Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the way I understood it was if you don't lock it up that they run hot because of the slippage. But I don't pretend to be an expert on such things

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just run it in drive instead of overdrive, no slippage then.

3. SS327

SS327

I ran a 700 for years with the converter lock up unplugged and not used. Pulling 6 snowmobiles in od. Never a problem. Sold the Blazer with 180,000 miles on it. Last I heard trans had to be rebuilt with over 200,000. Just run a good cooler.

4. Been running my 700R4 in my 52 GMC without any lockup connected, for probably 5 years now. Transmission will work fine, but it will have more slip and subsequent heat. So just run a cooler and the trans will work fine. A true 700R4 is a hydraulic valve body, like a T350. The 700R4 electric connector is just for torque converter lockup.

I don't run the lockup because of too tall rear gear and it runs better without lockup. Factory uses lockup for mpg, but BBC the heat issue is a side benefit.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  5. You probably know more than I do about them, but the way I read it, the early 80's version required the lockup be wired, I don't know. I have a lot of buddies that run them and don't wire it up. I've never been a fan, but I'm in a tight spot.

6. Lloyd, just my 2 cent's worth but with time being short it's hard to bet the simplicity and reliability of the tried & true 350 turbo. HRP

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Plus the price is right! Now get that trans changed out and get going to BG!

8. This is from the transmission center, on swapping from a 350 to a 700. #12 talks about how the early models has to be hooked up. 20220523_003934.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  9. I just finished talking to Randy, he said you're right, that if I don't wire a toggle switch to the lockup solenoid, going down the interstate at speed the converter will hit temps upward of 500 degrees. He looked at the shit in the 350 turbo pan and laughed.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I put in a second dimmer switch for lockup next to the one for the high beams. Much easier to hit it with my left foot, which isn't doing anything anyway, than a toggle switch on the dash.

11. Understand that I know nothing about an automatic transmission, but my buddy with the transmission shop told me that if I bring the transmission over there, he'll pull the pan, cut a black wire, run it to the pressure switch, red wire gets 12v, and some other jargon that I have no clue what he was talking about, and when the car shifts into overdrive, the converter will lock up, and when it shifts down it will unlock automatically. He says that's the easiest way to do it, and the way he does all of them that he uses. So tomorrow I'm taking it over there. Makes me sick to my stomach to think about it lol... I told him I'd just rather have him rebuild the 350, but he told me to relax, and if I'm gonna drive the car I'll be much happier with this 700. So.... here i am, relaxing, with a broken car lol...

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lloyd while there take the 350 along for inspection. It should only take him 5 minutes to gut it to look at the case to see if the 350 is salvageable for the future.

13. He told me to bring it over, but it's still in the car. It's raining and the car is outside :oops: I'll get around to it though. Maybe I can sell it to some girl lmao

14. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

Hopefully he gets you going soon.

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Just think how good those Twice Fried Wings are going to be when we get there.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Lloyd.Slow and sure will get you there.As the old song says,into every life a little rain must fall,it sounds like the monsoon season has arrived at your house.:eek::p.This is a really fun thread.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. SS327

SS327

Hey Lloyd, just think with the 700 you will now have a 4 speed and no one can call you a girl anymore! You can proudly and honestly say “I got a 4 speed”. Is it in yet?

18. There is a 350 in my car, do I look like a girl Mark? :rolleyes:HRP

[​IMG]

19. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

That's a loaded question these days for some people.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Well, I'm in Alabama, so depending on how far back in the wood you go, yeah

21. SS327

SS327

Maybe a really ugly one? I have seen some girls with better beards though. Even dated a few. That’s when I knew I had a drinking problem and needed to quit, and did. :oops:

22. Field trip to the trans shop. Pulled the pan, he said everything looked normal, he checked some stuff, I have no clue what he was doing, then he did the 4th gear lockup conversion. Cleaned everything up, put in a new filter and gasket, new front and rear seal, new dipstick seal, used TV cable with a new seal, stuck some bolts in the torque converter that i didn't have, put a pigtail in the trans for the 12v supply, and didn't charge me a penny lol.... plus I guess we picked up an upholstery job on his 56 Chevy. 20220524_124705.jpg 20220524_132006.jpg

23. Excellent Lloyd. You are back on track. Thats the best deal I have heard about this week, for sure. :) And as far as the automatic girl BS, well my coupe has a full race Rossler full manual auto. So..... lets race guys. Do you have a problem losing to what you call a girl?:eek::p:)

24. Hell man, I can't shift a manual, can't steer an automatic lmao! I get it, but this is what I have to do. Just gotta hate me I guess, but don't hate me if your car sits in the garage all the time, doesn't make a shit which transmission is in it if you don't drive it! He told me today that by his calculations, 3.42 gear, 28" tires, with the overdrive, I should be rocking 80mph at 2200 rpm. And with a lower 1st gear, come off the line with a little more mechanical advantage. I was afraid of this stuff, because I know nothing about it, but after hanging out with him today, I'm good, everything should be good, catch up my customers, then I'll put it in. Thanks Mikey!

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not done yet keeping the trans alive. Some more over your head stuff you'll need to follow.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. The automatic specs sound real good. This should get you on the road for your deadline and be enjoyable to drive. I love a 4 speed as much as most , My car is more consistent with the race auto and I do not break so much stuff. And yea, I still have to shift, so it's got a fun factor. :)

27. Oh yes, I was schooled on it today. He's a smart man, transmissions is all he's done his whole life and I'd have to guess he's in his 70's. He's building a 52 Chevy pickup, and I told him about my wife's truck, and we had already talked about checking out that 350 turbo in it, when I told him that it has 3.73 gears, he said "if she's gonna actually drive it, we'll build you a 700R4 to go in it!"...

28. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

Glad you got some good news today...See ya in a few weeks man.

29. Looking forward to it Steve! Did you put the seat in your car yet?

mad mikey and sidewayzz69 like this.
  30. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

started
    started on it tonight. got to buy a shift lever or put my machinist skills to use. lol. Looks like its gonna look good in there.