Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A little advice on a V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WTF really, May 23, 2022.

1. WTF really

WTF really

I'm buying some property and need to sell a few things. I have this 21 stud fresh rebuild I got from a friend's estate a couple years ago. The engine is a fresh rebuild. I'm thinking $3000.00 is a fair price. What's y'alls feelings on this? 20220523_125554.jpg 20220523_125548.jpg 20220523_125446.jpg 20220523_125436.jpg 20220523_125429.jpg 20220523_125423.jpg

2. mickeyc

mickeyc

You say fresh rebuild? I think of a fresh rebuilt as just assembled and not run
    in a vehicle or maybe just a run in on a stand. Why are the heads off
    the motor? I observe scuffing in the cylinder walls and what looks like some small
    carbon deposits starting to form. while it does look like it may low mileage I
    would consider that a used motor. I am not an expert, Just an observation.

3. WTF really

WTF really

The heads are off because they have never been bolted down the cylinder walls look to be new sleeves with hone makes. This engine has not been fired since the build.

4. WTF really

WTF really

5. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Looks obvious it’s been run for a while, I’d have to question why it’s apart, it’s very clean, at least what we can see, but I would not pay fresh rebuild price. It may be a minor thing, but I’d be looking into it , something’s not right.

SS327 and '28phonebooth like this.
  6. If I were in the market for a flathead, I don't think $3K would be out of line PROVIDED you could show me the bottom end (including all bearings) was in good shape with no corrosion. Also provide bearing clearances to verify the quality of the rebuild. JMHO

WTF really likes this.
  7. Looks like somebody did a quick hone job and maybe re-ring, not a full rebuild

2OLD2FAST, joel, SS327 and 4 others like this.
  8. WTF really

WTF really

Not sure what part make y'all think it's been ran but I'm going to pull the pan now. Curiosity is getting the best of me.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. Carbon left on top of the pistons, Std. markings, vertical ring wear that looks like it was just ball honed over. Just doesn't look like it came out of a machine shop.

2OLD2FAST, SS327, Wanderlust and 6 others like this.
  10. WTF really

WTF really

11. WTF really

WTF really

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Probably nothing but have a closer look at this line. I think the price is good, adjustable lifters..

Screenshot 2022-05-23 1.30.08 PM.png

13. WTF really

WTF really

What cylinder is that and I'll check closer. It looks a lot better than the pictures show.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. Sometimes pics pick up weird things that are not there

WTF really likes this.
  15. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Early 21 stud flatheads are not that desirable any offer you get is what its worth. Try offering it on the Ford Barn for sale you may find someone interested there. Looks like a 33 or 34 engine.
    Ronnieroadster

catdad49 and WTF really like this.
  16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

To me it looks like the top of the pistons have been cleaned up they look pitted, pitted and scored cylinders with a light hone and STD on the top of the pistons tells me it was just a rering at best not rebuilt.
    Just my opinion

Tman and WTF really like this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

It will probably be a good engine, but most likely not done at a shop. I’ve never seen cotter pins in place of safety wire, but who knows?
    If I was guessing, I’d guess a clean up, brush hone and rings and bearings.
    Go ahead a pull a rod cap or two and the main caps, get a look at the bearings and the crank.
    Also the heads looked to have been wire wheeled off, not surfaced.
    Best of luck with the sale.

mitch 36, WTF really and Tman like this.
  18. WTF really

WTF really

Thanks for y'alls help. I'll list it in a couple days. Anybody looking for one just holler.

firstinsteele likes this.
  19. If the mains look good it will prob be a fine runner

WTF really and Budget36 like this.
  20. It was obviously sleeved back to standard bore (which is fine) based on availability of replacement pistons. Still a good idea to pull bearing caps. Continue taking pictures (hope they have a date stamp) to show prospective buyers.
    So far, I'd say it looks a heck of a lot better than some I've seen "saved" on here, to the tune of mega$$.
    It may not be the most desirable flat head, but it IS a flat head!

21. I forgot about the sleeve part! that makes me REALLY wonder about it and its history

WTF really likes this.
  22. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

This is a Babbitt main flathead and you’ll know condition right away

23. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Looks like a 1936 truck motor....If it had LB on the bellhousing it would be worth more... 68 part number heads...

24. My current project involves a’34 flathead that was reman back in the day yes they had cotter pins on the rods and safety wire on the mains
    Judging by the intake I say this has insert bearings
    Yes the pistons are used but looks like the thin walled sleeves (8n tractor style)
    One has a crack but is dry sleeve so no problem
    Looks like it has valve seat inserts (mine does)
    Has later dome pistons and heads instead of flat tops
    Looks good to run

WTF really likes this.
  25. WTF really

WTF really

Where would I look other bell housing for the LB stamp and I'll check tomorrow

26. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

LB is cast in the bellhousing....

27. wandi harry

wandi harry

If that engine was advertised as fresh rebuild and I brought it as that I would not be impressed.
    Agreed photos can be misleading and it may run ok but I would not sell it as fresh.
    And the safety wiring on the mains sets of alarm bells for me

WTF really likes this.
  28. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

It’s on a cool Clayborne engine stand and quite sought after

WTF really likes this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

To me, the stand is worth more than the engine. Maybe if I was doing a very early style hot rod, like a mostly stock with a little hop up stuff, the 21 stud would work. Otherwise, not worth 3 grand.

WTF really, Tman and continentaljohn like this.