Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The "Whatever" project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave G in Gansevoort, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Yeah I know. I went down that rabbit hole a couple of days ago! But what do you think about his knobly knees?

Picked up the new plate this am. That was at 9 am, it's now 11:28 and it's still resting in the back of my daily driver, waiting for me to finish my 1st coffee of the day...

As you can see, I'd procrastinate if I wasn't so lazy!

2. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

I suppose if you don't procrastinate today, how could you keep your streak going? You can always procrastinate tomorrow, but today - boy, today is quickly disappearing!

By the way, whatever happened to your Round Tuit? Do you need another one for your birthday this year?

3. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Well I picked up the new tooling plate today, and some more short cutoff sections of steel. I'm in the process of seeing how low the engine can go,, between the oil pan and the bellhousing, and which one will be the determining factor. So there's a little bit of time to keep running down rabbit holes watching videos and reading threads.

So thanks for the links. I can procrastinate and get something done at the same time...
    Tomorrow the engine plate then it'll be time for fancy stuff, or maybe just learn how to do it. I'll probably scratch the plate up during fabrication so best to wait.

4. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Good plan, I think it's like paint, best saved til last.

5. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Paint and I don't get along too well. Maybe engine turning is what I should do to the body. Of course that means I'd have to make a body of aluminum, and I don't know how to. But it could be a new learning experience...

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

[​IMG]
    Picture a brush like this with a couple of wire ties. They held up fine for me.

Admittedly, it had been some time since I shaved my legs for the in-car glamor shot. I'll do better.

Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  7. At this point in my life, I'll take hair wherever I can grow it. LOL

Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@Dave G in Gansevoort old school way of engine turning is a wooden dowel rod and some lapping compound like Clover. the new way is cretex rods and they come in my grits and sizes.

9. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I assume that you looked at the picture of the fat old guy sitting in the Whatever getting a sense of the height of the roll bar. It's not a pretty sight... sorry!

My brother is folically challenged too. And he's really old...

10. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I'll have to get one and experiment with it. Got lots of time to work out what works for me on the chea.... err, that is the thrifty side.

11. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Talked with the engine builder today. Hes good with the choice of a Canton road race oil pan. It's 7 inches deep, and baffled for turning both ways. This means the bellhousing sets the height of the engine. It will hang down 7.5 inches at its lowest point. So I guessed pretty good when I set that a half inch above the bottom of the bottom tubes of the frame. Tomorrow, layout of the new tooling plate and get it cut out to match the body. My hands are already tingling from running the sabersaw...

12. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Can you use your bandsaw table for the engine plate? Or do you need the infinite depth of cut the sabersaw allows?

13. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Some of the cuts can be made with that tiny, tiny bandsaw. It won't be able to get to the inside of the cutout for the flywheel however. So low speed, lube with paraffin, and set the sabersaw in small orbital cutting mode. But I have to do the layout first. And I'm not feeling it today. As the weather is heading your way, you'll see why...

Maybe later today when it's forecast for the weather to change and the barometer is on the rise again.

14. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Pictures first in no particular order cuz I'm lazy. That's the way they're in the file...
    DSCN1435.JPG DSCN1434.JPG DSCN1433.JPG DSCN1432.JPG DSCN1431.JPG The 1st picture is so far the last step today. All bolt holes drilled, but waiting on the 2 dowel pin holes. Need to make a drill guide bushing.

The 2nd picture is just prior to all holes drilled.

3rd picture shows the outer firewall bolt holes drilled.

4th picture was the 1st 2 holes drilled.

5th picture was the initial layout. I don't use Dykem layout dye, only because I never think to buy it. I just use a maxi-marker. I can get them at the grocery store, so...

Tomorrow, match it to the firewall and frame rails and make the cutouts. Can you feel your hands tingling from the sabersaw yet?

Tman and THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER like this.
  15. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Friday and Saturday's efforts revealed: and yes both days my hands have had that tingling from running the sabersaw so much.
    DSCN1437.JPG DSCN1436.JPG Inside view and outside view of the plate with cutouts and "bluing" removed. Giant magic marker...

Atwater Mike likes this.
  16. I know the feeling

17. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

You got the reply in while I was fixing the flubup. Take another look...

18. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

My fat finger hit the post reply instead of the upload a file. So anyway, I am also making the old first attempt at an engine plate the inside part of Marty Strode's concept for sealing the engine from the interior. But it has my twist, as I am not too well equipped for sheetmetal fabrication. But I broke a bandsaw blade and was hot and tired, so I called it a day. I'll finish that part tomorrow.

19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Okay so start again. I hate it when I do that! Lost the first start on today's excellent adventure in the garage.

I'm mostly finished with my best interpretation of Marty's firewall solution. I don't have many tools for sheetmetal fabrication, so I used what I had, the new tooling plate and the old. You've seen the new engine plate and the cowl support hoop mated, today I finished modifying the old small one to fit inside the cowl support hoop and bolt to the bellhousing.
    DSCN1438.JPG From the front.
    DSCN1440.JPG From the right rear.
    DSCN1439.JPG From the left rear.

lurker mick likes this.
  20. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Had a time out for supper. Getting back to the pictures: if you look closely you can see the 1/4-inch space between the two plates. That's the thickness of the bellhousing flange. It's also the thickness of the body's firewall. I've got a couple of ideas from Marty on how to isolate the body from the plates, and effect a seal.

The bottom of the inner plate is level with the top of the frame rails. With a little bit of effort I'll make a flange to support the front of the floor at that point. The frame rails will support the sides of the floor, and the pending crossmembers will create a surface for the center tunnel, and a driveshaft retaining strap. That's on the list of things to do...

But that's for another day!

21. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Migraine day today, so sitting in the dark and looking at old pictures. These are the influence for some of the Whatever project ideas... IMG_20201013_0023_NEWb.jpg IMG_20201013_0022_NEWb.jpg IMG_20201013_0019_NEWa.jpg IMG_20201013_0019_NEW.jpg IMG_20201013_0013_NEW.jpg IMG_20201013_0012_NEW.jpg IMG_20201013_0011_NEW.jpg The 2nd picture is just some hack taking some half fast laps instead of the regular driver, Jim Langenback. Ma never knew that sometimes it was me in the car. We'd explain the lousy performance on a steering issue. You know, a loose connection between the seat and the steering wheel...

Then I'd have to pull the steering apart the following week to maintain the illusion. I think it worked, because she never said anything about it to me.

ratrodrodder likes this.
  22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Dave,
    In the 3rd picture:
    Rear hub, is that a Winters? I have a pair like that and would love to find two more. There is a Halibrand that is similar. I'll post some pics when I get out to the shop.

23. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I'm not sure of the brand. I got them from Gary's Speed Shop in Watervliet (spelling? ) NY and over the years probably had 6 more. They were lighter than the ones on the front in that same picture, and I felt with the open backing plates would provide better cooling. Must have been something to it, as we never had brake issues with that setup.

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

IMG_4472[1].JPG I was hoping you would say that you had a couple of NOS ones sitting in your shop gathering dust!
    Here are some pics of the hub I'm looking for:
    IMG_4470[1].JPG

IMG_4471[1].JPG

Here is a Halibrand with a similar style
    IMG_4473[1].JPG

25. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

WOW! I'm having a flashback! Yes they are similar. When I was using them, they were not machined for discs, just flat where the studs went thru, for the drums.

26. I have had a few I have sold over the years but, I can't remember what they are. I will pick my dad's brain when I see him tonight.

27. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Robert,
    You were the next person I was going to contact. Will send you a message about some other stuff so as to not clog up Dave's thread.

28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Did some welding and fitting on the Whatever project today. Then cleaned up the garage. It had become a pig sty. DSCN1442.JPG DSCN1441.JPG DSCN1440.JPG DSCN1439.JPG That Vicegrip is off, the steering support is tacked into place and the steering is hooked up and works! It might be a tad slow, but that's easily fixed. Either a longer pitman arm or a steering quickener.

I've checked out the seat to steering wheel position, and it works for my old fat nonbendy body. Of course it's easy to get in the seat without the body, but with a door I should be good!

Now to get some more welding done with the body off, and the structure bolted down to help resist Mr. Shrink! Then work out a floor of some sort. And thanks again to Marty Strode and the many other people who have offered advice or just put so much good information in their threads. I'm thinking that I may use the International master cylinder like Marty has done. However there's a twist I'll be working on.

More to come on that.

Tman, lurker mick, brEad and 3 others like this.