Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Derrick Boyle, May 21, 2022.

1. Derrick Boyle

Derrick Boyle

I have a good air dryer at my compressor and a water separator at the end of hose, I noticed when spraying off black primer with pointed air nozzle when I let off the trigger I see a little bit of moisture, I don't know if it's because my garage is colder than outside or what? Any ideas,

2. Your seperater has to be located as far away from your compressor as possible. That gives the moisture in the air enough time to cool down and turn back into water so that the seperater can do its job. I guess that makes sense, I'm not good at explaining things lol.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    427 sleeper, SS327 and hrm2k like this.
  3. I also use the orange moisture traps on my guns.

4. Derrick Boyle

Derrick Boyle

I will try this and see if it works thanks

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.

5. Are you sure it's not oil? With all your paint issues I wonder if oil may be getting into your tank. I have seen guys chase stuff for weeks only to find out their compressor was shot.

SS327 and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  6. He's right, I've seen guys try to paint a car that had an inline oiler lol. Take your blow gun and blow air into a clean white rag, see what you come up with.

deathrowdave and SS327 like this.
  7. Derrick Boyle

Derrick Boyle

I did the white cloth, no stain. The compressor is a year old. I can only see a speck of moisture with the needle tip blow gun. When I pull off the needle tip I see nothing. I have new hoses also

SS327 likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have refrigerated air dryer at my compressor, and a water trap, and I still use orange moisture traps on my gun.

9. jazz1

jazz1

I never have had moisture issues. Water separator is 15' copper pipe from compressor. I forgot to put on the red moisture trap today...still no issues.

10. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can make a low buck refridgerated drier by coiling an air hose off your compressor in a bucket of ice and then to your water trap. It will cool the air so the moisture precipitates out into your water trap/separator. It works really well in hot humid conditions.

Attached Files:

2Blue2 likes this.
  11. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s way too simple and logical to work.

John

12. Lol sometimes it's the simplest things ain't it? You compress air, it gets hot, and water turns to vapor, the seperater can't efficiently remove what is more/ less steam in the line. But as the air travels through the plumbing it cools, and turns back to water, so the farther away from the compressor the seperater is, the better it works, at least that's the way I was taught. Years ago when I owned a big shop in grayson, I had an after dryer setup, lot of money, but it worked. Divorce forced the sell of everything. Now I have basic stuff, but I average spraying paint a couple times a week, and moisture is never a problem. And the moisture filter on the gun is cheap insurance when it comes to having to respray something because of moisture. I think they are $6 each at my supplier, and I'll change it every time I spray. But I keep the old one and use it on my primer guns. I drain my tank every morning, and drain my seperater multiple times a day in this weather. Preventing problems is easy easier and cheaper than fixing them.

Almostdone, gimpyshotrods and SS327 like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are really hard at it, and live in a damp climate, there are auto-drains for compressor tanks for not a whole lot scratch.

I leave my auto drain on 24-7, even when the compressor is off. One second of open drain, every 4-minutes.

I think it was about $80.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  14. Funny part being, I just started spraying primer on a tailgate and had moisture in it lmao! Just had to start laughing.... changed the filter on the gun and it went away. Tank is drained, seperater is drained, but it's humid as hell here today!

15. Derrick Boyle

Derrick Boyle

Guys I want to thank everyone for there ideas, found my problem to be water out of the gun and a cheap home depot hvlp. I purchased a medium range gun and a top of line air dryer and the paint and clear are finally going on good, Thanks again.

K13 likes this.