Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1950's high school hot rod book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brutus t maximus, May 16, 2022.

1. i recall reading this book when i was maybe in 8th grade, found it in the school library

the theme was this kid that started to build a hotrod, i recall the details pretty well as i about wore the book out, checking it out, reading it, checking in, wash rinse repeat for maybe half the school year

i recall the jalopy he was building, he put in a buick engine, and a lasalle manual transmission, i recall both as my dad was a buick lover and i never saw one with a stick shift, and i had no idea where i would ever find a lasalle transmission at least in central kansas in the mid 60's.

the story went on about him collecting and fitting parts, like friction shocks, and how he took them apart, cleaned and installed them, and how he fussed about getting them setup right.

lastly i remember him strapping down a little notebook to his right thigh so that he could pencil in what was happening while he would take it out for test runs. i remember the notebook thing as it seemed like a really good idea to me at age 13 or so.

btw, my dad had given me a wrecked from the rear, 1957 buick super 2dr ht, with a perfect running 322 nailhead, so of course this book really got my attention.. i had the engine! and i asked high and low about finding a lasalle transmission, and couldn't find anyone in my little home town that had ever heard of a lasalle car, let alone one of the manual transmissions.

i would really love to get my hands on a copy of that book and wondered if the above struck a chord with anyone here, that might remember reading it and the name of the book.

tia

btm

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  2. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

The book is Hot Rod by Henry Gregor Felsen

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

There are threads here about Felsens books

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. I remember something similar... it had a drawing of a '46 (?) Buick on the cover. Same one?

41 GMC K-18 likes this.

5. There is plenty of hot rod activity in your area. You should get several helpful responses.

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

Notepad on leg I rember that exactly read that in junior high or high school , and maybe same book ( I rember ) his girlfriend mixed pink and copper nail polishes together and came up with the car color? , I’m 55 that was long ago
    Fabricator john
    Miss you dad

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  7. I seem to recall that Felsen's daughter was a member here a few years back.
    :cool:

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. @hjfelsen has not been here since last December.