Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects First time radius and flares

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearsforguts, May 18, 2022.

1. Apple Green is a factory Ford color and very traditional.

[​IMG]

2. NoelC

NoelC

Splitting hairs. Like owning a standard that came with black wheels and painting them a factory color to delux it, flaring those wheel arches is akin to body customizing. That has to be traditional something? I give him full credit that he's doing it. Hoorah! Atta boy and carry on.

3. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

Thank you . There is a thread dedicated to gasser falcons that pretty much all have radioused and some flared wheel wells. I'm still confused.

VANDENPLAS, hotrodjack33 and Blues4U like this.
  4. Don't sweat the naysayers, Falcons are a part of the hamb. HRP

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In @manyolcars defense, a lot of us guys prefer the slightly OT (1969-70) Ford grabber green which "pops" a little more than the old (grayish) Ford Apple Green ;) 32.jpg 36b.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

As you've seen, most guys are supportive of your project, don't let the curmudgeon's get you down. That particular guy does this a lot, he likes to piss in other people's Wheaties, ignore him.

7. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Good job on those flares. A word of advice -don’t let the tiresome comments of a very small minority stop you from hanging around here and having fun with your car. Again, good job.

Chief 64, swade41, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grow some skin! And the thicker the better on here. I don't subscribe to the kindler, gentler world. Participation trophies are for kindergarteners. Adversity and trials build character and character builds cool cars. The flared "Millennial Falcon" is cool and the fact that you did the work in your drive is cooler even still. Stand tall.

BUT, don't post up your work if you only want happy, joy, joy comments from everyone. I like guys that speak from the heart and leave the filter for PTA meetings and Tupperware parties. Theirs is truly the best advice.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Thanks!

gearsforguts likes this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I like truth also, but when somebody speaks from the heart and is just trying to be negative, then it is just being rude, not truthful. Used to be far too much of that here, and it ran newbies away because some guys thought it was fun to attack people and make themselves feel superior.

11. The truth? That falcon is far more 70s/early 80s low buck Street Freak style than it is a pre 65 build. I have the AutoBuff magazines to prove it ;)

12. Nice job, OP! :cool::cool::cool:

Side note: I swear to god, sometimes I wish Ryan would flag the word "traditional" and not allow it to be used in the open forum. Some of you gasholes all sound like a broken record. And you use that word to beat others down and run people off because they may not totally align to YOUR understanding of that word.

I mean... Yeah, yeah, we get it... You're the freakin' KING of Hot Rodding and are the pinnacle to which all others are to be compared! High Praise to you. All hail the KING of tradition. You WIN! Okay?!? There... it's in writing. Happy now? Jesus wept. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe go start your own forum and use an acronym for the title like this site does. Maybe call it something like Curmudgeons Union of Nationalistic Traditional Standards -or- Traditionalists United Rebuilding Derelict Stuff. I dunno. But anyplace other than here would be awesome!

In short... go fuck off somewhere else.

Keep up the good work, OP! And don't let ANYONE derail what you're doing.

Texas57, treb11, swade41 and 9 others like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Falcon was built in 1960.
    The wheels were first sold in 1964.
    The front axle is a functional duplicate of an early Ford beam.
    This site has plenty of examples of cars from racing in the early 60's that were 4-door, and running much this same suspension.
    This site has plenty of examples of cars from racing in the early 60's that show multiple opening side exhaust.

So what does that leave? A few things in the engine compartment that are two "new" to fit into the HAMB-era?

This site has plenty of examples of those, too.

So what does he need to do? Put in a Copper and brass radiator, swap back to a generator, and put on some 9-fin Corvette valve covers?

SS327, deadbeat, Chicster and 7 others like this.
  14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Think what you like. The HAMB has a whole thread dedicated to Falcon gassers, with plenty of similar style builds. But just a few people here who seem dead set on derailing this guy's build.
    I hope the OP doesn't let those few chase him away.

15. Not judging, just posting the truth. Flares, 50 series white letters, Cragars, underhood goodies all build a package that fits a time frame much later.

And just like a bad book, you can always take something away. In this case, I found many sources for those flares. I could see building an OT canyon carver with those on all 4 corners to play on our mountain roads around here.

And the OP took what many thought was going to be a train wreck and did a nice install.

16. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

1C2BFCF6-564F-4B2C-B117-DEFF83769EF9.jpeg
    Good Job Op.
    Cast or Forged ,,
    Take & start to drill a hole , if it drills with "slivers" its steel ,
    If powder like its cast ,
    This is FoMoCo Apple Green

Attached Files:

gearsforguts likes this.
  17. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

18. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

Here are some pictures of the fenderwell headers I built for the car. received_2187816704848616.jpg received_590892264843251.jpg received_533031357347893.jpg received_837228066705120.jpg received_541843149784986.jpg

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice work! Glad this became a "Featured" post.

Bob

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed!!! The earlier "hoodlum attitude" years of the HAMB caused it to develope a BAD REPUTAION of being an unpleasant place to be. Just wasn't a comfortable place for good, hardworking, family guys that built hot rods. Sadly, that old reputation still follows it even today. Of the 30 plus hardcore hot rodders in my club, I'm the only one who's bothered to give the (mellower) HAMB a second look, and joined (after 15 years of just lurking).

21. Au contraire, many of us consider that so called bad reputation a good filter. I am 52 now and used to chuckle at folks that steered clear of me at an event like I was some hoodlum 20 years ago when they saw my HAMB Tshirt. Even made a post to that effect back then.

48fordnut, deadbeat and hotrodjack33 like this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Think you are right. I would question anything you bolted on the Falcon such as steering, suspension and brakes that came from them including the steering column.

gearsforguts likes this.
  23. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

Only thing that was from that company would be the axle. The column and steering box are the falcons original units. I an gonna look in to this axle and maybe replace it.

SS327 likes this.
  24. If you do, original ford axles are where I’d start looking

SS327, deadbeat and gearsforguts like this.
  25. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

I have a stock model A axle. But will need a dropped type so it sits the way I want.

26. gearsforguts likes this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okie Joe does my dropped Model A axles. He works in conjunction with Nostalgia Sid's on that particular model.

At least he did. I cannot seem to get his website open. I hope we did not lose him.

gearsforguts likes this.
  28. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly my point! What was fascination, or why was it considered cool for 30, 40, 50 year olds to act (pretend) to be sullen, outcast, teenage hoodlums, when if fact, the majority were just regular hot rod guys? Does building a car from "that" era require you to be something you're not...a poser?

29. We were building real hotods and listening to great music and not concerned with cheesy poodle skirts and fuzzy dice. Even my almost 80 year old dad hates current the Car show scene , crybaby doll culture and loved what this board represents. He just helped me drag home a 283 that another newer member here professed that it was outdated and under powered. Look at the bottom of this and every page.FTW

Attached Files:

SS327 and deadbeat like this.