Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Boring old cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, May 23, 2022.

1. Rocky had a pretty racy Rambler. HRP

[​IMG]

Blues4U, Ned Ludd, MO_JUNK and 6 others like this.
  2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

With a 327 engine, the Rebel was one of the fastest cars from the factory in '57. O to 60, 7.5 seconds.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Blues4U likes this.
  6. indyjps

indyjps

One up side to the patina movement - it's now OK to have an unfinished, kinda crappy old car, as long as it drives.
    Agree we wouldn't have been caught in it years ago.
    Drive as you fix.
    Unpopular models.
    4 doors.
    Wagons.
    It's all fair game now, and, it's cool. There's an appreciation for it that wasn't there in the past.

Good Stance, Good wheel and tire package sets it apart and sends the message it's a work in progress.

7. I think Jim is now firmly in the jalopy, low maintenance mode.

Baumi, Budget36 and guthriesmith like this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks J.A. From the piece. To cut to the chase, the Rambler Rebel was shown to be America's fastest sedan for 1957. Admittedly, it was close: The Rebel's best 0-60-mph run was timed at 7.5 seconds, while the Chrysler 300C ran 7.6 seconds. But consider such legendary muscle cars as the Studebaker Golden Hawk's 8.7 seconds, or the blown T-Bird's 8.0 seconds, and you can appreciate what the AMC engineers were able to accomplish on a shoestring. Other results included the Plymouth Fury at 8.0 seconds, the Dodge D-500 at 8.8 seconds, and the Pontiac Tri-Power at 7.9 seconds. The only car that could beat the Rebel in acceleration was a fuel-injected Corvette, which did the run in 7.0 seconds to become the fastest American car, while the Rebel was the fastest American sedan.

R A Wrench, brEad, rod1 and 13 others like this.
  9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a buddy ('50s) used to say that about his dad's cord!

guthriesmith likes this.
  10. LOL! I remember being in grade school and asking my folks what they were driving to pick me up so I could decide if I would rather walk. My dad went from driving a vette daily to a station wagon...which is the point that walking looked good. :D

11. squirrel

squirrel

Unfortunately, my car is lamer than the Rebel....just another boring grandpa six cylinder Rambler.

Now, if I could get whatever is causing it to act like it's running out of gas fixed....could be fuel, could be ignition, I need to get to work troubleshooting more. Cleaned out the tank some, moved the pickup tube up off the bottom a bit, put an electric pump in back, and still not happy.

of course the first thing I did when I got the car home, was measure the engine bay for a big block. Looks like there's plenty of room.

i7083, Baumi, brEad and 14 others like this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Out of the many old used cars I had for every day,,mostly old wagons. Only one was a Rambler,a 1958 , green 4d wagon 6. My first an last Rambler. I sold it for 2X what I payed,but with a rod hanging out the side of engine, at least it had a new backyeard paint job on it by then. Got $ 100. With the new rubber floor mats.
    It never had a spair-tire,even from the factory brand new.*:confused: Or a spot to put one.o_O

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think the big difference in cars built "back then" and cars built today is that the old cars had distinctive designs that were often vastly different...........unique. You could see a car on the road and usually could identify the brand without ever seeing the logo.
    Today, most vehicles have such similar shapes that you often/usually can't tell who made it till you get close enough to read the logo. When automotive interested modern people see these exquisite(?) examples of styling from the old days, they just have to get a good look at them. They may not understand the value (historically), but they are often drawn to them and begin to appreciate them more fully.:D

Jim, I'd put a big block in it with an overdrive and a tow hitch on the back. Then when you take some of your extended trips, you can tow your race car or other project, and catch naps in it along the way in the fold down bed. What would look cooler than a rusty old Rambler towing a race car to the nostalgia drags?:)

While on the discussion of lesser known cars, I remember a guy who had a small Hudson. It was not the full size one, but more of a compact.....maybe even smaller. It was a sedan, not a sports car. It was powered by a "twin H" engine. That thing would scald the tires. Only one I ever saw.....;)

What was Twin H-Power?
    "); display: inline-block; height: 24px; width: 24px; margin-top: -1px; transform: rotateZ(-180deg);">

[​IMG]
    Instead of the standard 145 horsepower engine one could order, in 1952, the “Twin-H” version with dual carburetors increasing the horsepower to 170 and then, with subsequent tuning (the so-called 7-X modification) up to 210 horsepower. This L- head engine was at the time “the largest six-cylinder engine in the world”.

Edit: Found this....It was called a Hudson Super Jet and they only made it for a year or two then Hudson merged with Nash. So call it a Pre-Nash
    Skip to the 2 minute mark.........

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  14. squirrel

squirrel

I had a 51 hudson with a Twin H 308. That car was a slug....and got really horrible mileage. Of course, it didn't have the right carbs, and a few other issues. The Rambler isn't very fast, but it doesn't use much gas.

15. I'd drive it, but only as a "2-bagger".
    One bag to put over my head and face....... and one more bag to put over the car.

Budget36 likes this.
  16. Yes. To them an old car is a Fox body mustang.
    Cars before the classic muscle car era look like space ships.
    They don’t have a preconditioned concept of cool yet. I like that. It’s fun to see things though a fresh perspective

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It wasn’t intentional, the car builder was the discussion . I corrected it quickly and I had a lapse in that I my made my first mistake on here by not looking closer at the wheels .:) That’s all.I never claimed to be Jesus.

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I heard that there's a guy in AZ that's building a 396:cool:

Budget36, squirrel and guthriesmith like this.
  19. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Jim, I know a guy that can make that 6 a 5L, supercharged and put out 440 ft lb. Just sayin'. Mike

http://www.accuratepower.com/pics/P6150002.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I have a boring old car.

It's got 4 doors. Single carb, original engine.

Everybody I've met so far who has anything to say about it has been positive.

I guess all y'all naysayers just keep quiet.

21. Had a '62 Lark that I stuck a 327 sbc and th350 that was a real "sleeper".
    At a local show one day a fellow came up and said: "nice Rambler"! When I told him: "actually it's a Studebaker", he replied: "same thing". I just let it go after that.?.
    (Painted it with Rustoleum "Royal Blue). 20210929_214239.jpg

22. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations.

squirrel likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

They were the same thing, to many of us....

24. Is there room for a big Hemi?

squirrel likes this.
  25. Jim, do you think the Rambler might be up to the race of Lemons ? HRP

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I just reread the guidelines on traditional hot rods and traditional customs, interesting.

40FORDPU likes this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

A famous Laugh In line that goes "very interesting" is so tempting to post meme but I can't.

427 sleeper and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. I wasn't that old 50 yrs ago.......and I've never been cool. I do like weird, odd, old makes...I agree that any old cars driving around (not only for a cruise night or show) is a cool car.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  30. "The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide. That's right; TRADITIONAL. If you've come here to discuss anything other than Hot Rods or Customs built in a style representative of 1965 or before, you've come to the wrong forum."

'59 0r '60 whatever 4 door Rambler 6cyl?..huh, wtf? Maybe this is what he found "interesting".