Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pinion Mounted Emergency Brake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, May 22, 2022.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I built my '26T with the GM metric calipers on the rear that have the built-in parking ebrake. I could never get them to work correctly. I replaced them with non ebrake calipers, so now I have no parking brake. The lever and cables are there, but not hooked to anything now. Due to several reasons, I can't install a second caliper at the wheels for ebrake use. I am contemplating using a pinion mounted e brake. There are a couple of kits out there to accomplish this. Anybody used the pinion mount? One of those kits? It seems to me that the pinion mounted brake should be at least as good as the standard wheel mounted ebrake due to the rear end gear ratio. What are your experiences?
    Oh yeah! My rear end is a 9" Ford with 1310 u-joints.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Belle53

Belle53

I have one on my ‘28 Tudor , bought the kit from a place in Colorado called The Street Rod mfg. works great, happy with it

3. Belle53

Belle53

4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Driveline parking brakes work well when maintained. The downside is not having any redundancy like you do with a brake at each wheel. Did you ever determine what the problem was with the GM calipers? Mayby they didn't like being bolted to the Ford !! Since you are running a 9 inch I would mount some Explorer brakes. The parking brake function on them works well. Or just some good drum brakes. I don't understand the need for rear disks.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  6. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That could have been the problem.LOL. But more likely is the GM engineers are smarter than I am. They made them work. You have to rotate the piston in the caliper body to adjust it. I never could get it right.

7. Belle53

Belle53

Wow,prices have gone up a bit since I bought mine

8. jaracer

jaracer

The only problem with driveline parking brakes is that the differential may still allow the car to roll. If one wheel is on a slippery surface, it can allow that wheel to turn backwards as the other wheel allows the car to roll. Not as much of a problem if you have a positraction differential.

With that said, Chrysler used driveline parking brakes on cars a trucks for many years.

jaw22w, SS327 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Not a problem in this case. It has an Eaton Truetrac.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. A lot of big forklifts and heaven equipment use pinion mounted parking brakes .

the brake rotor used is a tiny little thing that looks like it would of come off an 80’s hatch back with a cable actuated caliper .

If this set up can hold a 20,000 lbs or bigger piece of equipment it should work just fine to keep your tub stoped safely .

it’s like anything keep the caliper pivots clean and lubricated and simply use the thing and you should have 0 issues .

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not sure that this is a problem with with anything that you are doing.

These calipers were just fine when they were brand new. I have had instances of finding fresh rebuilds "pre-jammed" in the box, and had to refuse them at the counter.

You have one of the easiest rear axles to set up with a pinion-mounted parking brake. I'd just do that.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Mine has a caliper like this. It's not very strong. I wouldn't call it an emergency brake as in your title, doesn't slow the car down very fast, but it will hold it at an uphill stop light.

[​IMG]

MO_JUNK, jaw22w and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah. I'm going to go with the pinion mount. I like the TSM design. It appears that they won't take an online order. I like that. They want to talk to you. It's also the least expensive of the 3 or 4 I have seen.

14. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I don't think any of them anymore are actually worthy of being called EMERGENCY brakes. That TSM appears to have a larger caliper. But yeah, I don't expect to be using it for drifting!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Depending on what you are using it for, there's also hydraulic locks for the existing brakes, both electric and manual. I have an electric lock on my daily, dashboard switch. I use it when I open my gate, which is on a slant.

Screenshot 2022-05-22 2.14.40 PM.png

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^
    I like this idea, manual set up preferred IMO.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Given the enumerable variations of yokes that Ford used on the 9-inch over the years, they might just want to make sure that what they are selling you will actually work.

XXL__ likes this.
  18. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Is that an adapter plate bolted to the back of the yoke at the ujoint saddle bolts, then the disc bolted to the adapter plate? Looking at the picture of the TSM unit, the disc is bolted directly to the backside of the yoke. That adapter looks kind of superfluous.
    I'm wondering about either way ending up with a true running disc. Is the back of the yoke machined true enough to accept the disc, or would I be into a shimming project to get the disc to run true?
    My lift is occupied with an immoveable object right now, or I would check it out. I ain't crawling under it.

19. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The back side of the yoke, if it uses u-bolts, is milled flat so that the nuts and washers load evenly.

If it is a yoke with threaded holes, I do not know for sure. It is a minor milling operation if it is not.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't know, mine doesn't have a separate plate. The disc fits over the yoke, then turns 90 degrees and bolts right to the back of the yoke like Gimpy said. It's on an 8" Ford.

22. Most of the 2 ton trucks for years had the emergency brake in a drum on the rear of the trans. I wouldn't tell you that they would stop a truck from 60 mph but I never had a problem with holding the truck on a hill. The pinion mount has the advantage of the gear ratio to amplify it's holding power.

23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Should be defined as a PARKING BRAKE . As discussed

Beanscoot likes this.
  24. Mimilan

Mimilan

Why don't you forget this idea ^^^ [re-engineering the driveline] and simply install a Hydraulic handbrake.

Competition Rally cars have been doing this for Decades
    They call it a "Fly-off handbrake" [The only difference is they don't have a ratchet mechanism]
    It comes in handy when performing the "Scandinavian Flick" into corners.

You need a remote reservoir type master cylinder plumbed inline into the rear brake circuit .
    The outlet port goes to the brakes.
    The reservoir port goes to the M/C side.

When the Park brake is not in use, the M/C is flow though.
    When you pull the park brake the M/C blocks off the reservoir port.

upload_2022-5-23_11-5-25.png

upload_2022-5-23_11-7-6.png

A Hydraulic handbrake can hold a car for months without issues
    This is very common in NZ where Hydraulic surge brakes are used on trailers [boat] and they all have a handbrake lever.

Note: I've also seen them plumbed into the front brake circuit as well which makes it useful for doing or controlling burnouts /skids .
    Front or Rear handbrakes are just as efficient as parkbrakes

jaw22w likes this.
  25. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That's interesting. I always see the drifters on TV using the rear brake with the lever. Didn't know how it was plumbed. So is the remote MC something special to allow the flow through or would any MC work? The only downside I see is if you have a leak in the rear system you lose both braking and parking brake. I think I will stick with a mechanical system. I'm not going to be performing any "Scandinavian Flicks" with my Model T. I would wind up on my head.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  26. Mimilan

Mimilan

The M/C you need is a normal Single piston remote reservoir type.
    And Ironically it can be any bore size as it doesn't affect normal Front/Rear brake bias.
    upload_2022-5-23_14-16-8.png
    The important thing needed is a return spring so the M/C can fully retract to allow normal braking.

If you had a leak, The Handbrake lever travel would give you an early warning whereas sometimes you can leave a car parked for a while and don't notice a leak until you move the vehicle.

The wheel cylinders /calipers also seal better with a bit of pressure on them. So if you were to have a leak, the probability is more likely to be the front circuit.

On hydraulic surge brake trailers we pack a bit of "rubber grease" behind the rubber boot because the trailer is left outside exposed to the weather for months [they don't fail]

This is the most common surge brake coupler in Australia and NZ
    upload_2022-5-23_14-24-17.png

Don't be too scared of "Scandinavian Flicks" or Handbrake and J turns :D:D
    A car doesn't "fall over" unless it is tripped up.[stay away from curbs when trying to impress the ladies:p]

27. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

In Australia those hydraulic trailer brake cylinders were either 5/8" or 3/4" GIRLOCK clutch or brake master cylinders.
    Readily available in the 70's but probably like rocking horse sh!t these days, they were predominately from English Ford models (Cortina).

Mimilan likes this.
  28. Mimilan

Mimilan

Still the most common sizes, but now made from Chinesium [They're about $20 NZ pacific pesos]
    They ain't worth rebuilding [new is cheaper than a kit]

29. Hydraulic handbrakes and pinion handbrakes are not legal in Australia on cars.
    Pinion brakes are accepted where a Manufacturer fits them but not on a modified vehicle.
    We live by very different rules Downunder!
    Interestingly the commonest surge brakes here are cable to discs.
    I use a pair of trailer callipers on my rear axle (as well as the original ones) to have a legal emergency/parking brake.