Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Unbelievable!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, May 21, 2022.

1. I would piss down both of my legs if that happened to me. I love Kentucky. They'll title a potato as long as it's not a stolen potato. They get to collect tax money from it.

2. Like it or not these type of people are the reason that cars/parts prices are up AND why shops have work.......it's a yin and yang thing. But you have to know the laws in your state (or pay someone who does)........he should just sell it and buy a Tesla.......sorry I had to say it.

3. Apparently, he wanted the "new car experience" so he bought a vehicle that had never been titled.
    And it just goes downhill from there because his only skill is knowing how to throw money at any and all issues.
    There are other options but he's wearing his own particular, psychological blinders. He doesn't want a quick or temporary solution. He wants a "Calendar Car".

4. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

I bet there is more to this story, that we are not seeing, that was not published.
    I did not see what the car is actually titled as. Maybe the car was built by John Doe hot rod shop and is titled as a 2019 Doe. If that is the case, the car would have to meet 2019 standards for safety and emissions for that State. I have seen them like that and its a REAL PROBLEM that's almost impossible to get around, if at all.

Probably all States have some sort of fender laws to be legal to operate on roadways. Some more strict than others.

Yes, the guy that purchased the car should have done his homework beforehand. So the problem is his fault, not the seller.

The claim that 32 Fords did not have fenders, is inaccurate. Maybe he claims that, maybe the media made that up to spice up the story, who knows. The media is always reporting false statements these days. The media should have investigated the truth, before they reported on another falsehood story.

Calling the guy a goldchainer or such is just bullshit, this kind of stuff could happen to anyone.
    Just because the guy may not want to or be able to do the work himself, does not make him not worthy to own a hotrod.

$10,000.00 to make the car legal, in my opinion is not outrages. The cost for steel fenders, brackets, running boards, headlight bar, paint and all the other stuff involved along with the labor to fit all the stuff, then remove for paint and reinstall has a lot of labor time. Even if he were to go with fiberglass stuff, the parts may be 1/2 the cost of steel or so, but not cheep in any reguard. I don't know what labor is per hour in his area but in my shop in Chicago, its $135.00 per hour.

He made a mistake, not knowing what he was getting into beforehand legal wise, now he either has to make it legal to drive or try to sell it. He will have way more in the car than its worth, but it would be that way either way, if it were a steel or fiberglass car.

Most cars that are built, either professional or home built, are always underwater when it comes time to sell. The only difference between the two is the countless hours of labor time on a home built car are not taken into account when it comes time to sell.

Sure, he could have someone booger on some bogus fenders and such, get it titled and then take them off, but the car would be technically illegal to drive on the roadway based on the laws of that state. Maybe get ticketed, maybe not. Many folks won't take that chance, many will. Its all up to what they are willing to put up with.

In the State of Illinois, cars have to be equipped with what it had originally. A 32 Ford has to have fenders, bumpers the track width of the wheels, wipers, horn, lights, two license plates, antique plates only for use to shows etc. to be technically legal to drive. Illinois does not seem to enforce these laws too strict, I have never had an issue with my stuff, but never drove them home from a tavern at 2:00AM when it closes, or drive them like an asshole. Then they have a good reason to pull you over.

We should all take note of this guys problem and hope that the lawmakers dont start deciding to strictly enforce the laws on the books in an attempt to get all our old, polluting stuff off the roads to save the planet. They are already working on that with the crap gas and its going to get to carburetors won't run on it any more and will have to be converted to fuel injection.

Bill

5. Hm, seems i just quoted the post originally, oops
    Meant to say he could just stick some spindle mounted fenders on it for now.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  6. The most profound reply yet! ;) HRP

SS327 and Tman like this.
  7. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

The economy model did not :eek:

Tman and Budget36 like this.

8. Maybe that explains a lot about the guy!!!

9. A Boner

A Boner

Pretty sure 32 Fords came with fenders. But there was no federal requirement for a car to have fenders until if I remember correctly the late 1940’s!

10. unfortunately, this guy's issue and its attention getting news report, has probably opened the eyes of cops and anti-hot rodders in RI, and will bring unwanted attention to the real rodders in the state.

chryslerfan55, X-cpe and Wanderlust like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If he's got the MSO from the frame, and receipts for the major parts, this could be registered and titled properly in California.

Most inspectors will look the other way on the fenders and bumpers, too.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this the way to the bathroom?

jimmy six and Tman like this.
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call this guy a whaambulance. Or get him a whaamburger and a side of cries.

This shit is like a virus. "HEY! LOOK AT ME! I HAVE A PROBLEM AND I'M TOO STOOPID TO FIGURE IT OUT! NOT MY FAULT!"

14. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Not all states have the same requirements for title/registration.

We built a non-fendered hot rod in 2009 which had to be inspected at DMV and assigned a state identification number as it was built with new frame. It used a pre-‘67 motor so the title reads; “smog exempt, 2009 assembled vehicle”. Legal here and on the road with no hassle since built.

It pays to know the law in the state or country before buying or building. If the buyer in this case did not know the law in his state the seller has little responsibility.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and jimmy six like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

So glad we don't have to fool with all that shit to get one on the road here. Any dumbass with a paper sack bill of sale can get a license plate for just about anything that will run at least 45 MPH. If it's over 35 years old it doesn't need a title. As long as it resembles what it's claimed to be, they'll tag it, no matter if it's an original steel body or one made out of paper and Elmer's glue. It's all about the money.....

The37Kid and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  16. SR100

SR100

I'm confused. I thought Rhode Island enacted a version of the SEMA model Street Rod/Custom Vehicle Legislation in 2004. That allows the user to title the car as the year it resembles. In RI it would have to have a street rod plate and isn't for daily drivers. Section 4 is the part that should have been his get-out-of-jail-free card:
    Unless the presence of the equipment was specifically required by a statute of
    this state as a condition of sale in the year listed as the year of manufacture on the
    certificate of title, the presence of any specific equipment is not required for the
    operation of a vehicle registered under this section.​

chryslerfan55 and jimmy six like this.
  17. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

@SR100 this is probably the best reply on this thread and its funny how many self proclaimed "knowledgeable old school hotrodders" are on here when they too could fall very easily into default non-compliance on title and registration laws. The SEMA/ Factory Five bill that was passed at a state and (I believe) federal level ,made, apart from a ton of other messes, a 17-digit vin mandatory on ALL vehicles registered/ titled on the street. To be honest I don't even like talking about it as it might bring the conversation to the wrong listeners. This bill had good intentions for bringing a hotrod company's product to the national sales floor but missed its mark and created a nightmare situation for anyone who owns an old car. At an open forum RMV meeting on this subject apparently I asked too many questions and told I was overreacting to probabilities that wouldn't ever happen... alas, here we are.

chryslerfan55 and A Boner like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am so glad that I live in California.

Sure, other states are nice too, but I can get a car like this one titled and registered as what it appears to be, without much fuss,, provided that the paperwork for the parts used was retained.

Save for reckless driving, and exhibitions of speed, the cops here don't give a rats patootie about fenders, bumpers, horns, lights in the daytime, wipers, or even windshields (in some cases).

We don't have annual safety inspections, and smog is 1976-and-up.

19. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Still a massive freedom compared to building a vehicle for road use in the UK (BIVA points system) or attempting to persuade the TÜV office in Germany.

Be thankful the system even allows you the freedom, even if it comes with provisos.

It's people like this being stupid and trying to bend the rules that get the limitations put in place in the first instance.

Phil

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built a car that managed to get through TÜV inspection.

It took an English-language translation of the regulations, and months of research to even get started.

It was hardcore, but that is what it takes when there are rules to comply with. It is no different here, in theory, just the laws are different.

chryslerfan55, VANDENPLAS and PhilA like this.
  21. SR100

SR100

I was referring to the SEMA Model Street Rod/Custom Vehicle Bill, which predates Factory Five by a few years. It was intended to streamline registering cars that were built before 1949 but modified; or built to resemble pre-1949 cars from new or mixed parts. The Small Volume Manufacturer's Act (which I believe you are referencing), which is much more recent, covers replicas of cars 25 years or older.
    The model bill was intended for car owners, the newer bill for small manufacturers.

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  22. indyjps

indyjps

Trailers fenders and some tubing. Bolt it on, get it registered, unbolt them and drive to his favorite car show.

By calling the news, he's just fucking all the other non fender guys out there.

'28phonebooth likes this.
  23. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This looks to be a story from a local news radio station. Radio reporting is about as deep as the tread on a 40-year-old bias ply. It would have taken just a couple minutes to determine the owner was full of it on OEM fenders, and from there a real reporter would have looked up and cited the state laws and exceptions and how they apply in this case.

At that point the reporter would realize that the actual headline should be: “Local Rich Guy Discovers Laws Apply To Him, Gets In a Huff.”

I’m not going to infer anything about the car hobby from this bucket of tripe. My takeaway is how social media and quick-take so-called news outlets are killing proper journalism.

24. birdman1

birdman1

Move to Kansas

twenty8 likes this.
  25. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kansas? i've shared the story about the fella who moved to kansas with a restored corvette. it was found that the rivets for the vin plate were not correct, so the state impounded the car and intends to destroy it!

26. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

Now that you mention it I did title a car in California because Arizona was giving me a headache. It cost me a few bucks but I got a title.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"The Three Little Pigs" and "Cinderella" are stories too, but they never really happened.

Please share the story again and cite the source if you can.

chryslerfan55 and chopped like this.
  28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

29. It all comes down to a thing most of us should have learned from dad and or grandads............."don't be a dumbass"

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, I guess I wasn't aware. I've licensed all kinds of vehicles with questionable authenticity here in Kansas. He must have had an inspector who looked at things a lot closer than any that I've run in to.

@dan c I apologize for doubting the validity of the story, and hope I didn't ruffle your feathers as much as I did the guy from Arkansas.