Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. primed34

primed34

What truck?

3. Let's see, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch pedal and linkage or hydraulic throwout bearing, clutch set, not sure if I'd have to redo the driveshaft length, etc... last automatic I took to performance transmission in olive hill and they charged me $300. So if it cost that much this time I'll be happy. I don't have time to take on the conversion now, I still have no floor in the bed, all of the body to straighten out, back glass gasket to change, front shock mounts to fab, customer cars to complete, and a house to build. Plus i go back on a firetruck on the 27th, Guess I just have to be a girl.

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I have 52chevy P.U kinda looks like the white el camino

enloe and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If you can get out with $300-$400 for a rebuild, you're in good shape. Cost me $900 to have my AOD built last year, that included a new stock converter. Turbo 350 should be a lot cheaper to build.

OahuEli, chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  6. That's not a purse, it's a guitar strap lmao! :p:D IMG_8512(1).jpg

7. Performance didn't fully rebuild that transmission, he just replaced what was needed. I figure Randy would do about the same. But reading about the torque convertor being bad in his transmission has me thinking, I might pull the trans out of her truck and try it. Take me a couple of hours, and if it works, great! If not, the other trans is already out and ready to take to the shop. I'll figure something out. Might put a fucking LS in it with a 4L80E. What forum would I go to then :p

8. Budget36

Budget36

9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you do, I hope your pecker fall's off and you kick it into a sewer! :eek:

10. Lmao!! You know better man ;)

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. SS327

SS327

Now would be a good time to go to a little looser converter. Probably better off getting yours rebuilt with the shift kit.

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

And a working girl at that……
    Tough luck with that trans but it sounds like you have some options. Keep at it you’re almost there.

14. Took a look at the transmission in her truck, she told me to use it if I want, but looking at it, it's missing the retainer on the governor cap, case vent is gone, little shit that tells me that it's been sitting for a long damn time, and now isn't the time for troubleshooting things that I just need to be right. So today I've gotta paint some parts, then I'm gonna pull mine out of the car and put it in my truck for drop off tmrw. A little peace of mind will go a long way right now lol.

15. Heard my boss years ago make the statement in an argument on the phone with a vendor that was something like "I'll spend $10,000 to make a $5 point" when the vendor sent a horrible looking hood for a first gen Camaro and said he wasn't responsible, it was the shipper that damaged it. But the problems were in manufacturing, just the poor way it was put together. My boss told the guy that they will be hearing from his lawyer, and the guy on the phone laughed and said "you mean you wanna pay a lawyer to settle this?", and that's when Philip made that statement, irrelevant here i know, but my point is "whatever it takes".... I appreciate your support Mr. Bitchy, you're a good guy ;):D:p

enloe, mad mikey, 427 sleeper and 2 others like this.
  16. Okay, I know that automatic transmissions are for girls, and only real cars have 3 pedals, but here's what's going on. Just got off the phone with one of my buddies and we were talking about my troubles. He told me that he has a 700R4 that came out of his iroc Camaro, that he switched out for a 5 speed. The automatic has a shift kit and Corvette servo, don't know what that changes, but that's what he told me. He said it's been sitting against the wall in his garage for 5 years, but worked perfect when he pulled it out. He did the servo and shift kit when it was in his car. He told me that I'm welcome to it, just come and get it. The 350 turbo in my car is a long tailshaft, and apparently there is only 1/8" difference in length, slip yoke is the same. Only thing is i gotta hook up the TV cable, and figure out my shifter. Should I go get it?

210superair, chryslerfan55 and SS327 like this.
  17. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

what gear you got in rear?

18. Budget36

Budget36

You may have to do a little work for the rear trans mount. I’ve a 700 under the cover, I’ll measure in a bit

Edit: Best I can measure w/o a square is 28 inches from the center of the mount to the BH/block.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  19. 3:42

20. I've never put one in any of my cars, but I've put a few of them in customer cars. I put one in the 39 Chevy sitting here. Just don't know much about them

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Yeah you will be ok with the OD. Hang in there!!!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

Good transmissions. Get the proper setup for the TV cable. If he has the Torque converter there’s a way to wire up the 4th gear solenoid? Or pressure switch? To lock it up only in 4th(OD)
    But I don’t know if the lockup converter will bolt to your flex plate, so you’ll need to investigate that.
    Are the 350/700 using the same spline count for the Yoke?

23. Yeah it's all there, and they share the same spline as the 350 turbo and 4L60. 27 spline. I've got the correct bracket for the TV cable here, I know the geometry is 1" down and 1/2" back from the centerline of the throttle shaft, I've put a few of them in. I measured this one in this car and measured mine, it does look like the rear mount is off but that's no problem to correct. I'm gonna go get it. It's free lol... see what happens next :confused:

24. Kinda like a cat trying to cover up shit on a hot tin roof with pea gravel around here Bruce! But one way or another I'm looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks :D

enloe, Wanderlust and mad mikey like this.
  25. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I cant speak of the technical differences between the two but I'll tell you our 700s have a pretty good gear spread, the overdrive is great on the hwy if you like to cruise at 80. If you have a PG column it can easily be adapted to work the 700.

26. I've got a B&M shifter. It only had one detent in the box.

27. Hell he might have the shifter that came out of his car. I'm waiting for him to get home and I'll be headed that way

28. Or old farts with bad legs. HRP

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

don't you need a way to lock up the convertor at cruise in OD and a way to unlock it when you put on the brakes? I think the computer in the modern cars does that but there must be a way to do it without the computer??

30. Not from what I've read. You can put 12v to it on a toggle switch, or just don't use the lockup. It's still an overdrive, the lockup makes it almost like a 5 speed. I've never wired up the converter on any I've installed. Looks like all I have to do is change the rear mount location. The shifter i have will work but I can't access low gear. It'll work for now