't hold up. 20220517_132549.jpg

We cut 4 strips of plywood to the proper width and length. We used a piece of hardboard as the template. We traced the shape of the piece onto the hardboard, then cut that out on the band saw. Then we used a spindle sander to fine tune the template. Next we used two sided tape to stick the hardboard template to one of the strips of plywood, and then rough cut the plywood to the shape of the pattern on the band saw, to within 1/8". Then we stuck the hardboard template to the first strip of plywood, then ran that through the router table. From there, we used the first plywood hammer form as the template, and cut out the remaining three. Thanks to my friend Ben for the use of his woodworking knowledge and wood shop.

I thought I would wait for Trevor to come over this weekend so we can both make one of these that we need. Trying out the hammer forming technique will be great learning experience for both of us!

20220517_142531.jpg

Stogy, Paul, eldiablooxidado and 7 others like this.
  6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Delivery from Howells Sheet Metal today. Panels look presentable to me! Ordered them on Saturday, here today. Good service from them from my perspective. Ordered through online bay site of course!

20220518_141810.jpg

Stogy, Okie Pete, Squablow and 3 others like this.
  7. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm super excited to get those burned in Sunday! Gotta make sure I bring my hood this time.

Stogy and Outback like this.
  8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

You are making good progress. Frank

Stogy likes this.
  9. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today we got the turtle deck broken down to its constituent pieces.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The driver side quarter is nice, and all the complex internal structural elements are intact. We will have to recreate the bottom channels as mentioned above (didn't get to it today) but everything else is very solid.

[​IMG]

Driver side is pretty nice... OK, see that lip? That fits inside a structural rib/rain gutter. When we removed the rivets holding the passenger side quarter at the bottom, the whole quarter just fell off. That lip is completely rotted off on that quarter...

[​IMG]

At first we were thinking this whole panel was a write-off. It needs attention on all the edges and the inner fender is junk. But after probing it a bit we realized the compound curves are all intact and most of what needs to be replaced is just flat, smooth sheet metal. So we cut the rot back about 1/2" to good thick metal...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we threw everything in Robin's citric acid vat.

[​IMG]

I'm planning to get back over there Wednesday... depending on the weather we're either sandblasting the rest of the car or starting on some welding.

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist a picture of all this old iron together.

Stogy, Okie Pete, Squablow and 7 others like this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see bubbles in the citric acid.
    It's working...

Stogy likes this.
  11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

sorry it took so long, found the '31 insert but it is a bottom... errrr.

Stogy likes this.
  12. RMONTY

RMONTY

Did a little work tonight. This was my first attempt ever at hammer forming. It needs a little tune up along the edges but this will never be seen once the quarters are revived and made to fit. I cut these long until we can get a final measurement. 20220523_221354.jpg 20220523_221428.jpg

13. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

Hi, I'm enjoying this build, I've got lots of the same stuff going on as you do! keep up the good works. Mike

Stogy, trevorsworth and RMONTY like this.
  14. RMONTY

RMONTY

Did a little more tonight. Got the roached passenger bucket side off. Trevor is going to wake up in the morning and shit himself when he sees I am tearing his car apart! 20220524_002439.jpg 20220524_002508.jpg 20220524_002500.jpg

Stogy, Okie Pete, Squablow and 10 others like this.
  15. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha! Be careful with that, it’s an antique!

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  16. Koz

Koz

PXL_20220219_155137583.jpg

Just as a little inspiration, here's one I recently built for Hacksaw Bill. No show winner but a good runner that handles well.

treb11, OFT, Lil'Alb and 10 others like this.
  17. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks perfect. I was just thinking about a louvered deck lid.

Stogy likes this.
  18. RMONTY

RMONTY

@Koz Love the taillights and roll bar! Any build pictures?

Stogy likes this.
  19. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need to remember to bring my tail lights tomorrow to see how they look..

Stogy likes this.
  20. Koz

Koz

RMONTY. I believe Bill is going to put a build thread up. I have a a load of pics in the shop. You wouldn't believe what this one looked like 6 months ago.

trevorsworth, We had one '26 and one '27 rear quarter. The rest iss just sheetmetal from the shop. Homemadehardtop57, (Jerry), punched the louvers for me.

Stogy, panhead_pete and trevorsworth like this.
  21. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having done the research, my concern is relocating the fill neck so I can still use the Model A cap. There are no old school radiator shops anywhere nearby that I could find… and I can’t solder that well. Wish I could because I think that would really work nicely.

Stogy likes this.
  22. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I know it's out of the way but they are on Mocking Bird Ln. just west of Irving Blvd. and they do radiators for commercial equipment. They can fix anything or build anything brass and copper so this type of repair is right up their alley. Not like the people who crisp plastic tans on aluminum cores. IMG_5426 2.jpg

23. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s only an hour from me! I didn’t see them when I was searching, I think they are just outside the radius I set.

Stogy and Atwater Mike like this.
  24. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Just trying to help. Was building a 27 roadster on a Essex frank when Uncle Sam grabbed me and left it with my boss and he sold it and gave me the $$$ when I got out. Anxious to see yours done. Frank

Stogy and trevorsworth like this.
  25. RMONTY

RMONTY

Building the new bucket side is going to be challenging but I think we can come up with a reasonable facsimile. I'm thinking about flattening what is left of it and then tracing it out on either cardboard or maybe even poster board. My hopes are that we can bend the flanges and angles on the poster board and tweak the poster board as needed until we have the right fitment, and then transfer the pattern to metal and recreate the shape(s). Does that sound reasonable? I have a 3' break, an English wheel, shrinkers and stretchers, and a bead roller with several dies including a tipping die.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Koz

Koz

This body was pretty much made with the tools you mentioned. No reason not to make that panel. Watching this thread to see the great outcome. Keep at it!

PXL_20210409_235458794.jpg

27. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

That sucks man. It's just sitting on the shelf so if you do find someone that can work it out for just let me know and it's yours.

Stogy and trevorsworth like this.
  28. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

@RMONTY if you look at this thread I linked earlier he uses a portion of a Chevy van hood to make the majority of that piece, just another option to consider

Stogy likes this.
  29. rjgideon

rjgideon

You guys are really after it! Great job!

Stogy likes this.
  30. @Shadow Creek beat me to it. That is a great thread if you haven’t checked it out yet.

Stogy likes this.