Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Get a filter and pan gasket incase thats all you need. Drop the pan and see what things look like. Hope it is just a simple quick fix.

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Packing House church. Redlands

3. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

4. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

Maybe last guy that put filter on, just didnt tighten the bolts and they fell out.

5. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Well really they aren't even bolts, they are a slotted head machine screw.

mad mikey, SS327 and sidewayzz69 like this.
  6. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

Yea, I think they are 1/4-20 by 3/8" long

7. Well it wasn't the case. Filter is in the correct spot. Pan has pieces of metal in it, magnet won't pick them up, guess its aluminum. I'll pull it tmrw and drop it at the transmission shop Monday. 20220521_151823.jpg 20220521_151828.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Better now than later.

10. Did I read a few post back,,,,that it had been gone through before you got it by a transmission guy ?
    And that it was a fresh rebuild ?

Tommy

11. No sir. This transmission popped up on Craigslist one night for $100. I needed one for Ashley's truck so I called him and told him I'd take it. Went the next morning and got it. He pulled it out of his AD truck in favor of a 700R4. I told him it's worth $100 for a core, he said it works, but do what you want. When I was putting the car together, I grabbed this transmission out of the building. Randy the transmission guy pulled in the driveway to drop off seats, and as we talked, he said he would check it out for me if I wanted him to take it to the shop. I opted to roll the dice lol. I lost. The guy I bought it from told me it had a shift kit in it. It's all good. Just part of this whole game. I could push the car in the garage and sit in a chair and look at it, but I'm not that type. If I put the last bolt in as Ashley is loading our luggage, this car is making the trip to Bowling Green Kentucky ;):D

12. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

I hate it. But better than letting go on the way to HRR. Good luck with it bud.

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Seems like something always jumps up and bites you when your in a hurry to get something finished on time. Does me anyway. Seemed like I would have everything perfect and ready to load the racecar up and bam, the tow vehicle would blow up, have a flat tire or some stupid deal. Hang in there Lloyd you will prevail. :)

14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a Friggin' mess! One Goddam thing after the other... Thing's like this is the reason I drink! :mad: (Well, not the real reason but it add's to it! LOL!!!) I hope Randy can get it hammered out for you! :cool:

15. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe take both transmissions in, the other might be better/ok.

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That looks like a pan of christmas fudge I made (or attempted to) one time.

17. SS327

SS327

I see a big chunk of aluminum. Not good, take them both with you, may need a case. Sorry to see that. I take back 1 goofy thing I said about you. Hope that makes you feel better at least. :oops:

18. SOB. Damnit . Looks terrible in the pan. I know you are on a mission Lloyd. My guess is you will overcome this set back. Chin up big guy!

19. Damn right man! Just more money lol... the only thing I've never attempted to do, or desired to know, is how to rebuild an automatic transmission. Hopefully this doesn't hit my wallet very hard.

20. Time for a rebuilt TH 350. If you can swing it ,also get a manual shift set up. Not hard or expensive when the trans is apart.

sidewayzz69, SS327 and 427 sleeper like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Drive up here and I will give you the th 350 I took out of my Chevelle when I put the 4 speed in it

22. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An automatic isn't as complicated as you think. But cleanliness is a major factor! If you can get the counter gear in a 4 speed, you can rebuild an automatic, just gotta pay attention to EVERYTHING!!! ;):D:cool:

23. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I bought a TH350 for a core once that looked a lot like that. My friend and trans guy speculated that someone had tried to swap a Metric 200 for the 350 and used the 200 converter. He said that doesn't work and makes a lot of shavings.

Gary

24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

But Look at the fun you are having,making new friends!! Hang in there buddy. Right now both my elkys are down. Might be in my truck at B G

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just spend the money you would have spent on the rebuild on putting the 4 speed in it.... automatics are for girls

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

Looks to me like you beat the odds. You could have been 1/2 way to the show and be sitting along the side of it with your dead trans. Just up the road from home is about the best place for it to die. Might not seem like it now, but trust me on this one, it had good timing to die where it did, if it was going to die.

I had a torque converter come apart on the inside once. Acted about the same way yours did, just suddenly quit moving. If I let it sit a few minutes, it would go again for a while before it quite moving again. I nursed that ride home, about 4 miles from where it started acting up. When I dropped that trans pan, everything was heavily coated with bright shiny aluminum dust, and had chunks of aluminum and brass in the pan! A major cleanup, a new converter, and a basic trans rebuild kit got me back on the road with that one.

As suggested by others, take your old trans with you, it might be cheaper to rebuild that one.

27. Budget36

Budget36

^^^^. This.
    What do you need for the 4sp conversion?

28. Good deal Lloyd,,,,at least you are not out nothing really.
    You bought it as a core really,,,,,,so at least you found out early !
    Good luck buddy,,,,,like they said,,,,,automatics are really pretty simple.
    I was terrified of them a few years ago,,,,,,,but I didn’t have any choice,,,I had to figure it out .
    After that,,,,,it was like,,,,is this it ?
    I don’t know all the tricks by any means,,,,,,but,,,I’ve done several now,,,,,they all have worked fine and held up all this time .
    Your tranny guy should have it done in a few days,,,,not much to them,,,,,as long as not many hard parts are destroyed,,,,and replacements are in stock near by .

Tommy

29. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Yup, reminds me of mine when it came apart... Poor luck but it could've been a $400 gamble and did the same thing so I guess look at it that way?

Sorry I don't have anything spare here for you.

Phil

30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Mark, you just said what I wanted to say and would have said if I had the guts to say it. :D