Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is There A Website For Those Who Fabricate Aluminum Bodies, Etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl Hungness, May 14, 2022.

1. Carl Hungness

Carl Hungness

The headline says it all. I'm seeking a website that is dedicated to aluminum-steel fabricators working in the automotive-hot rod-custom car business. I'm hoping to locate a set of Burt Weld lenses for welding aluminum with oxy-acetylene.
    The H.A.M.B. is about the best I've found so far, and wondering if any others exist.

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Try Metalmeet.

http://www.metalmeet.com/

How do Bert Weld lenses differ from, say, other gas welding or plasma cutting lenses?
    I have a couple sets of old welding goggles that were my dads - that's why I ask.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. redo32

redo32

Last edited: May 14, 2022

5. Mimilan

Mimilan

Try Allmetalshaping
    https://www.allmetalshaping.com/

or https://weldingweb.com/vbb/

6. Carl Hungness

Carl Hungness

The Burt Weld lenses are greenish and absolutely perfect for welding aluminum. A fabricator friend gave me a demonstration last week, we tried the Tin Man lenses, that are very good and usable. However the Burt Weld lenses are about 20% better in my opinion, as I was able to switch between the two. The Tin Man lenses are darker, so it may be best to use a whole lot of light, or try to weld outside. Plus, the most important part I discovered in oxy welding aluminum is to use hydrogen, not acetylene. Hydrogen burns cooler, it is tough to see the flame, and tougher to see the cone in the middle of the flame, but it sure worked better than acetylene.

7. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

You Have to Check out Wray Schelin at ProShaper a quick goole search or on U-Tube. Wray offers real usable information on working Aluminum and building everything.

chevyfordman likes this.
  8. Carl Hungness

Carl Hungness

I've watched hours of his videos, plan to take the longest course he offers..thanks. I want to show up at his shop with some Burt Weld lenses and a bottle of hydrogen.

9. "Cornfield Customs" is another good one. Cornfields on the HAMB and Facebook along with YouTubes. He's built several aluminum bodied cars.

10. Carl Hungness

Carl Hungness

Familiar with Cornfield customs, they do fabulous work. Thanks.