Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stud gun on gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, May 21, 2022.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Aw shucks, thanks for the love fellas. Offsets my wife's "C'mon, go for it!"
    Actually it is close to the cap, might be able to get at it. Good idea.

SS327 and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. I’ve done both , fill it with water and run a hose from the cars exhaust and fill it with exhaust fumes .

I like the argon one , although a little expensive these days . But nice n simple.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn’t think another person, let alone a HAMB member, could possibly have an Indian Sport Scout, a Bantam, and live in California too. 36B59D0F-C325-4CAC-A49B-C927FDB1A86C.jpeg 42405445-D088-4E8F-92DB-8C1E8CF2A92F.jpeg C6EA0479-4172-4421-95A1-A55D10451103.jpeg

brando1956, 2Blue2, Tman and 2 others like this.
  4. I'll hold your beer and watch!!!!

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Clearly... You know it's Putin's fault..

alanp561 likes this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

Is this a technical or theology question?

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I thought it was a car tank!!! :D

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

after cleaning gas tanks, I pass the lighted torch over the filler hole. Sometimes get a soft 'woosh' and its ok to weld

9. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Glue the pin in place!

brando1956 likes this.
  10. clem

clem

^^^^^ you can’t show that on here, - metric vise grips aren’t traditional…………:)

'28phonebooth and SS327 like this.
  11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hahahahaha. Metric visegrips and keeno mesopoopal alcohol. :D

SS327 likes this.
  12. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

I worked at a body shop next to a Mc Donald’s. Whoever installed the wheel-stops in the parking lot did me a favor and left the rebar protruding above the top of the cement. Occasionally someone would back their car into a parking spot and gash the gas tank wide open. Seeing cars all over the place they would come to us for help. I would tell them they could find one in a wrecking yard or pay me to weld it up. The rest of the crew though I was nuts the first time I welded one up. I removed the tank and poked a drain hole in the corner to remove any remaining combustible material. Flushed tank for about thirty minutes with water then carried it to the middle of the parking lot. I kept the welding tanks away as far as the hoses allowed. A crowd of onlookers had gathered by now the word was out and they were anticipating I’d blow myself up. I placed a 1 1/8” piece of plywood on top...lit the torch and stuck in the filler neck. WHOOSH a 1 foot flame. The crowd seemed disappointed- I was relieved. I repaired many tanks in this fashion until the day one sent me three feet in the air on my plywood surfboard. I welded that one back together with trembling hands. I purge them now but still stand on a piece of plywood and flame check every one. I learned that plywood trick as a young kid watching the Clown blow himself up out at the racetrack.

brando1956, SS327 and Fitty Toomuch like this.
  13. A fellow brought an early Sportster tank he just got painted to me as it was leaking gas.
    The body shop painter ground the bottom weld smooth thinking this was a good thing, not.
    The Harley tank has a top shell welded to a bottom pan turned down to form a lip which is then welded'
    I filled my wheel barrow with water and placed an old blanket within and submerged the tank
    bottom up with the fuel tap open so tank would fill with water.
    The bottom lip was about 1/2" above water and then welded with a sheet metal rod.
    I checked welded area soapy water and air in tank.
    I told the tank owner to get a stripe painted around the bottom where I had peeled his new paint
    at the water line.
    He was happy, no one got electrocuted, end of story.

14. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

ive welded dozens of tanks over the years never had one flash , the math here is simple , drain and evacuate, remove it dump it out , then dry it , a air line { USE BRASS FITTINGS ONLY !!!!!! } and put a brass regulator in yer line set it to blow but not wide open , set it in the tank to evacuate all the fumes till dry , the ENEMY IS FUMES, do it till you cant smell anything WITH THE HOSE OUT. this takes 20min to 45min pending on tank size ,when you are comfy then go to town on your tank , ALL THIS IS BASED ON YOUR JUDGMENT AND COMFORT LEVEL < IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS TAKE IT TO A PRO ,,, this is based on my experience ,, IF YOU ARENT QUALIFIED to do THIS THEN DONT GAS CAN KILL!!
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

15. If I weld a dent puller stud on a gas tank without draining or flushing, will I wake up at the Pearly Gates?

Nah, I do it all the time!
    PULL MY FINGER.jpg

SS327 and ekimneirbo like this.
  16. oldolds

oldolds

Paintless dent guys use glue to fasten the dent puller to the dent. Not HAMB friendly but it works

17. x2 on this. Back in 1977, we drove to the NSRA Nats in St. Paul from Detroit area. Got there and discovered gas tank leaking in brother's '27 Ford. Found out previous owner used steel line with no hoses. Stress caused leak at steel tank bung. Tom "Trooper" Holden jr. with MHRA Repair Shop filled tank with water and welded tank. We added a piece of rubber hose between the tank and fuel line. Tank lasted until about 8 years ago when it was replaced.

18. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

That should be an easy dent for them, and you wouldn't have to repaint. I agree with BB.........:)

When I was a kid, we used to crush Coke cans and put a ladyfinger firecracker in them and light it. The caveat was that you had to hold it in your hand to prove how brave(dumb) you were........but the cans did expand. Perhaps a larger firecracker coupled with the gas fumes, but you probably don't need to hold it in your hand...........:eek:

Jus kiddin:p

427 sleeper and Bandit Billy like this.

19. I think they're suppose to be Whitworth!

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

I pushed out a dent on mine by sealing the openings and filling it with compressed air. Took a few seconds with an empty tank. Why are you even considering using heat??

Montana1 likes this.
  21. moparboy440 hit this subject right on the head.
    Vic