Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Enhancing EMS patch panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, May 13, 2022.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Wow! Seems like someone had to eat his dinner from a litter box last night. Why are you trying to jump on my case ? I confess to the sin of making a typo in your name. I could blame auto correct but I won't. Big deal. That's no reason to get a wire brush up your butt. I spoke of enhancing the panel. I never condemned or insulted it. In fact I clearly stated I was grateful for it and I certainly do wish it was of higher quality as in it fitting correctly. Never did I put it down but since you acknowledge it's not high quality I'm asking you why? I never questioned the price. If it were $200 each and an accurate part I'd gladly pay. Don't bark at me because of your quality short comings. That's your responsibility not mine. You project issues I never had and clearly are the one complaining. I've been a solid supporter of EMS buying all I can from your company. Firewall, floors, trans tunnel, tailpan, quarter panels, cowl patches & braces. Never barked about price. Always glad I had a source of parts that though they required enhancements/tweaking/modifying were available , affordable and made in America. Maybe it is time to retire. Bitching at customers for problems under your control is a clear indicator. Maybe have that brush removed on the way out .
    All the best to you

2. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I agree. I post here and ask questions because I want to improve my skill set. I've gotten overwhelming positive support from HAMB'ers. I enjoy the challenges. There's no losing, only learning.

3. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I've scoured the internet and can't find anything in America. Would this be comparable to a corking set ?

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

So win , win ?:p

chevy3755 likes this.
  5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems to me that this has run its course. Either you like EMS panels or not. And all patch panels need some adjustment - or not. Or make your own if you have the skill set. That should just about cover it. IMO.

6. Hmmmm
    Try searching “chisel with interchangeable bits”
    That version pops up. The sane company might make the “chisel bumping set” or hammer with interchangeable bits bumping set”

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I bought EMS lower door patch panels a couple years ago for my '39 Chev coupe. Got both inner and outer full length patch panels, as the whole bottoms of both doors were rotted away. After marking out my cuts, and removing the inner and outer lower doors I began fitting the inner structure. The new EMS panel was a 1/4" longer than my door, so I had to section out 1/4" and then weld it back together. Outer skin was the same thing; 1/4" too long. Didn't want a weld seam down the middle, so I cut off the rolled lip on one end and had to hammer in a new lip to roll over the inner structure. Same thing on the 2nd door when I test fitted it.

8. D Newcomb

D Newcomb

Look at my avatar- the drake/carpenter tail fit perfectly. The EMS tail had tooo narrow a ledge for the trunk lid. Had to split it and widen it for the lid fit notch. Liked the 18 gage tho. Drake/Carpenter was 20 gage. Newc

Tman likes this.
  9. I'm curious as to how these repop patch panels are made? I assume some of the more complex ones are stamped, but some I've seen look fabricated(pullmax, etc). The OEMs used huge stamping machines to make body panels. I cant see a small company having that same tooling. Maybe that's why accuracy is all over the map?

Tman likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have always had good luck with EMS. I bought the lower front sections (fenders) and the driver's side floor panel, and outer rockers for Mama's 55 Ford. They all fit like a glove. Just saying....

RMONTY likes this.
  11. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

I bought the door bottom patch panels for 40 ford coupe doors from EMS. The inner panels tapered in width front to back and didn't match each other, and the contours of the jams didn't match the doors DSC01137.JPG , so I cut them off and made my own. I had to make a wedge patch for both of the centers to be useable. The outers patches were too long and overlapped the quarters by a 1/8" when fitted to the doors. I would expect this kind of quality coming from China, not the USA!

hotrodA likes this.
  12. Remove the stickers:);)

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well the EMS guy said you could pay more and a better quality panel , so that tells you what you need to know .

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is easy to dog pile a manufacturer on the internet, but I believe it is also important to stand up for them when it is warranted. I have used maybe 30 EMS panels in my hot rod building history and would rate 29 of them very good. Much better than I could do myself.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

15. You have been fortunate Jeff. We had quite a few questionable ones when I was at the shop, but, they were all workable with a little tweaking. Now that Sherman panel..............wish i had snapped a pic back then!

16. I bet if you took 10 of the same make and model of car from the era we are talking about you would be luck to get 2 that matched from the factory. These were not precision built vehicles. Look at any high end builder and they are making multiple "fixes" to factory panels to get them to match and fit properly. To expect any company to make a panel to fit your specific car exactly is a pipe dream. Especially if you are spending $85.00.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it is not just EMT, it is everyone. bought some panels from EMC (?) for a 72 Suburban and they were poor fitting as well. same with the under the rear bumper panel on a Mustang I did... it was 1" too short.

my first rust repair job was a Sunbeam Alpine. I met the owner as he was cutting all the needed parts from another car at the junk yard and they all fit perfect.

rules for patch panels: factory parts are best. do not buy aftermarket panels unless you are doing the work, and if you buy aftermarket be prepared for some cutting and bending AND USE AS LITTLE OF THE PANEL AS POSSIBLE.
    had a guy who bought some bead rolled garbage floor pans for a 52 Chevrolet and he insisted I use them. it would have been cheaper for him had I just started with flat sheet than to use those panels. in hindsight I should have just refused the job.

Lloyd's paint & glass and Tman like this.
  18. LMC maybe?

49ratfink likes this.
  19. I usually bitch more when I can't get a patch panel lmao!

20. So the guy who makes panels that aren’t perfect complains to the guy who bought the panel that he got his name not perfect…..In boxing that’s called a draw….

lewk, Do it Over, NoelC and 2 others like this.
  21. 0F1BFA46-E0B6-4D02-AD23-1833A608A90B.jpeg

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  22. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

But, it will matter if the stickers are on or off, :D

WiredSpider, anthony myrick and Tman like this.
  23. manyolcars

manyolcars

That EMS guy said that we complain about his prices. I bet he lives in a mansion.

24. 6inarow

6inarow

See, thats the whole deal. Dont like the body shop? learn to do it yourself. Same with interiors, wiring, assembly...... almost the whole gamut for your car. Not defending anyone or throwing anyone under the bus. But thats how we get some of the best hot rods done by "amateurs".

Tman and redoxide like this.
  25. I learned years ago in my Business and had this emblazoned on my receipts, " If your happy with our services tell everyone you know, If your not tell me, I'll make it right."

Fortunately, the internet didn't exist and it's real easy to bad mouth a business that someone worked tireless to build and makes hundreds of parts.

I have yet to see a aftermarket reproduction patch panel fit like it should, there is always some work to make it fit your particular car or truck.

The EMS guy got defensive after being thrown under the bus and blew his cool, it's understandable , he is trying to give us hot roddders the parts we need to fix the rusty crap we are working on.

His alternative is to stop making the parts people are complaining about, and they they will complain about the availability of said part. you can't make everyone happy. HRP

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  26. NoelC

NoelC

I call Bull shit. But to explain that call, if the factory can produce a die with a crisp line, edge, radius, surely the complaining is justified. For as long as this Company has been in business... Detroit, MI the home of panel stamping...it's not rocket science to figure out the problem and who isn't spending the profits to fix it, improve it, listen to the complaints and do something about it.

Categorized under Car Parts and Accessories Manufacturers. Our records show it was established in 1998 and incorporated in GA. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 103461 and employs a staff of approximately 1.

hotrodssheetmetal.com

Hot Rods World Wide Acworth GA, 30101 – Manta.com

Why, because that isn't the way our system works. Deny, deny, deny, excuse, excuse excuse. Beg for forgiveness.
    While not precision vehicles, they were precise enough to be assmembled in mass. And while those high end builders are tweeking, any one paying $100 an hour would expect no less a Rolex for Quality.
    Ya think they'd settle for a Timex when dumping large chunks of cash?

$85 bucks and what I expect... how about my money's worth. 2 for $85? Not if your Canadian, Aussi, Euro. They're milking the last of the squeeze from the orange. And if they do pack it in, I won't be shedding a tear.

27. Good point. I would also like to add that home builders have been upping the ante exponentially the last couple decades. Shareing on the internet has been a huge part of this. Guys like @flamedabone saving total turds that would have been scrapped years ago

X38 likes this.
  28. Walk a mile in his shoes.

29. NoelC

NoelC

I'm walking in the shoes of the guy who spent the money, not the guy who pocketed it.

Irish Mike, Do it Over and Tman like this.