Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Hambster Down Under

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Brian Handle, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

P7.jpg P1a.jpg P1.jpg P2.jpg P3.jpg P4.jpg P5.jpg P6.jpg While I was at the Test n Tune, Pete from Pete`s Hot Rods invited me to the Cottonvale Dirt Drags that he runs every year. They run over a 100 metre strip that has been graded, rolled and a water truck keeps it damp.
    Sounded like fun, so I threw some 28 inch off road tyres onto a couple of rims and a couple of air cleaners.
    Off we went for the weekend.
    Well, you have heard of the saying,
    You should walk the track first.
    Lined up and off I went with two rooster tails coming out the back off the tyres.
    Beat the other car to find that the slow down section was only about 60 metres long.
    NO front brakes, pulled the hand brake and the rear locked up, knew that I wasn`t going to make it, so I spun the wheel to the right and put the car onto the wet grass into the paddock backwards. Sh!t I thought, they are going to kick me out. When I got back to the start, Pete came up to me and said that it looked COOL.
    Had heaps more runs that day but slowed down towards the finish line.
    Nathan even jump in a gave it a go. Actually, he drove it more than me.
    Was a great weekend, Bacon and egg rolls for breakfast, cruise to an old Pub for lunch and Pete and his crew cooked an awesome roast dinner for all.
    Will definitely be returning.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Crosley, alanp561 and brianf31 like this.
  2. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

And wouldn`t you know it.
    Made it BIG time. Street Machine Mag
    Woo Hoo S1.jpg S2.jpg S3.jpg

3. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

After Pete's, I noticed that the engine was starting to pop out of the 6th cylinder,
    Ignored it and let it sit for a couple of months.
    Willowbanks Nostalgia drags were finally coming up so I decided to take the valve cover off to reset the rockers.
    Thankfully I did, found that it was about to drop a exhaust valve, (Maybe over revving, Maybe ??).
    Didn`t want to take the head off because Willowbank was 4 days away.
    Ripped the spark plug out, grabbed some rope and started filling the cylinder up and compressing it until the valve would not move.
    Knocked the collets and retainer off, the collets were munched but the valve unmarked, dodged another bullet.
    Had spares, so replaced them and up and running again.
    Thank God for that.
    E1.jpg E2.jpg E3.jpg E4.jpg E5.jpg E6.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  4. spanners

spanners

Good that you caught it before doing damage. I broke a valve spring in my Holden red motor in my FJ ute on the way back from Willowbank one year towing the HAMBster. Nursed it home and rather than use the rope trick I put the piston on t.d.c. and made a fitting out of an old spark plug, busted the porcelain out, brazed an air fitting onto it and pressurized the cylinder. Worked a treat.

alanp561 likes this.
  5. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Well
    Willowbanks Nostalgia's finally arrived,
    4 of us competing, Brendon, Steve, Jeff and myself.
    6cyl Holden, 6cyl Chev, Flatty V8 Ford and 6cyl Ford.
    Check out Brendon's review of the day, Another Ozzie Build,
    Was a great day
    Brendon was getting quicker and Steve and Jeff, well they have been racing Hambsters for so long that they have it all down pat, consistency is their word.
    Pulled my best times yet, 13.31 @ 98.3 mph. Top qualifier,
    and then the driver let the car down.
    First run was against Jeff in the Flatty, beat him off the line, Confident that I had this, lifted before the finish line so I wouldn`t break out and he nipped past me to take the win. Don`t do that again.
    Next run was against Steve, staged too deep, knew it and broke out. He cruised to the line to take the win.
    Last run was against Brendon, nipped past him, finally a win.
    In the long run, it didn`t really matter as I was grinning ear to ear from the fun of it.
    We all chatted and committed to do this more often.
    On the way home, blew a tyre BIG time, couldn`t pull over for a couple of kays. Still couldn`t wipe the smile off my face as I knelt down to change the tire on the Motorway.

Attached Files:

• Wil1.jpg
      Wil1.jpg
      File size:
      90.1 KB
      Views:
    • a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      132.6 KB
      Views:
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      92.9 KB
      Views:
    • a3.jpg
      a3.jpg
      File size:
      131.4 KB
      Views:
    • a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      File size:
      150.8 KB
      Views:
    • a5.jpg
      a5.jpg
      File size:
      107.3 KB
      Views:
    • a6.jpg
      a6.jpg
      File size:
      85.8 KB
      Views:
    • a7.jpg
      a7.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
    • a8.jpg
      a8.jpg
      File size:
      122.9 KB
      Views:
    • a9.jpg
      a9.jpg
      File size:
      72.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    alanp561 likes this.
  6. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

I was going to make the fitting but when I turned around, found the rope hanging on the wall.

alanp561 likes this.
  7. spanners

spanners

Word of warning Brian. Never underestimate Jeff or Steve. They've been doing this for a while as you say. We are all mates until those lights come down.

8. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Worked that out REAL quick, won`t be making that mistake again.
    Haa!

9. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Well finally found a 250 CID 2V head for the Hambster.
    The head is all bare with no Manifold.
    All good, big plans to make my own manifold.
    20220112_085734.jpg 20220112_085740.jpg 20220112_085749.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  10. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Took a bit of time but I am pretty happy how the manifold turned out.
    Just need to make 2 new Aluminium Risers for the carbs and all done.
    Head then will go off to Precise Engineering for 90 thou to be taken off, new guides, weld up the centre port and a few extra tricks
    20220411_081331.jpg 20220213_120701.jpg 20220410_110031.jpg 20220410_110038.jpg 20220410_110044.jpg 20220419_090625.jpg 20220420_131450.jpg 20220415_085609.jpg 20220415_085529.jpg 20220501_100128.jpg 20220523_135036.jpg 20220523_135041.jpg 20220523_135049.jpg

11. BS!

BS!

12. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Gotta keep up with all your work, and try to stay one step ahead.

13. BS!

BS!

You don’t need stuff to make you go faster though. You’re already waaay quicker haha

Brian Handle likes this.
  14. spanners

spanners

Ah, but the trick is to be consistent.

15. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Too true, but FAST and consistent is fun.
    There is still the National ET standing.

16. spanners

spanners

I can't argue with that. Unless I throw huge amounts of money at my Grey motor it's not going to go any faster but I did do 6 race meetings in a 10 week period and didn't open the toolbox and that means more racing. As for National ET Kevin Unger and Jeff made a good start on that. My first run was a 20.2 and I've got that down to a best of 13.5 at Sydney so going faster does appeal to me.

17. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

I know what you mean.
    My motor is a throw together of second hand parts with new rings and bearings. Originally just to get it running.
    Cost about $600.00
    It keep surprising me and keep trucking along.
    I was planning to build a better engine, but this one won't quit and pulls good times.
    The 2V head was always going on a motor for the dragster, that was a given thing.
    Bar nearly dropping a valve, I haven't needed to touch it also.
    At the moment it runs consistent low 13s.
    Once the head and manifold is replaced, it will be somewhere in the 12s.
    Once the head is finished, it will cost less than a grand, including the price of buying it.

18. spanners

spanners

I hope to be there in August and catch up with everyone, fuel costs permitting. For me it'll be approximately $800 fuel towing cost at todays prices. Plus entry, plus $50 for an IHRA licence for the day.

19. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Would be good to catch up again.
    Give the Danglmaier brothers a run for their money.
    We have been talking, Brendon, Steve, Jeff and myself about trucking down to Sydney for The Day of the drags Sydney. next year.
    You Keen?

20. spanners

spanners

Could be a possibility. For me that should be an easy 4 hour tow mostly up the Hume highway.

21. BS!

BS!

I wouldn’t mind heading to heathcote for their nostalgias either one of these days.

22. spanners

spanners

I'm hoping the Grey holds together after Willowbank to race at Mildura the following weekend and maybe Rod Hadfield will be there with his HAMBster. I've always wanted to race him.

23. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg I know that it is not the Hambster, BUT, next project turned up, after many years of owning and not seeing, finally got the Austin home.
    Gasser build time with my Nephew Nathan.
    Planning to drop Nathans 360 Chrysler in it.
    Front engine Dragster and Straight Axle Gasser. just what I wanted

24. spanners

spanners

I'll be watching you build this one. I've got one as well but a lot worse condition wise.

Brian Handle likes this.
  25. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Well, all done, hopefully. Pretty happy with the results, could be neater though.
    Swapped the head, made manifold, linkages, mounts, scoop, modified and rebuilt 2 carbs, replaced fuel pump, added fuel regulator and replaced fuel lines.
    Finally got the Dragster out of the back of the shed and into a better room for a few shots of the finished job.
    Took longer to complete due to a troublesome Holley carb body that didn't want to stop leaking, no matter what we did to it. Swapped all the parts and still leaked. Finally gave up and swapped the body of the carb with a spare. Didn't want to use that body as it was not a matching number to the other carb.
    I know the rules say no new Holley carbs, but Ford factory Holley carbs from 1957 Ford Customline / Fairlane's running Y block's, are not modern, actually period correct.
    Other delay was that we, (I) actually blew the diff road testing the Dragster in the driveway.
    (Also twisted the 9-inch axle). 650 kg + me and still twisted an axle.
    Tore 5 teeth off of the crown wheel. Mad rush to buy a new set. small dramas. Finally finished yesterday.
    Still some minor tuning but should be good to go.
    Was planning to take it to a test n tune on the 5th of November, but it is cancelled.
    So, the next one is the 18th. One week before the Nostalgia's on the 26th.
    We will see if it breaks into the 12 sec, or just breaks.
    Hopefully I won't break it or another mad rush.
    One night about 8pm, I stopped and remembered all those late nights as a kid working on whatever car that I was doing up at the time, and it made me smile and made the situation feel not so bad.
    20221020_113140.jpg 20221020_113152.jpg 20221020_113220.jpg 20221020_113132.jpg 20221020_113120.jpg 20221020_113204.jpg

26. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

What may have happened was,
    The rear end is solid mounted.
    When I dumped the clutch (only dump the clutch at work, on the dragstrip, I have to ride the clutch),
    the Dragster hopped, causing the smashed crown wheel and twisting the axle when it locked up.
    Well, that's my theory.
    20220928_192812.jpg 20220928_192835.jpg

New set of Spicer gears and more attention to details when fitted. should be good to go.
    Still has the twisted axle in it but have a spare on its way. If I get time to fit it, I will.
    20221011_185437.jpg 20221011_185447 (1).jpg

Crosley likes this.
  27. spanners

spanners

You must have a serious amount of grip plus horses to do that much damage. What's this slipping the clutch you speak of? 3000-4000 rpm and step off the clutch is my preferred way but the Holden Grey hasn't got the ponies of yours.

28. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

I did try stepping of the clutch at several rpm,s, never found the clutch to like it and no matter what, it would launch lazily or bog down. Put it down to how light the car is and how small the flywheel is.
    When I say slip, I mean in between step off and ride. That's why I always like to stage shallow. Gives me extra room.
    Are you making the Nostalgia's in November?

29. spanners

spanners

To be honest the flooding situation around us is making it hard to plan anything. Gunnedah is on this weekend but I doubt it will go ahead as they have flood warnings at the moment. November 12th was to be a test and tune day at Wilby, Victoria which is near Echuca so that's looking grim so I've decided to give Willowbank a miss as to get there is a 2800klm roundtrip drive which I did back in August and chewed up my racing budget on towing fuel and didn't race. I've put my hand up to do some truck driving for a local farmer on harvest work to replenish the race budget. I was looking forward to racing up there with you lot but economics won out. Hopefully the Nostalgias in Sydney or Willowbank next year.
    As an aside, I had a taste of speed on Sunday with a local champion powerboat driver took me for a test and tune run on the local lake. Full competition race jetboat with 1200 H.P. twin turbo Chev and holy shit those things go and turn.

Crosley and Brian Handle like this.
  30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job getting the car back together.
    So, where did you stash all the living room furniture for the photo shoot? ;)

Brian Handke likes this.