Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Boring old cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, May 23, 2022.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yeah that thing is a real Lemmon I think. Ha! Love it!

3. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I wish i could one like it.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  4. prpmmp

prpmmp

BINGO! Man I hate this place!!! Now I have to buy a Rambler!!! Pete

hotrodjack33 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  5. Ya see ads like this and go hmmmm
    4500 seems steep but if as advertised, probably not too far off
    (Listed as New Yorker, Desoto probably wasn’t an option for the ad)
    C22409F0-C07E-4C53-9048-231221BFF3F9.jpeg D10E840D-DD44-4623-AC8C-E80A736C327E.jpeg

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Ramblers are just about the exact opposite of traditional hotrods. The young guys dont know that and think its cool just because its old, It looks like anything goes on the forum now. A guy posted his restoration the other day. Thats another thing thats the opposite of traditional hotrods. Restoring a bone stock car on the HAMB??

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This is not posted in the traditional hot rod section.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  8. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Ramblers are cool because they’re different. Also regular joes had ramblers and wagons or knew people who had them, unlike the more desirable classic cars.
    Lots of old guys have told me they remember riding in the back of wagons like mine, taking their drivers test in one or taking their girl to prom in mom’s wagon.

Anything different stands out and is at least interesting. Todays cars all look the same. When I pick my kids up from school in my daily driver suv the kids sometimes can’t tell which car is ours in the sea of grey or white lozenge shaped crossovers.

9. I bought a 59 rambler for $75 when I was about 15, I thought it was cool because of the fins lol...

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I don’t know what your talking about l think the new cars are junk and won’t be caught dead in them.:)

11. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Beep, beep, beep, beep
    His horn went beep, beep, beep

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Seeing Jim’s Rambler , is refreshing !!

427 sleeper and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

In this day and age, being odd or different is cool when it comes to cars or trucks. Old stuff is both different and for the most part pretty odd compared to the modern stuff, that is pretty much because all the modern stuff pretty much looks about like the same jellybean. Even most modern vehicles have pretty plain colors.

As far as the vehicles on the HAMB, most are only replicas of what was a traditional car (or truck) frozen in a specific time frame. As long as the pictured vehicles appear to be frozen during that time slot, everything is welcome, be it a factory restore with a few modifications, or a restored to the time frame hot rod, or an old Rambler drug out of a field someplace. Even upgrades beyond the time era that are unseen or could promote a higher safety level are acceptable, as long as it still looks close to being right, unless of course those vehicles have the wrong wheels on them. That is not acceptable.

So enjoy the HAMB for what it is, traditional vehicles frozen in time to pre 65. Obey the rules set forth by the moderators, and help others out when you can.

14. When I was a little kid my friend who lived across the street's Mom drove the wagon version like this only in blue. I thought it looked like a rocket ship from the rear.
    I can say for me personally at least, that I have looked and admired some of the very popular cars so much over the years that I'm burnt out on them never even having owned one. These oddball body styles seem like a breath of fresh air sometimes.

[​IMG]

polyhistor1, brEad, MO_JUNK and 13 others like this.
  15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I'm kinda diggin' on this '56 Rambler. I lowered it in Photoshop. Stock colors. The second version is chopped and sectioned. Either version would definitely freak people out on the street or in a show. IMG_5433-Edit-Edit.jpg IMG_5433-Edit-Edit-Edit-2-Edit-2.jpg version would definitely freak people out on the street or in a show.

16. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Any body associated with a 50s Rambler was to be avoided.
    In the 60s styling and use of chrome ( Ambassadors ) made them more acceptable. Several Rambler 50s model years wore the same taillight housing. ( boring ).
    Then the first of the 'Compacts' 59 American came along sporting that same Taillight flipped upside down!
    Americans BTW touted the claim of economic 30 mpg. I believe they had 16 inch wheels.
    Learning to drive, Pops always made certain that I knew I should pass that Rambler driver.
    By the later 60s HOT HOT Ramblers were burning the asphalt in the Quarter,

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Lol! I can relate. There are cars that I wouldn’t have been caught dead in years ago that now I might consider if cheap enough. :D A coworker showed me a 50 Buick 4-door sedan that the original family recently priced right. I may just own it soon... :rolleyes:

Damon777, brEad, MO_JUNK and 8 others like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

man I loved all the shit talking leading up to thst lol. I’m gonna find some photos of it

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

2003 sounds right? Jumped in my way back
    Machine aka carnut.com and found these. Took screen shots so sorry if they are tiny. 69D6C034-A948-41A0-A331-6A9430C95C83.jpeg 9E3C13F3-54E3-4119-B839-40775FB03141.jpeg 993B93DB-6E37-4A3B-95F2-6B87EE8DA168.jpeg @Tuck and @Rocky going at it!

Blues4U, brEad, mrspeedyt and 14 others like this.
  20. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"I'm kinda diggin' on this '56 Rambler."

That's not a Rambler, it's a Nash. Kinda like saying an Impala is a Corvair.

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

I wouldn’t have been caught dead in it when I was young, and you won’t see me at the car auctions with a bag of cash looking for one now, but from what I’ve read the old Nash/Rambler cars were good, solid, well made American automobiles. Solid, if quirky engineering. Some were even brisk performers in their day.
    I saw a wagon version Saturday at Eagle Field that had been subjected to a straight axle and jacked to the sky, I found myself looking at it a feeling sorta sad that they didn’t just clean it up, maybe modernize the drivetrain and call it good. What’s going to happen to it when the cartoon gasser phase is done?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. primed34

primed34

My parents bought a '60 Rambler station wagon new. I used to drive it around in the parking lot way before I was old enough to get a learners permit. Thing had push button shift. Thankfully they got rid of it before I could legally drive. I wouldn't walk across a narrow street to look at one.

40FORDPU likes this.
  23. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My grandmother bought a new 62 or 63 Rambler station wagon, probably the cheapest wagon they sold, had a stick and six banger. I can't remember riding in it but my daughter said it went pretty fast:) And she would know. She drove until she lost her license, many times I wish I would have bought it, I thought it was cool back in the 90's...but hey, I've got a Studebaker so I may lack credibility:)

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Most of the 59's were ugly, Ramblers fit right in. Rambler didn't get decent styling until the mid 60's, by then they were called American Motors.

I knew an old preacher that had a 59 Rambler 4 door, light blue with a white top. Probably bought it new or nearly new. Car looked like it was new inside and out, and it was about 10 years old at the time. When he died a few years later, none of the family wanted the car, it still looked good and ran good. I think they sold it for a few hundred dollars, this would have been around 1975 I think. Even as good of condition as it was in, I wouldn't have had it if they gave it to me.

25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

@Rocky had a nitrous bottle under the fender but I don’t think the line fed the engine, maybe his helmet? ⛑

That was fun- the rambler rocket I saved from a crusher in Kenosha Wi… literally- and it still exists, it’s now owned by a friend of mine that lives just down the road-

@Moriarity the sundial is accurate

brEad, AHotRod, Squablow and 6 others like this.
  26. Actually that was Martin Brothers.

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one?
    1702170_orig.jpg

Greenblade, AHotRod, 40two and 8 others like this.
  28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH, #2 definitely and I don't mean in a scatological sense.;)

29. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel they know what a pile it is but it's still cooler than the pile they are driving!:D

40two and squirrel like this.
  30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am with you on that sentiment.

Gasser 57 likes this.