Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 9 inch assembly ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, May 18, 2022.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The radius (curve) of the tooth would differ.

427 sleeper likes this.
  2. SS327

SS327

I have a question. Why do you need a crush sleeve at all? Me and a buddy did a 8 3/4” mopar without one. Just paying attention to the amount of torque it took to turn the pinion gear. It was quiet. Raced on weekends and driven daily. No problems for 10 or so years. We also have reused crush sleeves. Honed bearings for a light press fit. Also no problems. Ford, Chrysler and GM. Anyone see any flaws in this logic. Or did we really just get lucky?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank You for the info.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I have never heard of mismatching ring and pinions. I was always told they were machined and lapped together. It’s difficult enough to get one to be perfectly quiet after set up. I can’t imagine what one sounds like that is mismatched.

gimpyshotrods and SS327 like this.
  5. The crush sleeve keeps tension on the opposing bearing cones while allowing for adequate torque on the pinion nut. In theory, tightening the pinion nut just enough to get the correct pre-load without the sleeve will work, as long as the nut doesn't loosen. Using a spacer and shims in place of the sleeve works well, and I used to do that when building 9s for the 4x4 boys with monster tires.
    There is no flaw in your logic provided the pinion nut stays tight. I'd say you got lucky.

SS327 likes this.
  6. SS327

SS327

That’s what we thought. With red Loc-Tite on a new pinion nut we never had a problem. Some were in cars for over 100,000 miles.

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

It's pretty easy to set up a solid spacer by the old-school way, just correctly set it up with a crush spacer, pull it apart and carefully measure the spacer, then make a solid spacer the same thickness. A quick way to set up backlash for a stock pattern, turn the spanners until the the R&P are snug with each other, then put all the preload in with the off-side spanner, and usually the backlash will be very close

SS327 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Only thing the crush sleeve does is keep preload on the bearings and keep the nut from coming loose. You can red loctite it with proper preload and probably have no issues. I’ve honed bearings as well. Especially on Dana rears. No problem there.

SS327 likes this.
  9. SS327

SS327

Other than getting the ring gear in and out of the case I like the Dana 60. Thanks for the answers guys. That was our thinking back then.

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wonder how many rupees it cost for that "precision work"? No measurements needed.
    That's 3rd World technology where you do want you can do with what you have and what you can afford.
    America is Blessed.
    Got to love the "chain" handle on the chipping hammer.

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

I got it now. Too bad I just ordered a ring and pinion a few hours ago. I could have probably just started making my own gearsets!:eek::oops::confused:o_O

Lynn

Last edited: May 21, 2022