Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help Needed--Engine "Stuck"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AVater, May 21, 2022.

1. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I have been driving my coupe around quite a bit lately and took it out to Colchester a couple of nights ago for a local event and drove home just fine about 40 mile round trip. Seemed to run very well. Parked the car in the garage and everything was wonderful. This morning, I went to start the car to move it, and thinking it was pretty warm, did not use the choke. Car fired but stalled out pretty quick. No obvious "bad sounds". Tried to restart the car and nothing happened except a loud click from the solenoid. Ok, given I had the headlights on when coming home, thought to check the battery and it seemed fine. What the heck, put a charger on anyway for a bit. Still nothing but a loud click.

Here comes the scary part-- I tried rocking the car back and forth in gear and the crankshaft pully does not budge. I can roll the car in neutral.

This be an issue involving the starter gear jammed against the flywheel? Can something like this happen? Would that act to lock up the engine? OR Am I looking at a bigger engine related problem? :( Sorry as I didn't have enough time on my own today to do a fuller investigation.

Ok some details: 8CM Flathead engine with standard issue flathead starter. Been driving the car for about 10K miles since engine and starter rebuilt. Posted a quick pic of the engine as everyone seems to ask.:p

Your insight and advice very welcome and thank you in advance!
    photo (10).JPG

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take the starter out and try again to nudge it back and forth in gear.

3. squirrel

squirrel

before you do that, try putting it in high gear, and pushing the car backwards a bit. Might unstick it if the drive is stuck.

ottoman, 41 coupe, 302GMC and 4 others like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my experience anyways, parts of an engine that can break in a way that will outright stop the engine from turning, have a tendency to do that when the engine is under load, often leaving ventilation or observation ports in inopportune locations, not while sitting parked.

For that reason I would suspect the starter drive.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Starter is probably stuck due to not enough amps when you tried to start it. Starter on my old IH tractor would do that if the battery was low. I'd loosen it up, and you could hear the Bendix jump back in place.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  6. Ford flatheads are notorious for jamming the starter drive. Rocking usually works, or just un bolt the starter and wiggle it around then bolt it back up.

7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thank you all! May not get to this right away but will report back what I find. Seemed hard to think there could be engine damage given what seemed to happen.

Quick follow up Q: Is it likely the stater can be re-used or would odds be that it will need to be rebuilt?

8. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I’m guessing starter drive is stuck in the flywheel. As said above rock it back and forth in high gear and it should pop loose

AVater likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

fun fact: MG in the instruction manual for the T series cars mentions that occasionally you'll have to unstick the starter, as a normal thing. They use the same type drive as the flathead Ford.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

When I got my ‘48 F1 it came with a 289 and a C4 transmission. Guy said he and his son said the engine was locked up . I removed the starter bolts , dropped the starter off and bingo free as a bird. Told him that . Umpphhh was the eloquent answer . :D

Tman and AVater like this.
  11. BJR

BJR

Don't overlook the fact that it could also be hydro locked due to the float sticking and flooding the cylinders with gas. If removing the starter doesn't free it up, try removing the spark plugs and see if the cylinders are full of gas.

bchctybob, olscrounger and Wanderlust like this.
  12. manyolcars

manyolcars

same thing if a cylinder is filled with water and that can happen overnight. take the plugs out and see if it will spin

BJR likes this.
  13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not likely since he said this in his post:

"Car fired but stalled out pretty quick."

AVater, BJR and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  14. manyolcars

manyolcars

you're right. thanks

AVater likes this.
  15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Pull the plugs and try it
    I’d too guess it’s the starter jammed.

AVater likes this.
  16. Pete, let me know what you find out.

AVater likes this.
  17. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

you may have a hydraulic cylinder

olscrounger likes this.
  18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a good clue in his original post that pretty much would eliminate this as a possibility.

AVater likes this.
  19. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I’ve had Flathead starters do that 3rimes to me in the last 10 years or so. Sometimes I was able to rock it loos another time I had to remove the starter.

AVater likes this.
  20. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thank you again for all the responses!
    Based on the fact that I could not rock it loose, I worked to remove the starter. It would not budge after taking the field case off until applying some leverage from the chain wrench. It then popped right out.
    Seems to look good and drive and gears all seem to be smooth. Is it ok to just reinstall as I can see no obvious problems?
    Thank you again!

15D9C54B-CE67-4B4A-8B14-2209A24D4F89.jpeg

41 GMC K-18 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Does the engine roll over with starter out?

22. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

oops—yes it does! Thank you.

gimpyshotrods and Budget36 like this.
  23. jaracer

jaracer

I think I'd take a good look at the bushings. It looks like the armature has been dragging on the pole shoes.

gimpyshotrods and AVater like this.
  24. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Replace the starter. Why dick around with an old starter that has already shown you it's going to have issues. They aren't all that much and trust me when I say the next time it won't be so convenient when it decides to break down.

25. Pete, be thankful it happened at home, not at one of your trips to the Hemmings cruise.

26. 4ty

4ty

Before you reinstall it clean the bendix and the spiral, they should be dry.
    Paul in CT

27. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Nick, you got that right!

Paul,
    Thanks & will do if I keep it but likely to replace it.

Gordon, excellent point!

GordonC and gimpyshotrods like this.
  28. Replace the starter if you want, but that's not why they jam. It's because the teeth on the flywheel ring gear are buggered up and the bendix doesn't mesh like it should every time.

AVater likes this.
  29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good news that it turns over . Good to advice to check the ring gear.

bobss396, AVater and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  30. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Quick update:
    Looked at the flywheel to the best of my ability and it seemed ok as I looked at it in a number of different spots. Frankly not sure what I am looking for but nothing obviously wrong stood out to me.

Replaced the starter with another used one I had as a spare and the car cranked and started a number of times. I understand that if one tooth is AFU, there is a "Russian Roulette" potential in play and I missed that bad tooth.

At this point the plan is to obtain another "good" starter and I will have the one I pulled looked over by the person who rebuilt it for me 10 years ago to have on hand in my "parts department". When I talked with him today, he noted that if the front bushing is worn, that can increase the odds that there could be a jam up issue. If needed, that will be addressed.

Once more: Thank you all for your advice & suggestions!