Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Inline 4 options needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lungfish, May 22, 2022.

1. Lungfish

Lungfish

Hello Gang,

I’m doing a kit car build with some restricted engine and transmission space. Also, due to a disability, I’m restricted to using an automatic transmission.

Can any of you recommend a reliable Chevrolet Inline 4 engine that would work with a 350 or 700r4 transmission? I have both transmissions in my garage.

Or, perhaps a Ford Inline 4 that bolts up to a C4 or AOD?

Smaller sized block, the better. Fuel injected would be more preferable, but I’ll look at any option. No power steering pump or AC will be needed. Just water and alternator.

I’m just interested in stock setups. My interest is reliability and simplicity, not brain melting 0-60 acceleration.

Thank

2. squirrel

squirrel

The Chevy II four from the 1960s will bolt to the transmissions you have. The later version of it (2.5 liter) I think will bolt to the smaller 4/V6 bolt pattern 700 (like you'd find in an S-10 in the 1980s).

You might look for a Ford engine in an older Ranger pickup.

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a fan of the Cheyy II 4 banger that Squirrel refers to. It was even available as a 140 Mercruiser boat engin which I believe can be used in a vehicle with some minor changes. Another option is a 2000 cc Pinto which could be had with an automatic. Or finally a non overhead cam 4 banger from a Datsun B210. They came with automatics and hop up parts are available for the A14/A15 versions. Off course now we're moving into OT territory.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

If you want modern, some Mustangs have 4-cylinders in them. Also the new Ranger. Maybe some F-150's. But the automatic trans is huge. Not sure if newer Camaro's offered a 4. Some Silverado's do.

5. squirrel

squirrel

1982 did, same as used in the S-10 I believe. But I think that was the last one.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. That would have been the Iron Duke. Good engines as well

7. speedbump

speedbump

lungfish, im not sure what clearence issues your talking about, but if its front to rear any 4 fly. mtr. be it ford or chevy. both share the same front to rear measurements as there sb counter parts. the width is where you might gain some room. what are you looking to put it into. mike

8. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Ford SOHC with turbo adapts to C4

9. 34Phil

34Phil

If you don't want the weaker auto a Ford 2.3 requires a rare c4 bell or $1000 SFI bellhousing to C4 or $1100 adapter to GM so look for a Chevy II out of a '68-'70 postal Jeep or look for a 3L out of a Toyota or Hyster forklift as chances of finding a Chevy II 4 cyl. will be slim. Ebay has rebuilt long block for $750 but you need to find a wore out one for accessories. I would like to know rates from https://www.instagram.com/classicracingpartsoficial/ in Brazil

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About how heavy is the car in question? (and do not mention what it is if it is not era-correct to the site!)

I ask because the 700R4 has a really deep 4th gear that can be helpful in getting a heavier car moving.

Either way, I am always partial to more gears, and an overdrive, but they are not mandatory to have fun.

We won't be able to cover EFI here, as it is past the era of the board. By direct message, I am always happy to help with that, as are others.

Personally, I would go Ranger or S10, something late 1980's or early 1990's, 2WD, and grab both the engine and transmission from that.

In that era, the S10 would have the 60º bellhousing (FWD-style compact) pattern, which is also handy for taking up less space in the footwell area.

51504bat and Tman like this.