Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects No Fuzzy Dice...Digging the History of my '57 Chevy Convertible Drag Racer

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flamed34, May 19, 2022.

1. SS327

SS327

No, you did the work of cleaning it up a little. And you probably want to make a few beans. So I insist on $2,000.00.
    On a separate note probably a Vette shift bowl in the column. That’s why no hole for a lever. It looks like it was a three speed manual column.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    AHotRod likes this.
  2. Mo rust

Mo rust

This is a post that leaves a guy slack jawed and dumbfounded. Congratulations.

Baumi, Deuces, 427 sleeper and 3 others like this.
  3. flamed34

flamed34

4. flamed34

flamed34

Thanks. I really appreciate the info...and you stepping up. While I won't "make a few beans" at that price, the wife won't kick my out for losing too much money.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Holy Cow, what a lucky man you are.
    You and my father-in-law should get together, the man has a collection of tri-5 cars and NOS parts to choke-a-horse.
    I love old Hot Rod Drag cars ...
    If you don't figure out that steering column, let me know and I'll ask my father-in-law, he is a walking 80 year old tri-5 guru.

6. flamed34

flamed34

Please ask...I'm sure it's just been modified but curious nonetheless

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Holy smokes dude !!!

flamed34 likes this.
  8. jimdillon

jimdillon

"@jimdillon, you might be interested in this one."

Jason the car is really cool and if I was younger I certainly would think about it. I am in one of those stages where I probably will sell more than I will buy. Wish it was the reverse but no such luck.

9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't wait to see you start to piece this puzzle back together!

427 sleeper and flamed34 like this.
  10. Wow...I don't impress easily, but..wow!

flamed34 likes this.
  11. 1929rats

1929rats

just incredible....

flamed34 likes this.
  12. flamed34

flamed34

What I've managed to catalog so far. Still have a bunch of trim and parts I either haven't gone through or didn't write down
    Parts List 1.jpg Parts List 2.jpg Parts List 3.jpg Parts List 4.jpg

-Brent-, egads, 31hotrodguy and 7 others like this.
  13. elgringo71

elgringo71

You’ve got some great stuff with that car and some pieces that I have never seen. Like the Motion Industries Capacitive Discharge Electronic Ignition. I would like to see pictures of that. Also I had never seen the Latham Emblems before. I bet that that most people that bought the supercharger didn’t buy the emblems. Also I had never seen a Hildebrandt Fuel Pump block off plate.

31hotrodguy, flamed34 and AHotRod like this.
  14. flamed34

flamed34

I'll need to get better pics of the electronic ignition. 20220515_174115.jpg

15. How would a convertable hold up to a drag race? I figured the metal would flex too much to race a convertable hard.

16. elgringo71

elgringo71

The difference between a 57 convertible frame and a regular frame is that the convertible frame has an X Member in it to add rigidity.

17. flamed34

flamed34

The convertible frame also has a 5/16 or 3/8 steel plate welded all along the length on the bottom of the main rails. It held up better than I'd expect as well - the doors close like new!

18. Budget36

Budget36

I assumed he meant the convertible top frame?

flamed34 and Lone Star Mopar like this.
  19. elgringo71

elgringo71

Maybe he did, the car frame was made more rigid to compensate for the car not having a metal roof. This compensated for less rigidity in the convertible top.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    31hotrodguy and flamed34 like this.
  20. Squablow

Squablow

I guarantee that exact scenario has played out several times in the past, with incredible time capsule finds bastardized and collections set adrift on the winds. And I suppose some restorers would consider keeping this car hot rodded as just as much of a crime but I personally am so glad it's staying together.

21. catdad49

catdad49

Words are inadequate to describe this treasure trove of Cool, keep us in the loop!

Hamtown Al, Shain, -Brent- and 2 others like this.
  22. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

sometimes convertibles were in different racing classes

Budget36, flamed34 and elgringo71 like this.
  23. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Congrats what a score! I found one in Abilene sat since early 80's in garage. Floor was rotted out corvette 327 was ruined by water no antifreeze turned out having a 283 crank domes pistons and power pack head with a 2 barrell (old school 302 or 301.0987 ) LOL yours is pristine plus!!!

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

Absolutely incredible! Thanks for sharing it.

I'm not crazy about 57s or convertibles but this one would have me leaning in and studying it.

Congratulations!

25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

With the tires and horse power of the time it wouldn’t have been too much issues. Plus they have a huge x member!

flamed34 likes this.
  26. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

In this case he is talking about the under side of the chassis.

Atwater Mike, flamed34 and Budget36 like this.
  27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Congratulations man! What a cool score! Plus you have a few different directions you could take it and neither would be wrong.
    the car is a perfect example of what a young guy with some money and mechanical ability could do in the late 50’s!
    You could do stock which would make it the most valuable (I’m not really into this for the money personally)
    It sounds like the condition it’s currently in was probably maybe a jr stocker which maybe there is some history on.
    Or the fun theme would be a late 50’s custom with the blower!
    Just what ever you do please please don’t let it become a pro street car with a big block!! Ha
    Again congratulations!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. flamed34

flamed34

I'm going to build it the direction the original owner was taking it...using the "super port flow" heads and cam, the supercharger, and the key pieces that are on it or with it to pull it all together. I actually think that build, with the fuelie unit in the trunk, tells a cooler story and probably enhances value.
    It absolutely won't get a big block, lol

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

So glad it's staying a Hot Rod!
    It's a triple crown find. Essentially 3 finds in one;
    • 57 Fuelie conv.
    • A huge stash of NOS 57 parts
    • A stash of NOS vintage speed parts
    Finding any one of the finds would be mind blowing, but all 3 in one garage was the Mega Lotto!

I'd like to see Hot Rod Magazine Engine Masters show do a build out of the engine and cap it off with dyno runs of it with carbs, fuel injected (fuelie unit) and supercharged (Latham).

As for the trans; any chance it was originally an automatic? Well into the 70's, you could buy a complete standard changeover kit at your local Chevy dealer parts counter complete with clutch pedal, linkage, etc.
    Are you able to research the VIN to determine what the car was originally equipped with?

30. SS327

SS327

I can’t wait until the build thread starts. This is going to be good!

Deuces, 31hotrodguy, flamed34 and 2 others like this.